Re: New Alcohol Laws

Postby j2hyde on Mon 23/Aug/10 9:43pm

The new laws seem OK to me. They probably won't achieve much but considering binge drinking is a cultural norm any radical changes would be politically unacceptable.

And the younguns cant really complain they're still allowed in the pub.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby znomit on Mon 23/Aug/10 9:48pm

j2hyde wrote:And the younguns cant really complain they're still allowed in the pub.

But they cant have a beer with their fish'n'chips on friday night in front of the telly. Unless they get their mummy to buy it.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Joel on Mon 23/Aug/10 9:53pm

i think the off license sale of alchohol should be limited to those over 35, and pub entry limited to over 35 for guys but over 18 for chicks.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Oli on Mon 23/Aug/10 9:57pm

Joel wrote:i think the off license sale of alchohol should be limited to those over 35, and pub entry limited to over 35 for guys but over 18 for chicks.

:withstupid:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby j2hyde on Mon 23/Aug/10 10:00pm

Correction: 16 for chicks
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Mon 23/Aug/10 10:02pm

pervert :hmmm:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby wuffy on Mon 23/Aug/10 10:30pm

Conners wrote:wuffy I'm confused - are you for it or against it?

Against it. The suggestions they have made won't change anything, and will just piss a lot of people off. They should do something that helps more than trying to fix a broken leg with a band-aid on the forehead.
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 23/Aug/10 11:30pm

- Putting the drinking age up was probably necessary even if it won't do a damn thing. Should have put it back to 20 across the board though.
- Limiting the spread of places that can sell alcohol might cut back on the kids who buy it from shady dairys, but just cutting back on the number of outlets won't suddenly stop people from drinking. Few/no people walk past a bottle shop and go "Fuck, I know, I'll go get wasted. Right now". People will still buy the same amount of booze, they'll just have to go a bit further to get it.
- Mostly the law seems to want to punish kids by taking away their cheap and sugary booze, whereas there's plenty of older problem drinkers who aren't being addressed at all. Loads of youngins drink RTDs responsibly, and loads of older people drink wine and top shelf like total mongoloids.

To reduce the harm alcohol does what they needed to do more than anything else was REDUCE THE FUCKING DRINK DRIVING LIMIT LIKE EVERYONE WHO KNOWS BETTER THAN THE POLITICIANS KEEPS FUCKING TELLING THEM TO DO. But of course being a limp-dick government that won't risk upsetting people (unless they can deliver a huge amount of $$$ to their buddies, in which case the risk of upsetting people might be worth it) they didn't do that.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Mon 23/Aug/10 11:49pm

They should ban cheap booze, like beer and premixed drinks, so all the lower classes who drink beer and fizzy alcohol can't buy it. That would solve the problem right there.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby fatwombat on Tue 24/Aug/10 4:54am

happybaboon wrote:To reduce the harm alcohol does what they needed to do more than anything else was REDUCE THE FUCKING DRINK DRIVING LIMIT LIKE EVERYONE WHO KNOWS BETTER THAN THE POLITICIANS KEEPS FUCKING TELLING THEM TO DO. But of course being a limp-dick government that won't risk upsetting people (unless they can deliver a huge amount of $$$ to their buddies, in which case the risk of upsetting people might be worth it) they didn't do that.

They were sitting around the Cabinet table thinking "Shit, if I can't drive with any alcohol in my system, when will I ever get to enjoy all my free-from-the-taxpayer grog ... and I can't use the chauffered car or the driver might tell my wife whose places I stop off at on the way home".

I remember when the minimum age was 21 for everything - drinking, voting, getting married without parental consent ... that was back when the huge majority of the population left school at 15-17 years old and started earning their own way in life, so they had to spend 4-6 years practising at being responsible adult members of society (yeah right) before they got the privileges. Now, most people finish their education at uni at 22-25 years old, so add on 5 years for integrating as responsible adult members of society and a drinking-voting age of approximately 30 looks about right.
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Conners on Tue 24/Aug/10 7:50am

wuffy wrote:
Conners wrote:wuffy I'm confused - are you for it or against it?

Against it. The suggestions they have made won't change anything, and will just piss a lot of people off. They should do something that helps more than trying to fix a broken leg with a band-aid on the forehead.

And just what do you propose as the ultimate solution?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby wachtourak on Tue 24/Aug/10 7:52am

Put all drunk and disorderly reets in a gas chamber
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Kipper on Tue 24/Aug/10 8:20am

Seems to me that National have done the minimum to look like they are doing something without pissing off too much of the electorate and their mates at Lion Nathan.

The issue is a binge drinking culture and I'll freely admit I've got no ideas on how to fix that one.
Kipper
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Trail on Tue 24/Aug/10 9:00am

Meh. As Kipper says the issue is our culture not the drinking age.

Finding a way to get rid of the dirt cheap crap booze so that binge drinkers basically cannot afford to "go buy a box" and then get wasted on it might change things a little?? Plonk some more tax on the cheap booze and put it back into the health care system that has to pick up after the drunks who have accidents...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby kiwi_zg on Tue 24/Aug/10 9:47am

Drunken-youths-trash-house
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/local/4053698/Drunken-youths-trash-house

Obviously many of the younger drinkers don't deserve to drink, as many can't do it in a respectful manner.

We could take some lessons from Italy and France and other parts of continental Europe where drinking wine at the family dinner at a young age is part of the culture. But I'm thinking is too late in NZ, the damage is done.
It will probably take a few generations of ween of the binge drinking mentality.
kiwi_zg
Member for: 8 years 9 months

National Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts