Postby parapie on Tue 27/May/08 7:39pm

Hey guys where abouts where will this meeting be?
I know idea's are for the meeting but maybe we should try getting the anual club membership working again. It may help give the club a bit of a voice locally having a large amount of (known) members. :)
parapie
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby The_Quinsta on Wed 28/May/08 8:42pm

unsure yet man but i will post up when we sort it out
Cheers on the keen-ness
The_Quinsta
"If i ain't riding or building it must be dark and im playing Counter Strike or Combat Arms"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby parapie on Wed 28/May/08 9:01pm

Yeah I love P Haks.
parapie
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby onerahi on Wed 18/Jun/08 7:23pm

update
well the council and pmbc are starting the build on the carpark at the bottom, this however is going to impact on the bottm of the trail some of u guys have been building, the carpark is a great resource that will hopefully kick some intrest in the area. there will be a large sign and info board with trail map and information.

the pd workers will also be starting in the area and working on the agreed plans from last year, this is wicked news as trail cuts will be made and the number of trails will increase soon.

the parahaki guys need your help and enthusiasm, they are at the moment the only point of contact with the council and at the moment technically the only people that have the permission to build new trails, i implore you all to get in and sort this out, right or wrong the hill needs to be managed in an effective way to limit a rabbit warren of trails and to keep trails safe and well built. now i am hardly the first person to say i know how to build trails, actually i know very little, and built the main trail with lances, phils, geoffs and some other experienced guys help. i made plenty of f#$%^ ups.

the plans initally i believe is to create a small family loop trail, and metal and drain it well to be ridden by all levels of rider and to be able to be ridin all year round.
also some of the wooden posts and retaining stuff on resurection will need to be removed to make it a safe trail. this is the wooden ledge lance and i built and any other wooden stakes and such that are hazards.

so in the near future the pmbc will be workin on the hill, see steve gwillam, he is spear heading the devlopment, they are also keen to help construct a proper dh trail on the steeper part of the hill which looks good, gnarly steep and super fast tech stuff is all good.

the club will be wound down as of this month as myself, lance, geoff, grant have all moved on and it seems null and void to run it......
:(

so good luck guys and might come for a ride in the summer.......
mark
onerahi
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 18/Jun/08 8:52pm

onerahi wrote: update

the club will be wound down as of this month as myself, lance, geoff, grant have all moved on and it seems null and void to run it......
:(

Sounds inevitible to me. It was fun while it lasted, my only big regret in moving away was in not being able to contrbute. Hope I see you out on the trails sometime Mark.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby The_Quinsta on Wed 18/Jun/08 10:52pm

Cheers Mark, Looks like it's gonna turn to shit then, i will get in contact with Steve and try to sort out some stuff with him. Any idea on where i can contact him?? Through the glebervie site?? or something.
The_Quinsta
"If i ain't riding or building it must be dark and im playing Counter Strike or Combat Arms"

Postby madpete on Thu 19/Jun/08 10:15am

The_Quinsta wrote: Cheers Mark, Looks like it's gonna turn to shit then, i will get in contact with Steve and try to sort out some stuff with him. Any idea on where i can contact him?? Through the glebervie site?? or something.

Hi Mark

who at the council should we contact just to let them know that we are still around (as stake holders in the MTB Park). if they don't know about us, or think we have all gone, how will we develop DH for the youth of Whangarei, and us old buggers.
madpete
"Whatever Fool!"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby pmc on Thu 19/Jun/08 12:53pm

Hi all Parahaki rider and builders.

We just need to set the record straight and get some vital missing information out there for all you track builders.
Bottom line is that we are all MTB riders of some kind so we have a similar interest and goal.

When it comes to track building this below info may help.

There is no current WDC management plan specifiaclly to the track building.
The Parks Manager (who incidently is a MTBer and track builder him self) is overseeing what is occuring on the hill.
Currently the arrangement is that if you would like to build a track you make application to him, with details like route, type of track, how it is going to be constructed etc. Just a good sketch seems to work.
He checks it out and approves or other wise.
Process has been reasonably quick, but he is a busy man.
WDC phone no 4304200.

Big picture is that this MTB park is a PUPLIC park and not specifically for particular groups or persons.
So anything we do we need to keep in mind all the users, from mums and kids up.
With this in mind we need good clear easily riden main loops and from this should grow the more technical tracks.
We want to encourage people to ride and they need easy tracks at the begining. Once experienced they can hit the more technical stuff.

