We're Moving To Nelson!

Postby Tama on Thu 25/Jun/09 8:59am

We're getting close to fulfilling a long term goal of moving to Nelson! At long bloody last :)

Happily this will mean less time in front of the computer for me as after 8 months of fairly solid code monkeying the engine behind Vorb is almost complete* and I can turn my energy to other things - like content, community, the grindy dull bits that keep Vorb running** and of course riding bikes, climbing mountains and paddling kayaks in sunny Nelson.

Those of you who've been around Vorb a long time will know that I sometimes get excited and go on coding binges where new features magically appear at strange hours of the morning or night - but I'm going to try and limit those episodes and spend less time in front of computers. As you can imagine I'm really looking forward to having the Richmond Ranges nearby, Kahurangi National Park just down the road, and the Waimea Estuary to splash about in :love: .

:thumbsup: w00t! :thumbsup:

* Let's be honest here, websites are never "complete" - but the major coding breakthroughs like channels and product feeds are in place. There's still a layout change on the horizon and Mobile Vorb will be reborn but for the time being we're going to keep things to code tweakage rather than major construction projects. Coding binges aside of course :p

** What I've just outlined in this post might sound like a dream job/ lifestyle but you really don't have any reason to be jealous - believe me this factor keeps it all in check :huh:
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Moving To Nelson!

Postby snr_merv on Thu 25/Jun/09 9:05am

Nice one Tama, long term goal for me to move back there too :thumbsup:
snr_merv
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Re: We're Moving To Nelson!

Postby Conners on Thu 25/Jun/09 9:30am

That's awesome news Tama. Nelson definitely seems to be where your home/heart is - good work on achieving your long term goal. :thumbsup:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby musket on Thu 25/Jun/09 9:36am

That's great Tama, I sure you and Heather will have the greatest of times there.
musket
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby psychavoc on Thu 25/Jun/09 9:37am

Yay! We'll have somewhere to stay/people to visit in Nelson :rolleyes:

I've never been :huh:
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby phunk on Thu 25/Jun/09 9:38am

Woot, expect visitors!
phunk
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby sweet_P on Thu 25/Jun/09 9:40am

Awesome Tama - stoked to hear it :) Can't wait to come visit you & Heather!
sweet_P
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby scatter on Thu 25/Jun/09 9:41am

Dirty hippy :p
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Tama on Thu 25/Jun/09 9:43am

psychavoc wrote:I've never been :huh:

Really!?

If you love the outdoors it's Oarsome with a capital "O" :love:

scatter wrote:Dirty hippy :p

No organic apples/ macrame pot holders for you :hmmm:
Tama

Postby skint on Thu 25/Jun/09 9:45am

Fantastic! :thumbsup:
It's seriously good to have both lifestyle and family on your doorstep.
skint
"Mmmm. Cheesy toasted sandwiches."
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 25/Jun/09 9:46am

darn. lucky you. i'd love to have nelson's riding on my doorstep. have contemplated the move many a time, but dont like their 'sunshine tax', and have never quite managed to land a job there anyway.

bummer, never did get out and ride with ya down here. oh well... maybe i'll bump into you on the trails up there sometime when i'm up for a family visit...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Tama on Thu 25/Jun/09 9:50am

swtchbckr wrote:darn. lucky you. i'd love to have nelson's riding on my doorstep. have contemplated the move many a time, but dont like their 'sunshine tax', and have never quite managed to land a job there anyway.

Years ago when I was job hunting in Nelson I used to joke with people that the only way I could get a job in Nelson was by getting a forklift license or learning to open mussels with a knife - and then Sealord laid off the mussel openers :huh:

swtchbckr wrote:bummer, never did get out and ride with ya down here. oh well... maybe i'll bump into you on the trails up there sometime when i'm up for a family visit...

Definitely. The Nelson riding really suits my style and I'm looking forward to linking together some epic rides I've thought about but never had the time to experiment with. What could possibly go wrong!
Tama

Postby hdb on Thu 25/Jun/09 9:59am

Welcome to the Bays.. It is kinda hard to get bored around here.. We have only been here for 10 months and are very glad we ended up in this part of NZ. :love:
hdb
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Oli on Thu 25/Jun/09 10:23am

Great stuff, T! Well done. :)
Oli
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby phunk on Thu 25/Jun/09 10:26am

Tama wrote:What could possibly go wrong!

Just dont do it during the middle of winter and at night. Not that me and Tom havnt been talking about that sort of thing :huh:
phunk
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Cycling | Kayaking | Mountain Biking | Nelson | Nelson Region | New Zealand | Paddling | Regions | Sea Kayaking | Sifting | Tama's Random Ramblings | Tramping | Upper South Island | Vogs | Vorb - Latest Posts