Postby happybaboon on Mon 8/Dec/08 5:31pm

radical_edward wrote: Extremely good article about the few that went against the madness and bet the farm on the market tanking:

Link

[quote]
........And then we made a significantly-less-honest one of those guys our Prime Minister. :D
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Tama on Fri 12/Dec/08 8:04am

[quote=" http://www.smartmoney.com/Investing/Eco ... your-cash/ "]THE DAY THE Dow fell 777 points, David Latham, a 45-year-old Alabama cattle farmer and electrician, was busy doing errands. Driving his Chevy pickup into Montgomery, he dropped by the hardware store, then stopped into the bank, where he withdrew $8,000 from his CD account, all in 20s. Back home, he slipped the four inch-thick bundles into a Ziploc bag, popped them into a waterproof PVC tube and set out for a remote location on his 300-acre property, where he dug a deep hole with a post digger. And then he buried his money.

Is there an American alive who hasn’t considered burying his savings—or at least stashing it in the mattress—as this financial crisis has deepened? Latham assumes the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. will step in if his bank collapses, but he figures it might take a few weeks to get his money. Now, he says, “I can get my hands on cold, hard cash anytime I want.â€
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby dented on Fri 12/Dec/08 8:32am

Wonder if his name and address appears in the Alabama phone directory?
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Flyboy on Fri 12/Dec/08 8:33am

:pmob: bet we could track him down, but good luck finding a piece of PVC piping in 300 acres!
Flyboy
"Destined for Disaster"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby dented on Fri 12/Dec/08 8:37am

Torture?
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Tama on Mon 15/Dec/08 8:46am

[quote=" http://www.stuff.co.nz//blogs/showmethe ... -syndrome/ "]We still look to America, Britain and possibly even Japan for our global economic cues. Newspapers rarely report the economic weather emanating from China, yet the ups and downs of the Dow, US GDP and Britain’s economy are often covered. As one very unscientific measure of the international news we care about, it’s worth looking at where New Zealand media put foreign correspondents. TVNZ has reporters in London, New York and Sydney, but none in Beijing. It used to have Charlotte Glennie in Hong Kong but let her go to save money.

The last couple of weeks have been horrific for the Chinese economy. On Thursday it reported that annual inflation slumped to 2.4% in November, well below October’s 4% and the 3% economists had predicted. On Wednesday it reported that exports fell 2.2% in November, the first fall in seven years. Imports fell 17.9% in November, which is an indicator that China’s â€
Tama

Postby bugle on Mon 15/Dec/08 9:39am

Slump to 6%... Wo are the Chinese Overlords

The same Chinese Overlords who just bought 20% of GE, not the finance company though... the GE that makes jet engines.

The same Chinese Overlords that are about to flood the world with BYD F3DM hybrids and want to buy 1 if not 2 of the failing big 3 (Ford it seems are not nearly as screwed as the others)

The same Chinese Overlords that own a good chunk of all that nasty US debt

The same Chinese Overlords who are busy buying up foreclosed US real estate, not the debt the actual houses...

Hope you can all use chopsticks
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Tama on Mon 15/Dec/08 9:41am

bugle wrote: Slump to 6%... Wo are the Chinese Overlords

The same Chinese Overlords who just bought 20% of GE, not the finance company though... the GE that makes jet engines.

The same Chinese Overlords that are about to flood the world with BYD F3DM hybrids and want to buy 1 if not 2 of the failing big 3 (Ford it seems are not nearly as screwed as the others)

The same Chinese Overlords who are busy buying up foreclosed US real estate, not the debt the actual houses...

Who do you work for again? :p
Tama

Postby Jono on Mon 15/Dec/08 9:44am

bugle wrote: Hope you can all use chopsticks

I'm looking forward to seasoning my dinner with soy synthesised from human hair and huge amounts of industrial acids.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Postby bugle on Mon 15/Dec/08 9:46am

Tama wrote:

It's a dirty job but someones gotta do it... I'm just the first of many
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"

Postby Tama on Mon 15/Dec/08 9:47am

bugle wrote:
Tama wrote:

It's a dirty job but someones gotta do it... I'm just the first of many
Not dissing, just noting the way of the world ;)
Tama

Postby j2hyde on Mon 15/Dec/08 1:33pm

The Chinese govt is having problems controlling the show. Civil unrest is increasing. They require powerhouse growth to placate the masses and stay in power.

Good luck to them with their US debit. Maybe the US treasury will print more money so they get a return? All the more reason to use the Euro as benchmark currency.

Also, why would anybody want to buy any of the big 3? They were doomed to failure even without the GFC. Even with a sucessful bailout restructuring will be hamstrung by dirty lazy unions.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby philstar on Mon 15/Dec/08 1:39pm

j2hyde wrote:
Also, why would anybody want to buy any of the big 3? They were doomed to failure even without the GFC. Even with a sucessful bailout restructuring will be hamstrung by dirty lazy unions.

not if you make most of them in china :)
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby bugle on Mon 15/Dec/08 1:56pm

philstar wrote:
j2hyde wrote:

not if you make most of them in china :)

Exactly, and rest assured the Chinese Overlords wont be wearing any of the legacy medical insurance/superannuation etc ball and chain that cripples the B3 now.

My pick is GM going to China, Pontiac does not have the 'global' brand awareness the Chinese like to buy and Ford are in relatively good shape (relative in a relative way of course)
bugle

Postby j2hyde on Mon 15/Dec/08 4:15pm

The whole marketing strategy and branding of the big 3 in their main market is that they make american cars.

You cant claim to be selling "freedom" when its made in china
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Economy | Sifting - Latest Posts