Re: National Park Boundaries - Paparoa - Croesus

Postby Kevin Hague on Sun 4/Jul/10 7:31pm

It's the old Coolgardie Track (or part of it - another part runs from Mt. Davy through to Roa, at least on old maps, though we couldn't find the Roa end when we went looking for it a couple of years ago). Haven't ridden it, but have walked up - it's hellish steep for large parts, quite similar to the top section of the Croesus on the Barrytown side.
Kevin Hague
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Sun 4/Jul/10 10:11pm

Top section of Croesus on Barrytown side is fantastic!!

http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com ... -bazvegas/
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Jono on Sun 4/Jul/10 11:14pm

Looks mint. I really enjoyed the trip up to ces clarke hut that we did (in a torrential downpour) several years back. The descent made it worthwhile riding my 43 pound VP-free up to the top :thumbsup: (the rocky section near the hut was a knee-deep stream by the time that we were heading down)
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby Sickman on Mon 5/Jul/10 2:24am

Kevin is no the mark. I walked up it to Mt Davy 3 years ago (fantastic country up there). Like the Barrytown track it is an old miners route to the old mine sites. The start of the track is a bit hard to found at Brunner. Look a bit up river from Brunner. Would be a great winter hiking trip to the tops and camp out.
As a guessimate the track is sort of like this
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=-42.424185,171.330585&spn=0.008632,0.019248&t=h&z=16&msid=103417279481579023255.00048a9065003464bad7f

Might be too steep and maybe overgrown but the local scouts did some track work but I think they just fix the other side that comes out at the Spring Creek mine access.

Hey Kevin, do you know what is happening with the Southern Paparoa track (hike and bike) proposal to link the road up to the communications tower to the top of the Croesus?
Sickman
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Brokendown on Tue 6/Jul/10 1:09pm

Spooky,

I just read a section in an old Kennets bible about Coolgardie and I'm planning on heading up there for a look this Saturday if the weather holds and likely even if it doesn't.
Brokendown
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Kevin Hague on Tue 6/Jul/10 1:15pm

Sickman wrote:Kevin is no the mark. I walked up it to Mt Davy 3 years ago (fantastic country up there). Like the Barrytown track it is an old miners route to the old mine sites. The start of the track is a bit hard to found at Brunner. Look a bit up river from Brunner. Would be a great winter hiking trip to the tops and camp out.
As a guessimate the track is sort of like this
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=-42.424185,171.330585&spn=0.008632,0.019248&t=h&z=16&msid=103417279481579023255.00048a9065003464bad7f

Might be too steep and maybe overgrown but the local scouts did some track work but I think they just fix the other side that comes out at the Spring Creek mine access.

Hey Kevin, do you know what is happening with the Southern Paparoa track (hike and bike) proposal to link the road up to the communications tower to the top of the Croesus?

Sorry Sickman, haven't heard. Will try and find out from Tony Coll
Kevin Hague
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Sickman on Tue 6/Jul/10 1:23pm

Like Barrytown only something for when it is dry
Sickman

Postby Brokendown on Tue 6/Jul/10 1:30pm

If its wet I can just push the bike down the steep side after enjoying the climb be good for a look and I can think of worse ways to spend a Saturday. Cheers for the heads up though.
Brokendown
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Sickman on Tue 6/Jul/10 4:44pm

Going up to communications tower road I take it. From memory the track starts about 1.5km down from the tower. I think there was a old gate or cattlestop near it. I think there is old CUTC trip report about the track on the web which may have details
Sickman

Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | West Coast - Latest Posts