Nz Mtb Team Update From Canberra, Monday

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Mon 7/Sep/09 7:30am

Its true, gold medals make all the hard work and committment worth it. Brook MacDonald nailed it yesterday and is our newest junior downhill world champion, following in the footsteps of Scarlett Hagen and Cam Cole. A humble sort of guy. I'm looking at Brook's rainbow jersey and medal on the table in front of me while I'm typing this - he didn't want to lose them while out celebrating last night. The team had its own celebration last night at an Italian restaurant in Woden. 88 kiwis came along and toasted sucess to Brook. This was a great way to wrap the campaign up, and everybody goes their separate ways today. There have been as many hard luck stories from this trip as success stories, and they'll be told in time, but one that tears is Aari Barrett's last three days. Dislocating and breaking his finger on Friday, Aari gutsed it out to take the start line yesterday, only to front flat at the top of the course and have another huge off with associated major bruising. Really tough, but Aari will bounce back. A detailed wrap will follow in a few days, but right now its all about this young MacDonald kid from the Hawkes Bay!

Chris Mildon, NZ MTB Team Manager
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

ACT | Australia | Canberra | Event Reports | Events | News | Regions - Latest Posts