New Bike Creaking - Shop Wants $$

Postby x2funwheels on Fri 21st Jul 2:33pm

Hi Guys. Need some advice. 7 weeks ago I purchased a NEW 2017 GT Verb Expert. I took it back to the shop for the complimentary 6wk check. It had developed a creaking sound whenever I mounted/dismounted the bike. They have advised that the rear pivot bearings are rusted out!!!! This noise appeared on like the 3rd ride (wk 2 or 3?). It has had 3 damp rides and washed twice with standard garden hose on mist spray... last wash was day before taking it into the shop.
My question is... does this sound normal?
The shop is saying that I have washed my bike incorrectly and they are wanting to charge me for the bearings too (under 2 mths OLD!)
Should/can bearings rust out this quickly?
Should this not be covered under GT warranty as failure occurred so quickly?
Please your opinions are valued!

http://www.evolutioncycles.co.nz/index. ... t_id=65433
x2funwheels
Member for: 3 months 4 weeks

Re: New Bike Creaking - Shop Wants $$

Postby Claude on Fri 21st Jul 7:50pm

My few cents worth - I reckon they're just trying to sidestep the liability. I bit of washing like that over such a short timeframe shouldn't have rusted them out to that extent. I'd suggest the bike builder has skimped on the grease!
Good luck!
Claude
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby Nathan007 on Sat 22nd Jul 12:37am

There are. A lot of things that cause creaking on a bike. Even a new bike. But I would expect the bearings to be sealed enough to last longer than a couple of month's without rusting.
Nathan007
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Rik on Sat 22nd Jul 9:30am

Isn't the verb GTs entry level fully. If they have speced cheap ass bearings and skimped on the grease. Left wet in the garage for a week or so and they'll rust. The positives are, get some decent bearings installed and you'll have years of happy riding
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Conners on Sat 22nd Jul 10:42am

Rik wrote:Isn't the verb GTs entry level fully. If they have speced cheap ass bearings and skimped on the grease. Left wet in the garage for a week or so and they'll rust. The positives are, get some decent bearings installed and you'll have years of happy riding

Agreed.
If it was me I'd be popping the seals off the bearings, flushing with crc and freeing them up. Let them dry out totally and then pack with grease, pop seals back in and see how it goes.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Wobbler on Sat 22nd Jul 11:16am

nah fuck that noise, they should replace them

are there actually any washing instructions in the manual?
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 22nd Jul 2:42pm

"fit for purpose" in the CGA is your friend here.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby matnz on Tue 25th Jul 2:01pm

Did the instruction manual they gave you give instructions for washing the bike? If so, did you follow them? CGA - its on them to put it right or give you your money back if there was no manual, no instructions in the manual or you followed the manuals instructions. They might have a claim if you had admitted to using a 3000psi water blaster to wash it.

Don't take crap - if you get any push back from them, escalate to the distributor.

http://www.gtbicycles.com/nzl_en/contacts

NEW ZEALAND
W.H. Worrall & Co.
12 Hugo Johnston Drive
Penrose Aukland New Zealand
tel: + 64-9-636-0641
fax: + 64-9-636-0631
davem@worrall.co.nz

And if that does not work, you always have the disputes tribunal.

Whatever happens, find a better LBS.
matnz
Member for: 2 years 6 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts