Motor Pacing Question

Postby Speedanator on Mon 16/Feb/09 12:33pm

Mostly all track cyclists seem to do motor pacing prior to there key events.

Why is that? What are the benefits?
Speedanator
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Re: Motor Pacing Question

Postby 123 on Mon 16/Feb/09 4:05pm

Just because of the slip stream effect I'm guessing.
Faster speed, trying to mimic race conditions
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Speedanator on Mon 16/Feb/09 4:46pm

Thanks, can understand that it could be helpful to mimic being in a race.

But for sprinters, pursuiters, kilo riders, I don’t understand the value of doing it, especially when often done at cadences that are above specific race cadences;
and/or
When you experience minimum air resistance that’s not the case when you're not behind another rider.

Thanks for any thoughts, I’m just one of those people who likes to understand how things work!
Speedanator

Postby 123 on Tue 17/Feb/09 7:08pm

Here we go!
http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index ... 98270.html

haven't read all of it, but people seem to know what they are talking about
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Speedanator on Tue 17/Feb/09 8:19pm

I've been asking some riders (and the odd coach) why they do it and what the benefits are and the answers basically are "it makes ya faster" or "leg speed".

I'm sure lots of people do it because everyone else is doing it, they've always done it or because everone says it makes you faster and for some coaches who have got too old, slow or fat (not meaning to offend anyone) they can get their speed fix zooming around on the motorbike!!!

But I question, does it really make you faster? (beside helping you suck a wheel). Maybe there are better ways to make yourself faster?
Speedanator

Postby specializedman on Tue 17/Feb/09 10:10pm

Speedanator wrote:I've been asking some riders (and the odd coach) why they do it and what the benefits are and the answers basically are "it makes ya faster" or "leg speed".

I dont understand how it works either.

If you want leg speed, go restrict your gears to U17 and do some long descents while racing cars down the hill,

or alternatively put your bike in the granny gear and pedal like crazy.

It just seems to be a matter of doing the same effort but at higher speeds.

I could understand if the car was pacing them, gradually increasing speeds and that, I do the same thing on a local road that runs next to some train tracks, I ride next to a train as it accelerates out of town and see how fast I can keep with it to.
Its a hell of a good work out.
specializedman
"I am a very biking boy."
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby disco on Wed 18/Feb/09 9:27am

I'm no expert on the topic but I have seen a few people motorpacing over the years.

As to the actual why, I'm not 100% sure. Most probably because it has always been done that way... but I am sure it produces a positive training effect even if it is only a mental one that you are 2 weeks out from National, your motorpacing and going damn fast!!

I would suspect that motorpacing can target the true top end speed (lets say 65-75km/hr for sprinters) without the rider having to blow his load and waste all their energy actually getting up to this speed in the first place.

I'd say most of the stuff people are doing on the road would be more constant 40-45km/hr just as a quick fix to cram in some "race speed" that they probably lack from not racing in enough hard races.

On the Track coaches are a bit more specific with both pursuiters and sprinters doing "wind outs" where they just get faster and faster, usually over 2-3km. Pursuiters and endurance riders are also doing on/offs, simulating Teams Pursuiting or bunch riding allowing the rider to go faster for longer. Sprinters can try motorpaced acceleration starts, having the bike accellerate ahead of you in a start gives you a great carrot to chase.
disco
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Cycling | Track Cycling - Latest Posts