Currently we see a rabit warren of tracks appearing on the lower hillside.
We believe it is a case of spreading out over the whole hill.

More specifacally due to the current situation where WDC are not assisting with any track maint we should only build what we are prepared to maintain. It a hell job in the goarse.
Currently there are lots of tracks that are gd rides but falling into disrepair.
This issue is important and should be given some thought before more tracks are constructed.

Another critcal aspect is that any track builder needs to understand good track layout and the difficulties with the clay soils found on Parahaki.
Tracks should not be constructed down fall lines and ridges, they will scour badly very quickly like the State Highway track.
Now with nil cover from the tree canopies all track surfaces are exposed to all the weather.
T :) here is plenty of gd info in books IMBA and web site and locally on good track planning and building which should be used.

Seeing what the DH tracks were like at the worlds in rotovegus shouldn't you DH boys be heading for the step slope just recently cleared.That looks like fun and broken bones.

Thats us for now, see you up the hill riding or buiklding.

Cheers.
pmc
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby pmc on Thu 19/Jun/08 2:09pm

Hi guys

Forgot to mention that WDC contractors are currently building a small carpark by Abbey Caves gate.

Big thanks to WDC for this.

This allow better access for all.

Cheers
pmc
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby madpete on Thu 19/Jun/08 2:36pm

Hi PMC

yeah i argee with you.
track building now days is SUPER important as it has to be SUSTAINABLE.
:)[/quote]

and to follow up on the IMBA website, on You Tube there is 9 videos of a IMBA track building DVD. these are really good... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EZRnizUXJQ
watch the video, then on the right hand side, click on "More From: steverips " and there is 8 more videos about IMBA track building.

these are really worth the time to watch as they give you a good, correct, way to build different types of tracks...hopefully you all have Broadband!!!![/quote]

so whats your contact details, as if we (about 6 dh guys) are building dh tracks, and you are building XC tracks, lets put our heads together. I understand Paul Mcdonald is the park guy to talk to...shall we all meet with him so that we are all on the same page with the future of the MTB park???

lets all plan it out together so that we get the best of all levels of MTB, easy, medium, and hard tracks built correctly.

Whangarei needs a good MTB park to attract riders north for some different riding trails...(apart from Woodhill) even if its just for a weekend ride.

feel free to contact me 021659034
cheers

Pete
madpete
"Whatever Fool!"

Postby The_Quinsta on Thu 19/Jun/08 7:19pm

Nice one PMC, i talked to the digger driver , digging up the area for the car park and gave him my number to pass onto Mark ?? i believe to give me a ring so we can go over the hill and devise a plan of attack, as Madpete said we have startred to get a good following going again with some keen riders so we are keen to mix in and get things rolling. Hope to hear from you guys soon :thumbsup:
Cheers Dan
The_Quinsta

Postby madpete on Thu 19/Jun/08 7:27pm

yeah i need some more trails to get the zimma frame up to speed :D :D :D

Dan, the weekends weather is looking like my riding...shit... whats the TB plan this weekend?
madpete
"Whatever Fool!"

Postby The_Quinsta on Thu 19/Jun/08 7:30pm

Um check the build forum zimma boyeeee hahaha

Nah 8 am build lower ressurection
The_Quinsta

Postby onerahi on Thu 19/Jun/08 10:25pm

dh riders....
please contact steve gwillam or rob cave thru hedgehog cycles.
there is a plan that was loosely formed last year, however the only trails that were agreed on was the main trail from top to bottom.
please contact the pmc, they should be your point of contact as the council will really only want to deal with one user group, if u are passionate about trail building then get organised with them, as it seems to be gaining some more momentum.
i wouldnt waste time or effort on the bottom of the hill. organise a trail with pmc. maintain old trails, tuna, chute trail and the gimp would be a trail for the DH guys as it is steep and tech.
the pmc has funding, contacts and experience so u guys would be mad not to get in with them.......anyway go riding in trees its heaps better
onerahi
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby butcher on Thu 19/Jun/08 10:31pm

dont forget to build djs, as we got nzs best djer
and some pics of dhs on the doubles or launching off the chute
butcher
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Cycling | New Zealand | Northland | Regions | Upper North Island - Latest Posts