Re: Mountain Bikes On Nz Ski Fields - What Went Wrong

Postby Trail on Mon 21/Sep/09 12:01pm

danose wrote:
OAP wrote:But no seriously, getting back to the club areas that were being mentioned, as some know there is already a network of XC trails being developed and soon you may see some DH/freeride trails around the Castle Hill, Broken River forest area

'being developed'? Sure there's edge/luge/dracophyllum, and the wee network of trails in the block of bush behind the village - but the planned link from that block thru and over to the old skating rink never seemed to get anywhere - has that plan actually been resurrected (was a good idea - I'd much rather ride singletrack to/from the village than face trudging up the road)

Last I heard the stumbling block was still getting permission from DOC. I would love to see a network of trails in the forests up there. It is a fantastic place for riding!!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Mon 21/Sep/09 12:02pm

Guess we will all just have to keep riding uphill to enjoy th downhill then.
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby weezel on Mon 21/Sep/09 12:09pm

Chair lift access is a novelty for us kiwis,we have heaps of trails all accessible by vehicle or other means other than having to rely on a chair lift.
Ive been there and done it on TC,Coro and at the DP,all good fun but far cheaper to load a car with the crew and go ride,where and when we want,recession or not most of us are tight and this is where a lot of the problem lies
weezel
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby OAP on Mon 21/Sep/09 1:30pm

Trail wrote:
danose wrote:
OAP wrote:But no seriously, getting back to the club areas that were being mentioned, as some know there is already a network of XC trails being developed and soon you may see some DH/freeride trails around the Castle Hill, Broken River forest area

'being developed'? Sure there's edge/luge/dracophyllum, and the wee network of trails in the block of bush behind the village - but the planned link from that block thru and over to the old skating rink never seemed to get anywhere - has that plan actually been resurrected (was a good idea - I'd much rather ride singletrack to/from the village than face trudging up the road)

Last I heard the stumbling block was still getting permission from DOC. I would love to see a network of trails in the forests up there. It is a fantastic place for riding!!

One day i'll get this quoting thing right (cheers Oli)

Is anyone actively getting onto DOC about the track through to the village?

What I have heard is that the Cheeseman guys are looking to reopen the old "walking" tracks for mountain bike trails. With the access road being kept open to the old hut all summer those tracks can be accessed from there but aren't that easy to find right now.
OAP
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby Trail on Mon 21/Sep/09 1:56pm

OAP wrote:
One day i'll get this quoting thing right (cheers Oli)

Is anyone actively getting onto DOC about the track through to the village?

What I have heard is that the Cheeseman guys are looking to reopen the old "walking" tracks for mountain bike trails. With the access road being kept open to the old hut all summer those tracks can be accessed from there but aren't that easy to find right now.

Mark Timmermans of the Castle hill mountain bike club would be able to tell you where this is up to. They have definitely been talking to DOC about getting this track, but as far as I know have not yet got permission. This is a summary of the proposal. http://www.doc.govt.nz/upload/documents ... -basin.pdf

The track across dracophyllum flat which runs from Jacks Pass on the BR access road across to the Cheeseman hut/skating rink is still clear. I do not go anywhere near it unless it has been very dry though as it currently goes through a bunch of swampy areas. It is not hard to find and a trundle out to dracophyllum flat after doing the edge and luge is sometimes tacked onto our rides. Are there other tracks in that bit of forest? If so it would be great to have them cleared/opened for biking. There is a large hillside of forest in there which looks perfect for biking!
Trail

Postby danose on Mon 21/Sep/09 2:09pm

Trail wrote:Mark Timmermans of the Castle hill mountain bike club would be able to tell you where this is up to. They have definitely been talking to DOC about getting this track, but as far as I know have not yet got permission. This is a summary of the proposal. http://www.doc.govt.nz/upload/documents ... -basin.pdf

didn't the land swap deal with the owner of castle hill station and doc run into problems - don't know if they've been resolved, and that track was planned to run thru land involved in the deal

Are there other tracks in that bit of forest? If so it would be great to have them cleared/opened for biking. There is a large hillside of forest in there which looks perfect for biking!

yep - there's other tracks up there, since back when it was Forestry Service land they were really into track building - the dracophyllum 'track' is one of theres (complete with those vintage track blazes).
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby MissChaff on Mon 21/Sep/09 2:11pm

Back to club fields again, I wanted to cast a view on the organisational model they use in contrast to the more commercial fields. They developed from scratch with the same kind of ideas and lack of resources mtber's face, yet managed to put together a skifield of sorts despite the obstacles.

