Nz Motorsport

Postby Datsane on Sat 29/Dec/07 9:35am

So I like my Motorsports and like most if not all petrolheads I like to watch* from time to time. Now this might only apply to me but has any one else found that unless you are after info, dates etc... on events that are large in scale ie V8 supercars and A1 GP. You normally don't hear about them or get the info from a friend of a friend which isn't always correct. And lets face it NZ sport coverage on anything other then rugby is just shit even thats crap most of the time.

Some of this could be my location (Hamilton), although its close to 3 (if you count drag) major race tracks of blacktop and 2 or 3 dirt ovals. Plus afew MX tracks.

Is there a web site like Vorb for motorsport, where are people getting there info on dates etc... to watch these things.

*Only your mum, your old mans nuts are much to hairy :crazy:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Nordy on Sat 29/Dec/07 9:38am

car club websites are a good place to start, as are drivers websites.
Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Nordy on Sat 29/Dec/07 9:39am

Nordy
"Canon + me = <3"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Datsane on Sat 29/Dec/07 9:52am

Now thats kind of my point.
It is what I'm looking for in most ways. But its left out the A1 GP and the V8supercars. and nothing offroad.

Maybe I'm being to fussy I don't know.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby Datsane on Sat 29/Dec/07 10:26am

In saying that it is a good web site will alot of minor races to watch. But no info on the race like when, price etc...
That is why Vorb as a events site is so good.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby dented on Sat 29/Dec/07 12:18pm

Its a funny one, like most things it comes down to governing bodies. You know V8 supercars is an australian series, A1GP is some weired UAE run thing, all speedway has their own thing going on, with differentr calenders for every track, then within NZ you get different calenders under MNZ for the different circuit racing stuff. There is Tier 1 (NZV8's, production cars, Toyota racing, F/Fords, etc etc), Then Tier 2 which includes stuff like OSCA's, Pre65, Pro7, SS2000, Super6, Formula First, Central Region Muscle Cars, Super GT, etc, but then at any Tier1 meeting you mamy or may not see every one of those classes, and there will always be up to another 4 classes that may or may not be racing (ie: HQ's, Classics, Production Muscle Cars, Super Sedans, etc).
Nordy is right, most of those classes have their own (generally very poorly maintained) websites, which will normally have some form of outdated calender listed on there.

You would think that with Motorsport being so heinously top-heavy in the management department, that someone in their right mind might have though to publish 1 big calender somewhere, listing all of the classes involved on any particular date. The only explanation as to why they havent, comes down to money. MNZ get their money when the host club/track runs an event. They have to pay MNZ $20,000 just to hold the event. It is then up to the club/track to recover the money. The vast majority do this by splitting the cost up so that the competitors pay it via their entry fee. The beuaty of this arrangement is that the club/track then does not have to do any promotion of the event, because to break even they dont need to get any spectators through the gate. And MNZ doesnt care because they already got their money.
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby dented on Sat 29/Dec/07 12:20pm

In saying that, if you keep an ear to the ground, you can find out most stuff, and this time of the year is great for Motorsport, eg, tonight I will be going to Baypark to watch the Sprintcar series. On Tues day I will be at Taupo for the Drags. Then Taupo again next weekend on Jan 5/6 for the Tier 2 race meeting. :thumbsup:
dented

Postby Datsane on Sat 29/Dec/07 12:29pm

I have noticed alot of it is kept within clubs to.

You would think that MNZ would promote better the more people that know the more the clubs make the better the races and event become. I wonder how hard it would be to get an event calander from all if not most of the clubs and track with abit about each date.

Alot of the stuff I like to watch is the tier2 something about it is just better.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

RE: Nz Motorsport

Postby Halo24 on Sat 29/Dec/07 12:40pm

Datsane wrote:
Is there a web site like Vorb for motorsport, where are people getting there info on dates etc... to watch these things.

