Re: New Alcohol Laws

Postby philstar on Wed 25/Aug/10 12:09pm

j2hyde wrote:
wuffy wrote:Nothing CAN stop them (Boyracers), nothing HAS. All they do now is do it in places less centre city and more rural and all its done is get more complaints from other places, i.e. Rangiora etc.

Incorrect. It would be very easy to simply ban jap imports, then ban vehicle modifications and require compulsory comprehensive insurance. And jail people who don't pay fines, or just look the other way when the cops systemically beat the shit out of repeat offenders (like they do in Queensland).

incorrect,
you can't define modified vehicles ( is a towbar a modification, or how bout non-factory parts?)
compulsory insurance will only make thrd party insurance more expensive for those who already get it.
jailing people will just full our jails with more people, community service would be better.
and as for looking the other way, I'd rather live in a country with boy racers, than live with a corrupt police force. that’s like chopping off you hand cos your finger hurts.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 25/Aug/10 12:21pm

philstar wrote:
j2hyde wrote:
wuffy wrote:Nothing CAN stop them (Boyracers), nothing HAS. All they do now is do it in places less centre city and more rural and all its done is get more complaints from other places, i.e. Rangiora etc.

Incorrect. It would be very easy to simply ban jap imports, then ban vehicle modifications and require compulsory comprehensive insurance. And jail people who don't pay fines, or just look the other way when the cops systemically beat the shit out of repeat offenders (like they do in Queensland).

incorrect,
you can't define modified vehicles ( is a towbar a modification, or how bout non-factory parts?)
compulsory insurance will only make thrd party insurance more expensive for those who already get it.
jailing people will just full our jails with more people, community service would be better.
and as for looking the other way, I'd rather live in a country with boy racers, than live with a corrupt police force. that’s like chopping off you hand cos your finger hurts.

Hong Kong is one place the springs to mind, put a pod fiter or a set of extractors on a car, get caught, the car is permanently de-registered

a tow bar is quite different from fitting items to alter the "performance" of a vehicle, and is quite easy to define if you know what you are doing

I admit I would be dispointed to see a total crack down on boi racers, but beleive that we need to crack down on the illegal mods and some of the general moronism that average boi racer displays

3rd party compulsory insurance is a good idea IMHO, not just to cut down on the boi racers, but also for those who drive rubish cars
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 25/Aug/10 12:35pm

Increase the fines hugely and let the police confiscate any and all cars being driven irresponsibly on the street, but at the same time build some place for the boyracers to go. Skaters get skate parks, mountain bikers get mountain bike parks (etc etc), just buy some useless land, lay down some tarseal, Put a bigass tough fence around it and open it at nights on the weekend with the pigs in attendance to keep them under control. Make it clear that they use the facility at their own risk. It'd be no more dangerous than the boyracers than driving on the streets (probably less so), and it would be a hell of a lot safer for everyone else.

And then anyone caught racing on the street = peppersprayed, tazed, beatdown + lose their car for good + fines.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

National Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts