Re: Mountain Bikes On Nz Ski Fields - What Went Wrong

Postby MissChaff on Mon 21/Sep/09 3:20pm

RHR_Rob wrote:But then getting resource consent to be able to get your bike from the gondola station to the sumit rd would take 10 yrs of resource concent..........

John Key to the rescue ;)

I actually heard a rumour that the 443's had scored consent for the snow park/freeride park mtb lift
Last edited by MissChaff on Mon 21/Sep/09 3:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissChaff
"Delete cookies?"
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby OAP on Mon 21/Sep/09 3:25pm

Trail wrote:
danose wrote:
Are there other tracks in that bit of forest? If so it would be great to have them cleared/opened for biking. There is a large hillside of forest in there which looks perfect for biking!

yep - there's other tracks up there, since back when it was Forestry Service land they were really into track building - the dracophyllum 'track' is one of theres (complete with those vintage track blazes).

Hmm anyone got mappage of where the old tracks are supposed to be?

Last time I was at Cheeseman's forest lodge (a wee while ago) they had an old map on their notice board, one trail was called the Toboggan track and another was called the Deer Track. I'm told there is an old 4wd track that runs from somewhere round Dracophyllum right up to near the old hut on the road. They are all overgrown and need the dead fall clearing but if they do go ahead and clear them it would be huge.

I'm sure they wouldn't turn down any offers to help clear them.
OAP
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby Nick_K on Mon 21/Sep/09 3:29pm

I think mtbing on skifields failed because shuttling is lame.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby wachtourak on Mon 21/Sep/09 3:54pm

no u r
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Nick_K on Mon 21/Sep/09 5:30pm

wachtourak wrote:no u r

wateva

Seriously though the idea of travelling vast distances and paying good money to ride the same few tracks doesn't really do much for me. Even decent resorts like Let Get and Morzine (both which I rode last year) can't compare to a good backcountry epic IMHO.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby CrustyMTB on Mon 21/Sep/09 8:37pm

Colin wrote:
Tama wrote:Personally I reckon mountain bikes on Whakapapa/ Turoa over summer would be a winner - but only if lessons were learnt from down south.

My guess is that wont happen :(

National Park and all.
and the terrain is big sharp volcanic boulder fields, which is why Ruapehu needs 1.5 m base at least to be even marginally skiable, unlike most of the southern field which are on tussock basin and scree. I've spent a lot of time up Ruapehu in the summer and I can't picture anything approaching suitable because of the nature of the terrain. Even Ohau which is probably the rockiest southern field is a garden compared with Whakapapa or Turoa.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Kazmeistyr on Mon 21/Sep/09 8:56pm

Nick_K wrote:

wateva

Seriously though the idea of travelling vast distances and paying good money to ride the same few tracks doesn't really do much for me. Even decent resorts like Let Get and Morzine (both which I rode last year) can't compare to a good backcountry epic IMHO.

Your sick. Give yourself a Dragon Punch to the snoz.
Kazmeistyr
"has the power of Greyskull"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Gorse on Mon 21/Sep/09 10:49pm

MissChaff wrote:
RHR_Rob wrote:But then getting resource consent to be able to get your bike from the gondola station to the sumit rd would take 10 yrs of resource concent..........

John Key to the rescue ;)

I actually heard a rumour that the 443's had scored consent for the snow park/freeride park mtb lift

Don't hold your breath - the Lee's are broke and Snow Park is up for sale...
Gorse
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby dented on Mon 21/Sep/09 11:06pm

CrustyMTB wrote:
Colin wrote:
Tama wrote:Personally I reckon mountain bikes on Whakapapa/ Turoa over summer would be a winner - but only if lessons were learnt from down south.

My guess is that wont happen :(

National Park and all.
and the terrain is big sharp volcanic boulder fields, which is why Ruapehu needs 1.5 m base at least to be even marginally skiable, unlike most of the southern field which are on tussock basin and scree. I've spent a lot of time up Ruapehu in the summer and I can't picture anything approaching suitable because of the nature of the terrain. Even Ohau which is probably the rockiest southern field is a garden compared with Whakapapa or Turoa.

Sick rockgarden action but.

