This topic has not been added to any channels. This will make it hard for users to find. Type relevant channels into the Add Channel box to add them.

New Android App - Thoughts??

Postby poodleboy on Fri 19th May 1:01pm

Hi all,

Just published an app on Google Play Store called "Mountain Lab". It allows you to record your time on the trails and create your own tracks through your phone's GPS. If anyone is interested, it's free to download (for Android devices only sorry). Bear in mind it's still early on development! There is a very limited number of tracks available, however the more tracks you create, the more I can add to the app. If you have any feedback or have some ideas on features you would like to see added, let me know.

Link to app: [url]https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.morganandwife.mountainlab&hl=en
[/url]

Cheers
poodleboy
Member for: 5 months 1 week

Re: New Android App - Thoughts??

Postby dwgknz on Fri 19th May 1:52pm

How is it different to Strava or Trailforks?
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Fri 19th May 3:09pm

Probably had more ads or malware.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby poodleboy on Fri 19th May 5:53pm

I don't think you can record your time with Trailforks. Can't say I've ever used Strava.

Btw, NO malware or ads! Clean, green NZ made. This is just a side project I've worked. If you find use for it, then I'll continue to develop it
poodleboy
Member for: 5 months 1 week

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Fri 19th May 11:08pm

Strava is the most popular cycling recording app.
Does both the things your app can do and more.
No ads either.

Check it out, it's great :)
Astoria Paranoia

Postby Conners on Sun 21st May 2:47pm

It also links to Relive, which gives you a video projection of your ride - which can be pretty cool.

https://www.relive.cc/view/994908523
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sun 21st May 3:44pm

And to VeloViewer for more in-depth analysis.
Astoria Paranoia

Postby Dougal on Mon 22nd May 12:01pm

poodleboy wrote:Hi all,

Just published an app on Google Play Store called "Mountain Lab". It allows you to record your time on the trails and create your own tracks through your phone's GPS. If anyone is interested, it's free to download (for Android devices only sorry). Bear in mind it's still early on development! There is a very limited number of tracks available, however the more tracks you create, the more I can add to the app. If you have any feedback or have some ideas on features you would like to see added, let me know.

Link to app: [url]https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.morganandwife.mountainlab&hl=en
[/url]

Cheers

How does it store and replay?

Many people want to be able to record and review tracks while keeping control of their data and not making tracks public. I used to use Google Tracks but it's now dead. It recorded to GPX.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby dwgknz on Mon 22nd May 12:54pm

Dougal wrote:Many people want to be able to record and review tracks while keeping control of their data and not making tracks public. I used to use Google Tracks but it's now dead. It recorded to GPX.

Speaking of long dead websites, and hijacking a dying thread, I stumbled across a 15 year old forum on RideMonkey when looking at the pro and cons of different suspension designs. Apparently Dougal's World was the place to go. How great was this site??
dwgknz

Postby Dougal on Mon 22nd May 1:14pm

dwgknz wrote:Speaking of long dead websites, and hijacking a dying thread, I stumbled across a 15 year old forum on RideMonkey when looking at the pro and cons of different suspension designs. Apparently Dougal's World was the place to go. How great was this site??

Long dead? It's still up.

Dougal.Co.nz
Dougal

Postby dwgknz on Mon 22nd May 1:35pm

I searched, but couldn't find anything.....
dwgknz

Postby Dougal on Mon 22nd May 2:08pm

dwgknz wrote:I searched, but couldn't find anything.....

Type it into your address bar

http://www.dougal.co.nz/index.html
Dougal

Postby dwgknz on Mon 22nd May 2:46pm

I found it when you gave me the address. I couldn't find it when I read about it on ride monkey.
dwgknz

Postby Dougal on Mon 22nd May 3:23pm

dwgknz wrote:I found it when you gave me the address. I couldn't find it when I read about it on ride monkey.

There's a no-bots script in the host it's on. Apparently they work!
Dougal

Postby Conners on Tue 23rd May 7:28pm

Dougal wrote:
poodleboy wrote:Hi all,

[/url]

Cheers

How does it store and replay?

Many people want to be able to record and review tracks while keeping control of their data and not making tracks public. I used to use Google Tracks but it's now dead. It recorded to GPX.

Are you worried about your data in terms of keeping secret tracks secret? Or in a big brother watching where you are kind of way?

If it's the former, any ride can be marked as private on Strava.
If it's the latter, I suggest big brother has more import things to worry about than a few squiggles on the landscape around Central :)

Pretty sure the paid version of Strava lets you export GPX or some such format.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

- Latest Posts