Re: Mtb Wheel Build - Light-bicycle Carbon - With Pics

Postby beater32 on Sun 18/Jan/15 6:03pm

How are these going out of curiosity ?
beater32
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby mfw on Sat 24/Jan/15 2:52pm

beater32 wrote:How are these going out of curiosity ?

I love riding on them and would be reluctant go back to anything skinnier :D

If I try and be objective I guess my criteria for MTB wheels is:

1. Affordable
2. Suitable width to match the tyres I want to run (nominally 2.4 or ETRO 58mm)
3. Strong / stiff, i.e. not flexi and will handle bad landings
4. Weight (light)
5. Durable

If I measure my Light Bicycle wheels against these:

1. They came at a fraction of the price of other carbon offerings, and cheaper than any branded aluminium options too. There are other Chinese companies doing them now, slightly cheaper, but I didn't like some of the rim designs and LB has a good track record. Given a bigger budget I would look at Ibis 741's (35mm).

2. At 32mm they are in the right ball park, at 55% of the tyre width (these 'super wides' suddenly don't sound so wide now do they!), compared to the 'standard' 19mm rim coming in at 32% of the tyre width which creates a dreadful shape. Even if I was rich I would not consider Enve / Stans etc until they offered 30mm plus.
Hopefully some lighter tyre options should come out with more wider wheels around, as the better supported sidewalls require less tyre stiffness.

3. These carbon 'DH' rims feel very stiff to me, could have no doubt gone for a lighter build, but...

4. ... they are still significantly lighter than my skinny old aluminium rims. As an aside, while I was getting desperate for some wide rims I ruled out finding some of the old skool super wide Aluminium rims available 10-20 years ago based on weight.

5. All good after 6 weeks of regular use, but it's too early to say really, the budget Novatec hubs might need attention after a season or two but that was the only way I could afford them.

Other notes:
The rim profile has a small lip making a very secure tyre fit at low pressures, and blew on with a floor pump, but I'm not looking forward to inserting a tube in the field if the sealant doesn't do the trick (I used a vice to break the seal in the garage).

The deep profile require 48mm valves as a minimum (and don't forget the same for the spare tube).
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby windsail1000 on Fri 9/Oct/15 3:54pm

so amazing!!! the best way to relax is cycling!!I am thirst for making friends who crazy about cycling!!!!!!
windsail1000
Member for: 2 years 0 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 9/Oct/15 5:18pm

windsail1000 wrote:so amazing!!! the best way to relax is cycling!!I am thirst for making friends who crazy about cycling!!!!!!

Amazing! I thirst for more of your crazy spam juices!
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 9/Oct/15 6:13pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
windsail1000 wrote:so amazing!!! the best way to relax is cycling!!I am thirst for making friends who crazy about cycling!!!!!!

Amazing! I thirst for more of your crazy spam juices!

you're assuming much. maybe he/she is just a very enthusiastic person who's first language isnt English.... :D
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby mfw on Fri 9/Oct/15 8:31pm

Might as well get back on topic and do a 1 year update: rims and hubs are still running sweet :thumbsup:
Which is more than can be said for my head :(
Had no issues with tyre changing (originally thought the tyre / bead seat was a bit tight). Currently running Minion DHF front and Hans Dampf rear, 18/19psi front/back. Love the traction. Haven't done enough big jumps etc to test rim strength, seem to prefer landing on my head :blush:
Last edited by mfw on Fri 30/Oct/15 6:16am, edited 1 time in total.
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 29/Oct/15 7:12pm

fuck off darren mate
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby znomit on Thu 29/Oct/15 7:15pm

Darren-1 wrote:I just feel that a adventure sport ,such as ridingcarbon road bike wheels , to provide happy will result in a much more valuable experience for people.

Providing happy can prove moist valuable experience indeed.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 29/Oct/15 7:15pm

Wobbler wrote:fuck off darren mate

DAZZZZAAAAA, MAAAATE!!!
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Rims | Sifting | Wheels - Latest Posts