Colin is right, add in that its not only a National Park, but a National Park with World Heritage status due to its cultural significance, it aint gonna happen in our lifetime brother.
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby MissChaff on Tue 22/Sep/09 11:35am

Gorse wrote:
Don't hold your breath - the Lee's are broke and Snow Park is up for sale...
Lol probly from fighting their neighbours about the testing grounds (was on telly)

Wow ...the snowpark is up for sale. But there are some trails up there I hope remain .....
MissChaff
"Delete cookies?"
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 22/Sep/09 12:50pm

OAP wrote:...one trail was called the Toboggan track and another was called the Deer Track. I'm told there is an old 4wd track that runs from somewhere round Dracophyllum right up to near the old hut on the road. They are all overgrown and need the dead fall clearing but if they do go ahead and clear them it would be huge.

I'm sure they wouldn't turn down any offers to help clear them.

i've ridden the Toboggan Track. its mean, and MINT. tricky to find at the top, but once you're on it you know you're on it. was taken up and shown it by some Cheeseman regulars. they remembered playing on it with actual toboggans when they were kids (like probably 40 years ago)
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby DD-Rick on Tue 22/Sep/09 4:50pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
Trail wrote:
Anyone got a decent chunk of land and a few million to buy a chair lift??

I can do you better than a chairlift: In chur chur there is a very large very expensive, subsidised with ratepayers and taxpayers money FREAKIN GONDOLA. Its a huuuuge loss making white elephant. what it needs is some bike hooks on that bad boy. sensible pricing, and bobs your uncle. Its 15 minutes from a large-ish urban population that is no doubt bored with nutjob murders and topping hookers and looking for a new challenge, it has options for easy tracks (traverse, some of vic park, or hard and fast (bridle path hrd bits of vic park etc). You dont have the tyranny of distance argument, the above th tree line problem, the weather might crap itself issue (if it does you are five minutes from the car). And who has ever used the bloody thing? I'm a prime example of the target market, and Ive never been there: hugely expensive to have a go, and the restaurant at the top is by all reports heinously expensive and very very average.

Can you really imagine if CCC allowed such a thing to happen that the cost would be appealing enough so people wouldn't use it. I can't. Negative I know, I really wish it would happen, there is no justifiable reason for it not to happen.

apart from

RHR_Rob wrote: Have a friend on the parks and rec dept of Chch council (she is a walker not a biker) there is NO WAY they would ever let some bike tracks be built under the gondala something about spoiling the natural beuty of the hill etc, i did point out that you build a fu**ing gondala up it she was horrified that that got through in the 1st place.
but anyway its probably a bit steep under the gondola for anyone but the hardy DH boys, but the gondola could be a way of getting joe average tourist to the top of the hill so they can gently roll back to town.
But then getting resource consent to be able to get your bike from the gondola station to the sumit rd would take 10 yrs of resource concent..........

See attached images from Google Earth.
A track that 'sort of' followed my drawn line would not be visible from many places other than the summit road, from tunnel road or the gondola station you would see it, but not
much.
Gondola from Google Earth.jpg
This ridge is almost completely hidden from view

Gondola from Google Maps.jpg
DD-Rick
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Nick_K on Tue 22/Sep/09 7:45pm

Kazmeistyr wrote:
Nick_K wrote:

wateva

Your sick. Give yourself a Dragon Punch to the snoz.

No u r
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"

Postby danose on Tue 22/Sep/09 7:58pm

DD-Rick wrote:A track that 'sort of' followed my drawn line would not be visible from many places other than the summit road, from tunnel road or the gondola station you would see it, but not
much.

and of course there's ALREADY a huge, ugly gondola up the valley, plus a large powerline and really WIDE (and hence very visible) walking track (apparently since it's 'historic' is acceptable) up the valley - so the visual impact of a mtb track is not really going to make any difference :satan:

but having battled similar beaureucratic mindsets in climbing ('ooeer - those bolts are shiny, what about the visual impact') I doubt any battle will have a happy outcome
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Tue 22/Sep/09 9:11pm

Ah don't be so pessimistic - I'll see your shiney bolt and raise you a switchback that it happens sometime - just not sayin / speculating when ..... every good thing comes to those who are patient enough. Not that a track off the gondola will be screamingly wonderful rollercoaster for adren freaks, but a track that heads downwards none-the-less .....
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Cycling | Downhill Racing | Freeriding (MTB) | Lower South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Otago | Queenstown | Regions | Shuttling | Wanaka - Latest Posts