Re: 2 Mountain Biking Opportunities In Abel Tasman Park

Postby Aughra on Sat 4/Apr/09 9:18am

I reckon Whirinaki is a classic case in point for a completely bollocks approach to MTBers.

There are amazing single track opportunities south from Whirinaki through to SH2 via the Whirinaki River, there are unbelievable rides heading north well from further along near Maungapohatu through to the Waimana river valley and there are a plethora of wicked MTB suitable tracks originally developed for motorbikes in the forest to the west of the Whirinaki......

Yet they created a path in a little circle (a pleasant one admittedly)
Aughra
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby slowMTB on Sat 4/Apr/09 5:54pm

Heaphy - excuse my ignorance, but what is the current status of this ?
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby YANKEEHOTELFOXTROT on Sat 4/Apr/09 7:07pm

Sorry, but can someone please tell me what the Gibbs Hill Track is exactly? Does DOC mean the unsealed road from Wainui to Totaranui?
Furthermore, what is the loop you speak of with the Rameka and Wainui tracks? Is it accessed from Bird Clearing or from Wainui? I've ridden/walked the track from Bird Clearing to the Rameka Track but distinctly remember being told it was a no-no for us. Would be cool to have permission to ride what appears to be a rather seldom used part of the park.
YANKEEHOTELFOXTROT
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby Simonk on Sat 4/Apr/09 10:09pm

Gibbs Hill is an old 4WD track (check it out in the 7th ed of Classic NZ MTB Rides).

The loop at the top of the Rameka is also covered in the 7th edition. It's heads about 1km towards Birds clearing, but then turns back towards Harwards Hole.

WRT Whirinaki - I agree that shared use would make more sense, but given that that isn't an option (seems that it would require too radical a paradigm shift for the 'establishment' that far north) the development of MTB-specific tracks is good for us.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Nelson Region | New Zealand | News | Regions | Trail Riding | Upper South Island - Latest Posts