Need Advise On Nelson Mountain Bike Rides!

Postby pivot67 on Tue 27/Jan/15 5:20pm

Hi, I am coming from North and plan to spend 2 days riding awesome trails in Nelson.

Need advise on the followings:
1. Best place to stay at Nelson for easy access to all the mountain bike parks
2. Since I only have 2 days to ride, which are the best trails to ride?

PS: Prefer all mountain ride, no big drop and gap jump. :p

THANK YOU!
pivot67
Member for: 5 years 1 month

Re: Need Advise On Nelson Mountain Bike Rides!

Postby Slim on Tue 27/Jan/15 8:37pm

Take a look at the Nelson MTB club website, it lists everything in the area and logging status.

I'm up there a bit for work. We normally stay at any of the cbd motels, ride in codgers, and re-hydrate at the free house.
Slim
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby mfw on Tue 27/Jan/15 9:36pm

The following are mostly grade 3 - 4

Codgers: 1-2 hours
Unfortunately some of the best tracks (Turners, Top Dog) have just closed due to forestry work, however, the following tracks still rock:
Up: Old Codgers / Pipeline / Jacks track / Firball to Trig
Down: Firball / Pipeline / Gulley track
Note, Firball is a circular track, in 3 segments, normally ridden anticlockwise, can be confusing, and not to be confused with Fireball road
Optional side trip: Viral flow

Sharlands / Hira MTB park 2-4 hours
Up: Sharland rd
Down: R&R / reclimb a bit then Wiggles / Waggles / Waterloo / What Dr Ordered / Willow Lane
Optional side trips for more knarl: Supplejack / Maitai Face / Rimu

Involution 2 hours
Up: Barnicoate / Widdershins (or climb Involution if you like a challenge)
Down: Involution

Coppermine loop: 3-4 hours

Fringed Hill / Sunshine Ridge / Peaking Ridge / 629 (grade 5)

Further afield:
Richmond: Kingsland Forest, I haven't yet ridden these tracks

Kaiteriteri: 2 hours, best fun you can have without rocks or roots

Canaan Downs / Rameka then singletracks back to Takaka (4 hours)

More adventureous options:
Helibiking: http://www.helibikenelson.co.nz/

There is a MTB mapbook you can buy in R&R Sport (now Torpedo7) on Rutherford St
mfw
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 27/Jan/15 9:53pm

mfw wrote:Fringed Hill / Sunshine Ridge / Peaking Ridge / (grade 5)

4 hours. Some walking involved, but THE quintessential Nelson riding, IMHO.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby ape on Tue 27/Jan/15 10:11pm

What everyone has said so far is pretty good advice, but how fit are you. A lot of nelson folk are very fit. MFW's times may be a bit on the fast side of average for some of those rides.

(I've taken bunches over Coppermine and taken over 7 hours to do the loop (but then again I've done it in well under 3). It's by no means the best trail we've got to offer, but depending on where you're from, there's a good chance you won't have ridden anything like it. Nice steady gradient climb to 875?m good views and varied bush, with a little historical charm thrown into the mix. (just take some warm clothes and food as it's a proper alpine area and weather up there can hammer you.)then much steeper descent... it used to be a really fun techy descent with some funky rock gardens, now it's been groomed to within an inch of its life so could be described as a beginner track (apart from the elevation) but it's steep enough that you can get enough speed to have some fun.

Also, even more of codgers is closed due to the fact that the council has gone back in to tidy up some logging/storm damage from last winter... (old codgers is closed, but I believe you can still get up to firball)

also, if you want to ride in sharlands (hira forest) you need a permit, (last time I checked, it was $5 or $10 for a month from pretty much any bike store in town)

Steve (owns helibike nelson - who do shuttles in vans as well) uploaded a whole bunch of track plots to http://www.tracks.org.nz, this should give you an idea of a fair bit of what's out there, but I think most of them are 5 years old., so it's worth buying his book too if you can get a copy...

As far as places to stay go., it all depends on what kinda $$ you want to spend... I've heard good things about paradiso backpackers, and the Prince albert is about as close as you can get to the brook and maitai, but really, as long as you're somewhere in nelson, it takes 5 minutes to get from one side to the other on a bike.

as mentioned by others, the slog up fringed hill road, black diamond ridge, sunshine ridge, peaking ridge is friggin amazing, but it is serious riding, you're in the middle of nowhere, might well not see anyone all day, and if you wreck yourself, I wouldn't count on cellphone reception.
ape
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby jo on Wed 28/Jan/15 9:17am

I'm in nelson next week and am taking notes. :cool:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby Iseneye on Wed 28/Jan/15 10:16am

mfw wrote:Codgers: 1-2 hours
Unfortunately some of the best tracks (Turners, Top Dog) have just closed due to forestry work, however, the following tracks still rock:

Is Turners closed? We rode it last week after work and didn't see any signs. Climbed Fireball Road way.
Iseneye
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby mfw on Wed 28/Jan/15 12:40pm

I've just got back from holiday so haven't been up there recently, I was just interpreting this:
NMTBC wrote:Codgers - harvest update

As you might have seen on our website or Facebook page the final phase of harvesting has just started in Codgers. This work will last for at least four weeks. The good news is that Pipeline, Jack's Track, Firball and IV Line will remain open. Access will only be via Tantragee Road (past the community gardens), so please follow all signs, don't climb any fences and follow all verbal instructions from workers whilst the harvesting operation is taking place.

But New Turners and climbing track (to return back up) are a must do if open post2608803.html :D
mfw

Postby pivot67 on Wed 28/Jan/15 4:47pm

Thanks all for the advise. You guys rock!
pivot67
Member for: 5 years 1 month

Postby mfw on Wed 28/Jan/15 8:51pm

pivot67 wrote:Thanks all for the advise. You guys rock!

No worries, you can repay us with a ride report afterwards :D
mfw

Postby Barbsarama on Wed 28/Jan/15 9:31pm

*advice :)
Barbsarama
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Nelson Region | New Zealand | Regions | Upper South Island - Latest Posts