Re: Mountain Biking Zanes Blog

Postby Conners on Wed 5/May/10 10:11pm

That second photo is the coolest riding shot I've seen in a long time - looks like an awesome ride :thumbsup:
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby inzane on Thu 6/May/10 9:05am

Thanks Conners. The light + forest + mist was fantastic. :thumbsup:

Definitley good fun riding too
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby inzane on Thu 27/May/10 11:12am

Was riding on the Wet Coast last weekend. Was surprisingly dry :thumbsup: Blackball up and over the Croesus Track/Paparoas to Barrytown.

http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com ... -bazvegas/
Croesus 049.JPG
inzane

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 27/May/10 1:02pm

nice tale, especially considering the wetting we've had here in the flatlands...

so. question. any hardtails on that trip? :)
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby inzane on Thu 27/May/10 1:27pm

2 hardtails of the 11 bikers. Happened to be ridden by 2 of the faster guys... of the group of 3 who took off the front on the downhill, I was the only softy on a full suss!

Both hardtails were running Lyriks + super tacky, 2 ply DH tyres on big rims and DH style brakes... not quite the normal hardtail...
Last edited by inzane on Thu 27/May/10 1:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
inzane

Postby phunk on Thu 27/May/10 1:31pm

mmmm...croesus...drool
phunk
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Colin on Thu 27/May/10 1:42pm

Be nice ride to do - might need more skill first
Colin
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 27/May/10 2:01pm

inzane wrote:2 hardtails of the 11 bikers. Happened to be ridden by 2 of the faster guys... of the group of 3 who took off the front on the downhill, I was the only softy on a full suss!

Both hardtails were running Lyriks + super tacky, 2 ply DH tyres on big rims and DH style brakes... not quite the normal hardtail...

heh... once again, demonstrating the fact that hardtail riders are harder!!! :p :lol:

whaddaya mean, not quite the normal hardtail? sounds like the best kind of hardtail. :D
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby slimdog on Thu 27/May/10 6:20pm

^^^What swtchbckr said is true!!!

Sounds like my ht.
slimdog
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby AdamMTB on Thu 27/May/10 6:30pm

Nice blog entry inzane, heard a few different tales of the Barrytown side of the Croesus but yours was the most clear and concise. Just makes me want to go back up and go right up and over now :)
AdamMTB
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby inzane on Thu 27/May/10 7:34pm

Thanks Adam, weather looks like it has been nice there most of the week... conditions are probably good right about now :D

Swtchbckr, I was just differentiating what a true hardtail is, so that the XC boys on their race weapons did not get confused. :p
inzane

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 28/May/10 9:43am

its interesting you should point out that the top three group had the only two hardtails in it. cos thats what we find with our riding group too.

my view on it, is that soft tails make people get a bit lazy, which in turn takes away some of their fitness, which results in them not necessarily being as aggressive as they might have once been. i mean, on a hardtail, you're always popping and weaving, up off the seat, back down, back up, gracefully hopping the front then back wheel onto or over stuff, whereas on the softtails people just sit their in their armchairs and the suspension soaks everything (-but the bigstuff) up. sit in an armchair for long enough and the popping and hopping muscles lose their tone, resulting in overall less fitness.

...just sayin'.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby danose on Fri 28/May/10 10:12am

swtchbckr wrote:my view on it, is that soft tails make people get a bit lazy, which in turn takes away some of their fitness, which results in them not necessarily being as aggressive as they might have once been.

whilst it's a nice theory anyone who believe that pile of bullshit needs to go out for a ride with XCguy (who's got even harder to keep up with since he went fully - and that's both up and down stuff)

i mean, on a hardtail, you're always popping and weaving, up off the seat, back down, back up, gracefully hopping the front then back wheel onto or over stuff, whereas on the softtails people just sit their in their armchairs and the suspension soaks everything (-but the bigstuff) up.

jeez, that's the kind of rhetoric and bullshit I expect ME to come up with :D
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby slimdog on Fri 28/May/10 10:46am

I would agree with you guys about the particular muscles tone one would lose but soft tails are typical heavier which would cause different muscles to be toned and honed. I wouldn't say that ht riders are more fit than soft tail riders though. Not that I care about muscle tone I think riding a ht just takes more skill. Which you tend to lose when you ride a soft tail for a number of years.
slimdog
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby inzane on Fri 28/May/10 11:03am

swtchbckr wrote:its interesting you should point out that the top three group had the only two hardtails in it. cos thats what we find with our riding group too.

my view on it, is that soft tails make people get a bit lazy, which in turn takes away some of their fitness, which results in them not necessarily being as aggressive as they might have once been. i mean, on a hardtail, you're always popping and weaving, up off the seat, back down, back up, gracefully hopping the front then back wheel onto or over stuff, whereas on the softtails people just sit their in their armchairs and the suspension soaks everything (-but the bigstuff) up. sit in an armchair for long enough and the popping and hopping muscles lose their tone, resulting in overall less fitness.

...just sayin'.

Yeh whatever. Going by your logic we should all be riding rigid singlespeeds with cantilever brakes because this will make us stronger and better riders! :blink:

The whole group was pretty much together most of the way up the hill, and while there was one hardtail out the front for much of the climb, the other was near the back. The 3 of us who were off the front on the downhill, would have been off the front regardless of whether we were on full suss or hardtail...

I spent about 5 years mountain bike guiding around the world on a hardtail, and often had clients amazed that a hardtail was able to handle all the terrain as well as their $10, 000 full suss bikes (it is not about the bike). I really like the 5 Spot that I ride these days, but i do think that I probably ride smoother than many people simply from spending so many years riding hardtail bikes.

If you are talking about trail center riding or Port Hills riding, then I agree that a full suss on trails like those can mean you are able to get away with doing less bodywork, and so dont get as fit as someone on a hardtail. Many people who only get out once every week or two will struggle with their fitness anyway, and so riding a full suss bike will make the experience more enjoyable for them. Are you saying that they should all just harden up and beat themselves up on a hardtail every time they go out for a ride?

I find it is often the very dedicated riders who are riding at least a couple of times a week and who already have good skills and fitness that end up riding hardtails, and I think this is usually so they get some challenge out of riding the local trails... These people are always going to be at the front of the groups whatever sort of bike they are on.
inzane

Cycling | Mountain Biking Zane | Vogs - Latest Posts