Re: Mtb Wheel Build - 24, 28 Or 32 Spokes?

Postby mfw on Fri 10/Oct/14 8:18pm

Yes lite-bicycle make them up

Rims http://www.light-bicycle.com/enduro-dow ... DeG7fldV8E
Hubs (a bit hidden on the website) http://www.light-bicycle.com/the-more-d ... DeHM_ldV8E

Ask Nancy and she'll put together any combo of rims/hubs, or they'll build them with any hubs you provide them with.

I pushed the button on them but then paypal locked me out because I'm overseas at the moment and thought I was fraudster, grrr :(
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Re: Mtb Wheel Build - 24, 28 Or 32 Spokes?

Postby danose on Sat 11/Oct/14 3:44am

mfw wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:was that including shipping too?

Ok it's nz$900 landed (they register value at $220 to go under the customs threshold). Hmm, more than my budget but iv fell in love with the idea of having them now :love:

trouble with them putting such a low value on is there is a risk customs will realise the price is fraudulent and seize them
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Re: Mtb Wheel Build - Light-bicycle Carbon

Postby Colin on Sat 11/Oct/14 4:04pm

I went close to buying a pair of their rims earlier this year.

A bunch of people I spoke with had experience with them or knew people who had them and rated them OK. Apparently some where not particularly uniform in thickness, but at least one had been replaced immediately when it was rejected on receipt.

I read many pages of a couple threads on MTBR. Lots of people raving about them and how light they were and strong they felt. A few people had sustained impact damage, and when this happened it was often a long drawn out process to get light-bikes to care. Eventually came to the conclusion the people who were most happy seemed to ride the internet harder than their bikes.

At the time they were moving to the hookless design which helped easy my concerns on impact damage. But I could only find conflicting information on whether or wen the 26 inch moulds would be converted, and more importantly when I could expect the rims as I had trips booked to Queenstown that I wanted the wheels for.

An email conversation failed to clarify if the 26 inch moulds had yet been converted and what timeframe I could expect rims to be received in NZ. But they had managed to include a clear invitation for me to provide my credit card details in every email the sent.

I now am very happy rocking ENVES. No regrets.

Without the time constraints I may well of not bought the ENVES, even at the good but still spendy price I got them for. It's probably 2:1 that I would have got the hookless light-bike rims. But I would still have that nagging doubt every time I steams something rocky / rooty with pace.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby kavika on Sat 11/Oct/14 7:13pm

I think Kashi, and the team at Bike Otago were trialling some Chinese rims, and frames down that way. Not sure how far they got, as to giving an opinion on them
kavika
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby mfw on Mon 13/Oct/14 2:22am

Thanks for the above info, Colin, looks like you've done all the research.
I was more prepared to take the mechanical risk than the import duty one, since I'm not a fast downhiller.
But after all what's been said, I'm going a bit cold on the LB thing, I might reassess my options when I'm back in NZ.

One option is doing a aluminium rim only upgrade, but they're 24 spoke hubs front and back so not ideal.
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby cruiser on Mon 13/Oct/14 6:56am

Never heard anyone say customs have been an issue with LB

I bought hookless bead wider rim from LB, hopes from CRC and had a good build done on them by Oli. They are steamed on a hardtail and also done some Enduro races on a fully. Sweet as rim, no burps, easy to tubeless, no deforms or anything.

Personally, I see them as carbon rims without the added marketing/brand tax.

They aren't as true as an enve, but are a very good wheel for the dollar.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby mfw on Tue 11/Nov/14 7:34am

They Arrived yesterday, no customs issues : phew:
Quick spin indicates all spokes to tension and true as :)
Pics to follow.

Just need to find some tubeless rim tape, the Scotch 8898 tape is not available in Nz unfortunately, so looking for alternatives (don't want to wait for Amazon US), also would like to find some in right width to make life easier, about 35mm I guess for 32mm inner width, given rim channel shape.
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby wachtourak on Tue 11/Nov/14 7:43am

Just get some duct tape in the appropriate width lol, that's what the Enve stuff seems to be, and it works good
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby mfw on Mon 17/Nov/14 5:42pm

Got them checked out by LBS today, they were impressed with build quality, and stiffness.

Shop scales showed:
Front = 740g, Rear = 880g, Total = 1620g

It was like flies around honey LOL. They've got Enve's in stock, so mine were hardly exotic, but their width and affordability were stirring up interest.

Itching to get out on them but my BB is stuffed so I have to get that fixed first :hmmm:
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby integral on Wed 19/Nov/14 5:50pm

What width did you go for?
integral
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby mfw on Wed 19/Nov/14 11:15pm

38mm outer / 32mm inner width.
Got all my tape, extra long valves, white jizz etc all sorted out so might set them up tomorrow :D
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby mfw on Mon 24/Nov/14 5:55pm

Thought I better get some pics up :D
Tyres are Minion 2.5 front and Ardent 2.4 rear, both before and after

LB bike_.jpg

LB front.JPG

LB rear.JPG

2 FC.JPG
Original 19mm front rim

2 LB.JPG
New 32mm front rim, can't see much difference from this angle

5 FC.JPG
Original 19mm front rim

5 LB.JPG
New 32mm front rim, notice it from here though!

rim 1.JPG
Old and new

Ride report to follow...
mfw
User avatarMedal

Re: Mtb Wheel Build - Light-bicycle Carbon - With Pics

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 24/Nov/14 7:31pm

Dish looks out on the front.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby mfw on Tue 25/Nov/14 8:02am

shmoodiver wrote:Dish looks out on the front.

Nah that's the funny camera angle, I've measured them pretty close to centre. But that reminds me I've got a proper dishing tool somewhere I should dig out to confirm...
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby mfw on Sat 29/Nov/14 4:58pm

Ride report: just getting used to the feel of them, and big chunks of time of my Strava times without really trying - feels like its cheating :D :D :D

Wide rims FTW :love:
mfw
User avatarMedal

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Rims | Sifting | Wheels - Latest Posts