Necessity often breeds innovation, what else could be used other than a chairlift? what about some crazy giant belt thingy that could be stepped onto ..... :)
MissChaff
"Delete cookies?"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby danose on Mon 21/Sep/09 2:18pm

MissChaff wrote:Necessity often breeds innovation, what else could be used other than a chairlift?

why do I now have a scary image in my head of zane being towed up a scree slope on his bike by a nutcracker tow! :o
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Mon 21/Sep/09 2:36pm

danose wrote:
MissChaff wrote:Necessity often breeds innovation, what else could be used other than a chairlift?

why do I now have a scary image in my head of zane being towed up a scree slope on his bike by a nutcracker tow! :o

through the front triangle of the Turner, not sat on it. For "safety"
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Trail on Mon 21/Sep/09 2:47pm

I dont wanna be towed anywhere by my nuts :blink:
Trail

Postby radiusq on Mon 21/Sep/09 2:55pm

MissChaff wrote:Back to club fields again, I wanted to cast a view on the organisational model they use in contrast to the more commercial fields. They developed from scratch with the same kind of ideas and lack of resources mtber's face, yet managed to put together a skifield of sorts despite the obstacles.

Necessity often breeds innovation, what else could be used other than a chairlift? what about some crazy giant belt thingy that could be stepped onto ..... :)

Heh. How about a device for riding nutcrackers on a mountain bike? It could be the most dangerous way to gain some altitude yet? :) Perhaps a consumer level jetpack would be easier?

I''ve seen a video with Matti Lehikoinen riding a pommer lift on his bike. So perhaps it's not completely unfeasible?
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Mon 21/Sep/09 3:08pm

Have a friend on the parks and rec dept of Chch council (she is a walker not a biker) there is NO WAY they would ever let some bike tracks be built under the gondala something about spoiling the natural beuty of the hill etc, i did point out that you build a fu**ing gondala up it she was horrified that that got through in the 1st place.
but anyway its probably a bit steep under the gondola for anyone but the hardy DH boys, but the gondola could be a way of getting joe average tourist to the top of the hill so they can gently roll back to town.
But then getting resource consent to be able to get your bike from the gondola station to the sumit rd would take 10 yrs of resource concent..........
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby Trail on Mon 21/Sep/09 3:09pm

danose wrote:
Are there other tracks in that bit of forest? If so it would be great to have them cleared/opened for biking. There is a large hillside of forest in there which looks perfect for biking!

yep - there's other tracks up there, since back when it was Forestry Service land they were really into track building - the dracophyllum 'track' is one of theres (complete with those vintage track blazes).

Hmm anyone got mappage of where the old tracks are supposed to be?
Trail

Postby MissChaff on Mon 21/Sep/09 3:13pm

danose wrote:

hahaha were you in my head just now?
MissChaff
"Delete cookies?"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Trail on Mon 21/Sep/09 3:14pm

RHR_Rob wrote:but the gondola could be a way of getting joe average tourist to the top of the hill so they can gently roll back to town.
City Cycle hire already sits his truck on summit road just below the gondola and average joe tourist can hire a bike from him and roll back to town.

But then getting resource consent to be able to get your bike from the gondola station to the sumit rd would take 10 yrs of resource concent..........

That bit of land is managed by DOC (I think?), and the people wanting to run bikes on the gondola have already got permission to start building a track from the gondola to the summit road. Their next step is to get permission to build a track (easy track) that would go down under John Britten reserve and then back across to the gondola station.
Trail

Cycling | Downhill Racing | Freeriding (MTB) | Lower South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Otago | Queenstown | Regions | Shuttling | Wanaka - Latest Posts