Start one! :thumbsup:
Halo24
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Datsane on Sat 29/Dec/07 12:58pm

Thought had crossed my mined. Would be a good crash course in html programming I guess :crazy:

Maybe its time to look into free web space :paranoid: but we all know where that can lead :lol:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby Halo24 on Sat 29/Dec/07 2:40pm

$200 a year will get you 4Gb of traffic a month (i.e. tons!) and you can download and install postnuke & phpbb for free, piece of piss, another $30 or so a year for a domain and you're in business!

http://www.freeparking.co.nz/hosting/in ... 5C00000000
Halo24
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby wachtourak on Sat 29/Dec/07 2:49pm

Central Muscle Cars should be Tier 1, it's so mint. They should be running at the V8 Supercars too, not this gay Mini Challenge shit. Should run the Formula 5000's as well. I think there is some big meeting for them coming up soon but it's at Ruapuna or something :( There is gonna be a meeting with like 10 Can-Am cars at Ruapuna in the near future too, that would be amazing to see.

In Australia they run their historic touring cars at the V8 supercar meetings. It just seems like such a logical support class. I mean most people who are into V8 Supercars probably aren't so much into the TRS cars etc. NZ V8's, CMC (or Super GT maybe), Historic Formula 5000 would be soooo much better as support classes.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby GraemeWi on Sat 29/Dec/07 4:48pm

I think most of the problems is that the different motorsport governing bodies don't like each other, eg NZ motorsport (or whatever they call themselves) don't like NZDRA, or the motorbike / speedway. I remember lots of strife when a car club I was in was looking to align with either the drags or the circuit.

Would be an awesome idea to have a motorsport based forum covering all the good stuff.

If you want help with a domain / hosting, it's easy and way cheaper then you would think, eg US$5 a month for 10 gig of bandwidth and 400mb of disk space plus $US$10 per year for the domain. Thats what I pay to run the open maps project website

Cheers,

G
GraemeWi
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby dented on Sat 29/Dec/07 5:19pm

wachtourak wrote: Central Muscle Cars should be Tier 1, it's so mint. They should be running at the V8 Supercars too, not this gay Mini Challenge shit. Should run the Formula 5000's as well. I think there is some big meeting for them coming up soon but it's at Ruapuna or something :( There is gonna be a meeting with like 10 Can-Am cars at Ruapuna in the near future too, that would be amazing to see.

In Australia they run their historic touring cars at the V8 supercar meetings. It just seems like such a logical support class. I mean most people who are into V8 Supercars probably aren't so much into the TRS cars etc. NZ V8's, CMC (or Super GT maybe), Historic Formula 5000 would be soooo much better as support classes.

MNZ has a 10-year plan which only see's the current Tier1 classes evolve. MNZ believes the future of motorsport is only in new/current model cars. Take the production series for example, the cars competing may not be more than 6 years old. That means that every year, another crop of racecars are no longer eligible, and there is no other class available for them to slot into. Its crazy really, but they make the rules so waddayagunnado. I agree with you about what would make the best support classes, you only need to watch the grandstands (and the ques at the hot-dog stands disappear), when a grunty V8 class lines up. MNZ see's the Formula Ford class as a feeder class for the Toyota class. Likewise the Production class as a feeder for the NZV8's. Then they have the Mini challenge as a one-make class, to feed those drivers into the Porsches (another one-make class). Everything in Tier 1 except the NZV8's will put you to sleep unfortunately, it shouldnt be that way but it is.

The Central Muscle Cars have got some very clever guys working the marketing of their class, they have been getting editorial space in several high-circulation magazines for the past few years (Australian Muscle Car, Street Machine, to name a few), so when they got the invite to the Muscle Car Masters at Eastern Creek this year, they made sure they got nearly every car there, and put on an awesome show. Avesco have indicated that they want CRMC as a support class, but unfortunately due to the obstinate nature of MNZ, it will never be at Hamilton, but possibly at Calder Park, or Eastern Creek, something like that.

As for the F5000's, there are 2 North Island meetings with them coming up. They are at Pukekohe on Jan 26-27, and then at Taupo on Feb 2-3. I have heard rumours that they will be fields of over 40, although I believe those fields will be a combination of F5000's and Tasman/Atlantic/Pacific cars. Still, pretty fricken choice!
dented

Motoring | Motorsport | Sifting - Latest Posts