Motivation

Postby Tinkerbell on Thu 14/May/09 10:53am

Last night I found out, the hard way, fear of failure drives me. I’m not out to win when I race, I’m more realistic than that. I would like to not get last, but sometimes I put myself in situations where that’s just the way it’s going to be because I’m pushing far beyond my comfort zone, like at the Hammerhead, and last night. However last night, at my first actual attempt at a competitive race post elbow snapping, I got worse than last, and believe me this is hard to write, I got the big DNF. I could say I got lost, lots of people did. I could say I got a flat tyre, there were plenty of those. I could even say a marauding gang of possums forced me off the track and stole my bike pump, but that would obviously be a lie, or a delusion. The fact was I was just too slow. So slow that I was very aware that even if I finished, and I know I could have, I would have had over a hundred people standing around in the cold waiting for me to cross the line so the prize giving could start, trying to prevent frostbite in their various extremities. I did not want to be that person. My initial reaction, which might have had something to do with low blood sugar, was that I never wanted to go near my bike for anything more competitive than the commute to work. However this morning I feel very different. I feel very, very motivated. I will not let this race beat me. I will finish it without those at the front of the pack getting hypothermia waiting for me. I will get my legs back.

Enough of that, now a more prosaic vision of the night race…..

Link to original article: http://ilovetobikelots.blogspot.com/200 ... ation.html
Sourced from RSS Feed: http://ilovetobikelots.blogspot.com/rss.xml
Original Published: 10:49am Thursday, 14th May 2009 - NZST
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Motivation

Postby nostromo on Thu 14/May/09 11:38am

I had a friend get into running (still does it). She is not built for running and is slow but really enjoys it.
She decided to go in a club race, they assured her it was for all levels of competitiveness. After 3 minutes she couldn't see any other runners, through the course of the run as she came up to marshals they would see her and start picking up the road cones before she got past them :D and at the finish it was a ghost town.

But personally I've done marshalling and I think good on that person as long as there trying, thats the whole point - trying to do your best.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby thorg on Thu 14/May/09 11:39am

I believe I wrote a race report like that once, called "three little letters" .

i also believe i have since deleated it.

Dont worry, DNF wont kill you, unless you let it. You made a smart move, back your decision, and dont repeat it.

next time, yep, next time; next time WILL be better!

[clever edit] three-little-letters-duro-race-report-now-with-update-t63090.html?hilit= three little letters > found it.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby xcmtb on Thu 14/May/09 12:36pm

It's not so bad arriving at the ghost town of a finish line, and don't worry about everyone waiting for you for prizegiving... When I DFL'd the singlespeeds, the only people left at the finish line was the better half, the in laws, Mr_Bob, Mel and PBR. even the beer tent had packed up and left. However there was Appletons waiting at the line, so that made it all better.
xcmtb
"DFL - Dead Twazzicking Last!"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Thu 14/May/09 1:26pm

xcmtb wrote:It's not so bad arriving at the ghost town of a finish line, and don't worry about everyone waiting for you for prizegiving... When I DFL'd the singlespeeds, the only people left at the finish line was the better half, the in laws, Mr_Bob, Mel and PBR. even the beer tent had packed up and left. However there was Appletons waiting at the line, so that made it all better.

Nice, I think a nice strong whiskey on the finish line would have been go last night, but not conducive to driving home :huh:
Any other race I wouldn't care about that, but its bloody freezing standing around after the race and they do wait for everyone to get back in, so it was more about being considerate for others, next week might be different :satan:
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"

Postby Butch on Thu 14/May/09 1:46pm

Look at it this way, even with a DNF, you still did a lot better than 99% of the population, at least you were out there doin it! :thumbsup:

I'll bring the whiskey next time. :D
Butch
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space!"
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Thu 14/May/09 1:48pm

Deal, I'll bring a sober driver! :D
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"

Postby danose on Thu 14/May/09 1:56pm

xcmtb wrote:When I DFL'd the singlespeeds, the only people left at the finish line was the better half, the in laws, Mr_Bob, Mel and PBR.

hell, there ain't nothing wrong with a DFL - first attempt at vulcaniser earned me a DFL and the joy of crossing the finish line as they were lining up the kids for the lunchtime race :D It got to the point where pulling out (and dying) would have been the easy option - is asking the marshalls to push you uphill cheating?
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby xcmtb on Thu 14/May/09 2:17pm

danose wrote:
xcmtb wrote:When I DFL'd the singlespeeds, the only people left at the finish line was the better half, the in laws, Mr_Bob, Mel and PBR.

hell, there ain't nothing wrong with a DFL - first attempt at vulcaniser earned me a DFL and the joy of crossing the finish line as they were lining up the kids for the lunchtime race :D It got to the point where pulling out (and dying) would have been the easy option - is asking the marshalls to push you uphill cheating?
it's a laugh thinking back to PBR finding me asleep in the middle of the track...
xcmtb
"DFL - Dead Twazzicking Last!"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 14/May/09 2:20pm

Fear of failure is very motivational. I end up relying on it all the time. I wish it wasn't like that :(
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby crazychris on Thu 14/May/09 2:28pm

race 1 = practice, only races 2-8 count!
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby nagem on Thu 14/May/09 3:03pm

Mate...it's better than a DNS...which is where I place in all events!! Good onya for starting!! :D
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby BiteMe on Thu 14/May/09 3:17pm

The hardouts are the ones that get back on the bike to start the next race. Go kick arse Tinkerbell :thumbsup:
BiteMe
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycling | Middle South Island | Mountain Biking | Mountain Biking Love Story | New Zealand | Regions | Vogs - Latest Posts