Mtb Wheel Build - Light-bicycle Carbon - With Pics

Postby mfw on Sat 4/Oct/14 10:24pm

Looking at getting a lite-bicycle carbon wheelset, 26 inch All Mountain type use, thinking maybe:
Front: 28 spoke
Rear: 32 spoke
but got no clue really, only thinking 24 sounds a low (even though had no problems with my current 24 spoke Red Metal 5's) and Sheldon seems to make sense:
Sheldon Brown wrote:If you have the same number of spokes front and rear, either the front wheel is heavier than it needs to be, or the rear wheel is weaker than it should be.

Here is the spec I am looking at:
lite-bicycle wrote:Rim: RM26C05, 38mm wide hookless, 420g, UD finish, matte
Hub: Novatec D811/D812, standard qr
Spokes: black pillar psr x-tra 1420 aero
Nipples: pillar brass black/silver

Secondly, what would be the pick between the D711/712 and D811/812 hubs? Only know the former is lighter.

Tks
Last edited by mfw on Mon 24/Nov/14 6:34pm, edited 2 times in total.
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Re: Mtb Wheel Build - 24, 28 Or 32 Spokes?

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 5/Oct/14 8:25am

I would be tempted by 32 front and rear as MTB riding can still be quite hard on front wheels

Hubs;

771 is QR only, where 881 is adaptable between qr/15/20mm

I would buy the heavier 881 because of its adaptability
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 5/Oct/14 9:03am

the whole lighter front applies to road bike really well but with mtb's the front wheel can see just as high a torsional and lateral loading as a rear.

32 front and rear dude, get the best hubs you can afford and get them checked out for tension once they're landed.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby mfw on Mon 6/Oct/14 5:49am

Thanks guys, 32 front and rear it is.

Opinion seems very mixed on Novatec hubs though. They are a big outfit and supply the likes of Specialized and Felt, there are some fans, and some have reported them more reliable than the likes of Hope.
But others have questioned their quality.
Hmm...

BTW my reason for the upgrade is because I want much wider rims (not particularly high end wheels) but ironically these carbon ones are half the price of any aluminium ones in that width (e.g. Syntace, American Classic).
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 6/Oct/14 8:59am

it's the freehub bodies on the novatecs that are known to fail. How much are you banking on the wheelset costing? you may be able to get a handbuilt wheelset with hope hubs and a decent alloy rim for a similar price.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby wachtourak on Mon 6/Oct/14 9:05am

But teh crabonz :butbut:
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby mfw on Mon 6/Oct/14 9:12am

shmoodiver wrote:How much are you banking on the wheelset costing? you may be able to get a handbuilt wheelset with hope hubs and a decent alloy rim for a similar price.

It's US$600 for a pair, so approx NZ$770.
While I wasn't looking for carbon rims the strength/weight ratio is obviously appealing, but yeah I'll take every option on it's merits. I am hitting my $$$ ceiling though :rolleyes:

I've been keeping an eye out for ages but couldn't justify new wheelset for a just a few mm wider, then the new 38's (32mm inner) really caught my eye.
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 6/Oct/14 9:17am

mfw wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:How much are you banking on the wheelset costing? you may be able to get a handbuilt wheelset with hope hubs and a decent alloy rim for a similar price.

It's US$600 for a pair, so approx NZ$770.
While I wasn't looking for carbon rims the strength/weight ratio is obviously appealing, but yeah I'll take every option on it's merits. I am hitting my $$$ ceiling though :rolleyes:

I've been keeping an eye out for ages but couldn't justify new wheelset for a just a few mm wider, then the new 38's (32mm inner) really caught my eye.

plus GST, plus customs ;)
shmoodiver

Postby mfw on Mon 6/Oct/14 10:07am

Oh pooz, didn't think about that :(
Am in UK at the moment, wonder if it would be better to ship them here then hand carry them...
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 6/Oct/14 10:18am

was that including shipping too?
shmoodiver

Postby mfw on Mon 6/Oct/14 10:21am

nope.
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby mark2c on Mon 6/Oct/14 11:13am

My thoughts would be to go for the Hope hub option with 40 POE & have them checked in NZ.
mark2c
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby mfw on Wed 8/Oct/14 3:23am

shmoodiver wrote:was that including shipping too?

Ok it's nz$900 landed (they register value at $220 to go under the customs threshold). Hmm, more than my budget but iv fell in love with the idea of having them now :love:
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby tahic on Fri 10/Oct/14 6:34pm

Do you mind sharing where you are getting these LB wheels from?
tahic
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby wachtourak on Fri 10/Oct/14 7:50pm

light-bicycle.com ?
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Rims | Sifting | Wheels - Latest Posts