Re: National Cycleway - Christchurch To Dunedin Touring Route

Postby Hilary on Thu 30/Apr/09 1:37pm

You can take the Taieri Gorge train from Dunedin to the start if you don't wanna ride. I rode the OTR ages ago, not long after it opened and the surface was awful - deep piles of railway-grade gravel. Presumably its improved now though. I think the Geax Evoluton tyres would be fine ;) , or any other semi-slick (ie slick in the middle, but with side-knobs).
Hilary
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby Tama on Thu 30/Apr/09 3:41pm

tylersdad wrote:sorry, don't want to hijack the thread, but it is relevant,

can you ride the OTR on slicks? just thinking if i came down i could ride from Dunedin and wouldn't need to change the tyres.

or, what would be the best tyres to ride the OTR and the road from Dunners airport to the start ?

and has anyone done this?

If I was going to do it I'd use my normal commuter tyres which are 700x37c Continental Travel Contacts: http://www.conti-online.com/generator/w ... ct_en.html - which are primarily touring tyres. I reckon they'd be OK (but would deliver speed over comfort) - however if you tried to do the OTR on racing slicks it would be misery.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby BianchiBoy on Thu 30/Apr/09 4:37pm

A couple of friends of mine rode the OTR on roadbikes. Heaps of punctures, drove 'em nuts. I rode it on a tandem with knobblies (the tandem that is, not the wife) a short time before they did and no punctures. So yeah, you can ride OTR on a road bike no problem with gearing, traction etc, just heaps of punctures.
BianchiBoy
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby johnb on Tue 5/May/09 9:13pm

I saw a guy biking through Timaru yesterday, road/touring bike with slicks and paniers front and back. This is what I would have thought was pretty much your typical foreign cycle tourist???
johnb
"Cannondale Synapse 2009, the real deal"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Tama on Wed 6/May/09 9:05am

johnb wrote:I saw a guy biking through Timaru yesterday, road/touring bike with slicks and paniers front and back. This is what I would have thought was pretty much your typical foreign cycle tourist???

Cycle tourists generally run either touring bikes or mountain bikes - pure road bikes are far too fragile to be loaded down with panniers and such. I guess there's vehicle supported tours out there which would allow the use of pure road bikes but they must be a minority.

Both touring bikes and mountain bikes will have no trouble with gravel paths.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby johnb on Tue 12/May/09 9:16am

It has been very interesting the response to Peter Seeds "Great Southern Cycle Route" Have sent copies to various Polititions and received pretty predictable answers but locally the response has been tremendous and hopefully we will see them on sale at our local I Sites soon. Also the number of downloads from Vorb and our website has been very encouaging. Thanks for your enthusiasm and help Tama, the National Cycleway will happen because of real people like Peter not Polititions and Bureaucrats

John
johnb

Postby johnb on Thu 14/May/09 2:28pm

Look at this headline
John Keys as good as his word good on him
http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-storie ... oject-50m/
$50 Million on our way
johnb

Postby RJM on Mon 18/May/09 7:47am

johnb wrote:
tylersdad wrote:Or if my plans too hard, what Angry said........

the question is: what do most cycle tourists ride - a 26" mtb, or a roadie with skinny 700*23 ?
and then, who is more likely to ride - locals or tourists?
and then hence, the route surface should be the one to accomodate the most regular user.

Relating Peter Seeds experience in both US and Europe it is not so much the bike they ride but the surface they ride on and in both cases it is sealed. If they use a 26" it will probably have slicks. What I have seen is pretty much the same, a hybrid bike seems to be very popular. Therefore the "spine" of the National Cycleway should be on sealed roads
I can see one day the Rail Trail could be sealed as it would open it up to more riders. At the moment if you had a roady you have to take the sealed road that cris crosses the trail. Same scenery, same pubs etc.

The National Cycleway should pass through the major population centres to encourage locals and provide infrastructure for tourists ie lots of coffee stops. Until it happens we will never know, we just have to make it happen.

John

Well said - you little beauty !! :)
RJM
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby duzall on Sun 5/Jul/09 9:54am

noel_whiteside wrote:We did the first couple of Maps over summer then came back via Ashburton. Had a great time. I had to take the mountain bike with slicks on as my roadie doesn't have any eyelets for my panier rack. The wife took her rode bike so I ended up carrying all our gear for both of us. With the xtra weight I was glad I was on the mountain bike. Having a triple chainring was a good thing climbing out of Rakia Gorge. If I could afford another bike I think I'd go for a cyclocross bike with compact chainrings and put the rack on it. Does anyone use a tailer? Are they any good for touring?

Hi Noel, I've got a Bob Trailer, I've done a short tour with it (5days), it takes a little whilr getiing used to, I haven't used panniers, I'm a relatively big bloke (100kgs) and don't want to break spokes. I am using a Tri-Cross and plan on heading South from mid September for 3 months of mid-life crisis prevention!
duzall
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycle Touring | Cycling | Dunedin | Lower South Island | Middle South Island | National Cycleway | New Zealand | News | Otago | Regions | Road Cycling - Latest Posts