Ss Nationals - Queenstown

Postby BUSHLOVERACING on Tue 27/Apr/10 7:23pm

Just like all the best things in life for singlespeeds had moved South for the year. While not as big a field as Rotorua the previous two years a top field had lined up with Ex national champions, Olympians, Kiwi brevet winners, a seedy guy called Garth, hairy men in dresses, fairies, members of the village people and a fearsome looking bumblebee. Unlike these collections of freaks I maintained the bushlove flare for style with a subtle sophistication in a hot pink sequined skinsuit.
ImageNot just being content with looking stylish the skinsuit also served the dual purpose of aerodynamics. Extensive testing at the bushlove high performance lab revealed a 1.6W/Min/m/kg advantage over a nurses outfit and fishnets. This was an advantage I'd need every bit of.

You see back in the day I was a proper singlespeeder. For the better part of 3 years I pretty much rode only singlespeeds no matter how inappropriate the ride. For much of the time I didn't even own a geared bike (although at one time still had 5 bikes) and never really missed them. The reason I got into singlespeeding was pretty simple, I hated cleaning my bike, but once its sucked you into its hard to go back. This all changed last year when I snapped my frame leaving me without a ss for a few months. Since then I haven't ridden a ss so had no idea how this race would go.

ImageAs with all singlespeed races a zany start was required so we lined up for a 500m run with our front wheels. Unlike some of the other Bushlovers I'm no Bi-athlete so was quickly dropped off the line by Garth and was well stuffed by the time I got back to my bike. After fumblingto get my wheel back on I was off.
ImageThe Queenstown mtb club had put on a phenomenal course for the race basedat 7 mile delta. For those who haven't ridden the tracks I'll just say they are awesome and you should go ride them now. With 100% singletrack with a total of 10m of flat track it certainly was a riders course. Having never ridden the tracks before, I quickly found was massively overgeared, oh well I'm used to rocking more (gear) inches than most.

ImageBack to therace a local Jimmy had got off to a flier getting a break on the field from the start. Garth, Andy Reid, Marcus Roy and myself formed the chasing pack and rode together for the first 3/4 of a lap till Garth showed his class and broke away. I kept riding with the remaining two till the first beer stop where they kept going while I stopped for my first beer of the day.
ImageUp to this stage I was riding like a mong, running pinches and generally lacking any kind of ss class. Some stage on lap 2 though, my moment of zen occurred and I flicked back to ss mode remembering all the little tips to being a singlespeeder.

Sadly on lap 3 Andy who had snuckahead of me when he took a beer stop had an epic spill breaking his collarbone and loosing a boob from his fetching netball dress in the process. Hopefully he's recovering well and didn't get too many strange looks at the local hospital.

I ended up riding the rest of the race solo and loved every minute of it. Jimmy was always just ahead of me but I could never close the gap. I could quite happily have kept lapping them out all afternoon as the course was that good. Showboating across the line I was pretty happy with my third place. Congratulations to Garth who is in amazing form at the moment riding better than I've ever seen. I'm expecting big things of him at the worlds.

Big thanks to the Queenstown mtb club for putting on an awesome race, all the racers and the Queenstown weather which held off from the torrential downpour of the rest of the weekend for the race.

Next race is the Cycle Surgery singletrack fiesta. I hope to see you all there (and I promise I won't wear my skinsuit)

Link to original article: http://www.bushloveracing.com/2010/04/s ... stown.html
Sourced from RSS Feed: http://www.bushloveracing.com/feeds/pos ... lt?alt=rss
Original Published: 5:22pm Tuesday, 27th April 2010 - NZST
BUSHLOVERACING
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Re: Ss Nationals - Queenstown

Postby dented on Tue 27/Apr/10 9:27pm

:D
:thumbsup:
Well done on 3rd Nick
dented
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Nick_K on Tue 27/Apr/10 9:56pm

Cheers Dented. Are you still rocking the singlespeed these days?
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby james on Tue 27/Apr/10 10:02pm

the onesie is epic, nice race :thumbsup:
james
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby dented on Tue 27/Apr/10 10:11pm

Nick_K wrote:Cheers Dented. Are you still rocking the singlespeed these days?

Good question. As a rule, No. Though I am entered for the worlds in October, and recently resurrected the first MTB I ever bought in 1995, to SS mode, and rode it for 2 hours at Whakarewarewa yesterday. I fully relate to what you say about it taking a while to get the zen thing happening, its not automatic. But this thing is a full rigid 26er with wack geo, V-brakes and it weighs 14kg. So basically its a bitch to ride, but I loved it anyway. The real time and money is going to go towards my costume. Oh Yes.
dented

Postby MTBChick on Thu 29/Apr/10 9:04pm

Haha good man Nick - caught this shot of you too! Have heaps more photos if anyone wants a looksy. Got some awesome footage of Amy Laird chucking up her beers!

25126_1430961299609_1400162031_31194146_3351010_n.jpg
MTBChick
"Learning from the big kids"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby Nick_K on Thu 29/Apr/10 9:11pm

MTBChick wrote:Haha good man Nick - caught this shot of you too! Have heaps more photos if anyone wants a looksy. Got some awesome footage of Amy Laird chucking up her beers!

Lol, what the hell am I up to there? You can vouch for my epic drinking ability (Davo doesn't believe me)
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby dented on Thu 29/Apr/10 9:15pm

Looks like you're about to throw up into your handbag, to me.
dented

Postby MTBChick on Thu 29/Apr/10 9:16pm

From memory you had just finished sculling the beer and were pushing off for another lap - epic effort there repping Bushlove on the SS - the atmosphere was pretty awesome!
MTBChick

Postby yak71 on Thu 29/Apr/10 9:43pm

MTBChick wrote:Haha good man Nick - caught this shot of you too! Have heaps more photos if anyone wants a looksy. Got some awesome footage of Amy Laird chucking up her beers!

More pics please.....
Still trying to find one of me actually riding on a trail not just at the start/finish.
yak71
"yeah definitely"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby alchemist on Fri 30/Apr/10 8:18am

Here's a few pics, not many since I was supposed to be racing,
alchemist
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby psychavoc on Fri 30/Apr/10 10:28am

Great race report, and well done Nick! :)

Does anyone know where I can find full results? :eh:
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby Garth on Fri 30/Apr/10 10:42am

I think the guy in the chair is waiting for a lap dance Nick.

[/quote]
Garth
"My other bike is a..... singlespeed"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby MTBChick on Sat 1/May/10 8:02pm

yak71 wrote:

More pics please.....
Still trying to find one of me actually riding on a trail not just at the start/finish.

I'm lazy and haven't put them on Flickr yet. So they are on Facebook - lemme know if they don't work.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?ai ... 1400162031
MTBChick

Postby gibbo on Sat 1/May/10 10:15pm

MTBChick wrote:
yak71 wrote:

More pics please.....

I'm lazy and haven't put them on Flickr yet. So they are on Facebook - lemme know if they don't work.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?ai ... 1400162031

Tagged a couple of familiar faces(if you dont mind).
gibbo
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Bushlove Racing | Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Vogs | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts