Re: Mountain Bikes On Nz Ski Fields - What Went Wrong

Postby fatwombat on Wed 23/Sep/09 1:32am

CrustyMTB wrote:
Colin wrote:
Tama wrote:Personally I reckon mountain bikes on Whakapapa/ Turoa over summer would be a winner - but only if lessons were learnt from down south.

My guess is that wont happen :(

National Park and all.
and the terrain is big sharp volcanic boulder fields, which is why Ruapehu needs 1.5 m base at least to be even marginally skiable, unlike most of the southern field which are on tussock basin and scree. I've spent a lot of time up Ruapehu in the summer and I can't picture anything approaching suitable because of the nature of the terrain. Even Ohau which is probably the rockiest southern field is a garden compared with Whakapapa or Turoa.

There is a National Park Traverse walking track that people use all the time, there have been attempts to get that opened to mtb access but as far as I am aware they just splatted against a brick wall of bureaucratic self-interest - as you say about other places, old destruction of the environment is fine, any new innovation is anathema, especially if the established elite won't be the ones to profit from it. The 42 Traverse would be an awsome ride if the 4WDs and mx bikes weren't ripping it shreds all year round. There are some great rides around Turangi that could be awesome with a bit of publicity and some work improving the link sections between the cool bits - you can do a big off-seal loop all the way from Turangi to Tree Trunk Gorge and back through the forest tracks, down the side of the hydro scheme pipes, plus using a few bits of official bike track.
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby olivevtt on Wed 23/Sep/09 2:19am

Hello all
I m Olivier, French ,30 and I plane to come next year in your fabulous country. (excuse my bad english, I m working on it)
I make a lot of downhill bike, so I found vorb as I was looking for the way you use to downhill...
And I found (correct me if I m wrong) that you guys generally shuttle yourself or use shuttling services (southstar)
I also found Coronet Peak, but I heard by Clement Jente ( a french biker who went 3 month do the national series) that it was far, expensive and not enough tracks...

So, I live in Nice, and between Nice and Les Gets (app same as between CHC and Queenstown) There are about fifteen ski Fields which offer mountainbiking on summer. These ski fields don't offer the same things:
in big ones, you will find a big domain like Les Gets , maybe 20 chair lift , tons of different tracks,
in little ones, you'll find 1 chairlift, very slow, but 10 or 15 tracks for ALL levels.

This summer I went in many of these ski fields and tha thing that shocked me was the number of walker, and family groups who use the chairlift. I think that the little ski fields must propose this service and promote it, it's essential.
Also the "little" fields doesn't make money on the summer part, but the competition betwwen the different ski fields forces them to follow.

The other part of the succes of ski fields here is that french people is not able to cooperate to organize shuttles! when I succeed to gather 4 riders and a truck on a montainbiking place, I'm very proud because it's very difficult!! It seems very easy for you guys!!!

This is just a vew point from a frenchie who worries for the next year !!

By the way I bought LK2 and DROP IN NZ and I really can't wait to go there!!!

PS: feel free to correct me, it would help me!!!
olivevtt
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby MissChaff on Wed 23/Sep/09 11:37am

You are going to love it here!!!
MissChaff
"Delete cookies?"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby DWNHiLGHOST on Wed 23/Sep/09 4:18pm

olivevtt wrote:So, I live in Nice, and between Nice and Les Gets (app same as between CHC and Queenstown) There are about fifteen ski Fields which offer mountainbiking on summer. These ski fields don't offer the same things:
in big ones, you will find a big domain like Les Gets , maybe 20 chair lift , tons of different tracks,
in little ones, you'll find 1 chairlift, very slow, but 10 or 15 tracks for ALL levels.

Well stuff this, I want to go to France! :)

Can I point out a little place called Naseby, down here in the south. I went there once, a couple of years back and I absolutely loved it. The end of the first day I couldn't even lift my bike.
Everything around there is so easy to get to and there are miles of, sometimes unfortunately short, wee tracks. Everything to cater for the beginner to advanced.
Although it would be a lot better with some longer, steeper and more technical tracks, we should be looking at replicating this small mountain biking meca.
I would like to say that they should build something like round Dunedin here, but I know that sounds a little selfish. Maybe dotting a few around the country is a better idea.
The general idea is to create a network of tracks that appeal to all abilities and that is local.
I can not see that being a problem really. There are so many people out there that are very passionate about this sort of thing and can make it happen.
DWNHiLGHOST
"Dearest me I've forgotten my tulips."
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby MissChaff on Wed 23/Sep/09 4:23pm

"they" should indeed....:)
MissChaff
"Delete cookies?"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby flow_jo on Thu 5/Nov/09 12:53pm

Hey,
I am going to nz in december, staying two months. I read the first page of this thread, it is not clear for me if there are any lift accesible trails in nz. If there are, could you post some links?
Thanks
flow_jo
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby XCrazy on Thu 5/Nov/09 12:59pm

flow_jo wrote:Hey,
I am going to nz in december, staying two months. I read the first page of this thread, it is not clear for me if there are any lift accesible trails in nz. If there are, could you post some links?
Thanks

As it stands there is currently no lift accessed tracks in NZ or though there may be again in the future. Currently there are commercial shuttling operations in Christchurch, Wellington and Rotorua I believe. See http://www.southstaradventures.com/
XCrazy
"WWJD...... What Would Jens Do?"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 11/Nov/09 4:57pm

the Gondola in Chch will be taking bikes very very soon (i noticed their trail down from the top to the Summit Rd on Sunday), meaning, Chch will be the only Lift Accessible rides in nz! mad.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby j2hyde on Wed 11/Nov/09 5:41pm

Huh? More info please...
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby pedalingkiwi on Wed 11/Nov/09 6:05pm

yes there has been a mtbike track cut from the top station down to the summit road (through the reserve) - it is designed to be relatively low gradient & suitable for family groups. I believe they intend to Teddington chip the surface - at the mo it's just benched & bermed.

What is not yet in place is how to then get down from summit road to gondola bottom station - as I understand it the gondola company envisages people / tourists will hire bikes at the bottom, and return them there. The gondola company are endeavouring to get permission to run a track down through John Britten Reserve (the land on west side at top of Mt Pleasant Road) - this would need to drop down into upper Heathcote Valley where there is a farm track that heads back around to gondola bottom.

Of course when the gondola does open for bikes those of us with lazy legs & a penchant for singletrack can get uplift then go cruise the port hills trails to the east or west. Biggest unknown is the cost - yet to be announced. I'm picking it's going to be way more $$ than southstar.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby j2hyde on Wed 11/Nov/09 6:40pm

Well, even if it just a short simple tourist track and no competition for Southstar it's a step in the right direction. If it works out maybe the CCC will agree to open more land for building real MTB tracks down into the Heathcote valley some time in the future.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Cycling | Downhill Racing | Freeriding (MTB) | Lower South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Otago | Queenstown | Regions | Shuttling | Wanaka - Latest Posts