More Fork Opinions....

Postby isnowi on Thu 21/May/09 6:59am

Ha, got the fork sorted for my main bike a few weeks bake, bought a SH Psylo SL, haven't read much about it but the price was nice and it seems to do a nice job of what i ask it.

Anyway, i now am looking at a fork for the other (toy) bike, for which the criteria is totally different, this bike is running a 1x9 drivetrain, 24" wheels and is set up for somewhere between DJ and urban fun riding. I'm looking at either a rockshox argyle, or marzocchi dirtjumper fork, it must have 20mm front axle, so that rules out the lesser dirtjumper forks, and leads me to either the DJ1's or 2's or any one of the argyles. I've been offered an excellent deal on a brand new argyle 302, but have found it to have very little in the way of adjustability, not necessarily a bad thing, less to play with and muck up, but for what i am going to be spending i want it to be just right, and i would like the bike to stay relatively versatile, may do some 4x or even some light freeride, which would benefit from being able to tune the fork perhaps.

Anyone have any enlightened experience with either fork? I notice there are a few of both popping up on Tardme at the mo, i guess they are being sold off by people who are looking for slack squishy long travel..
isnowi
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Re: More Fork Opinions....

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 21/May/09 7:35am

or they've gone rigid, for street and dj you really don't need adjustment just a little bit of squish to take up the hit when you get it a little wrong.
any of those forks will be sweet for what you need
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 21/May/09 7:46am

schmoo is right, you don't need a whole heap of tuning for urban / DJ just a bit of squish

BUT, if you want adjustment and tuneability, check out the Marzo 4X World cup, the RC3 damper is highly adjustable, to get the fork really dialed in
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby SamKnight on Sat 23/May/09 7:24pm

also look into a pike if your not too hard on your bike
SamKnight
"Meh"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby isnowi on Sat 23/May/09 7:48pm

If i buy new i'll probably end up with the argyle 302, simple strong dependable (from what i've read) and there seems to be some good deals going on what i assume are '08 models.

If going second hand then things change a bit, i've been looking at DJ2's or the DJ urban's as fitted OEM to specialized's (would look pretty mint being that they have black stanchions and lowers, and the rest of my bike is all black too) these have air preload as i understand so that makes them perhaps a little more tuneable if i decide to more than just thrash around on this bike.

As for pikes, i suspect that to get a decent head angle i'd need to run them at the shortest travel (frame only designed for 80-100 travel fork) and i have concerns about the mechanisms used to limit travel, last thing i want to do is break the internals, as i have managed to do with the missus's rst fork.....

Cheers, Dan
isnowi

Postby SamKnight on Sat 23/May/09 8:04pm

argyle's are basically a pike with chromoly stanchions and without the travel adjust, the STP's used to come with a pike and they run perfectly fine on the 95mm travel function, you'd be doing extremely well to break the travel adjust function
(i've also heard a lot of argyles bend the steerer tube easily)
SamKnight
"Meh"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby chalky on Sat 23/May/09 8:12pm

I rate the argyle very highly, awesome fork that is sooooo stiff and strong, I give mine hell with flat landings and footjams and it just takes it in it's stride, never had a problem with it, and when I got mine the price was very respectable

I find the less adjustments on it the better
chalky
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby isnowi on Sat 23/May/09 8:14pm

SamKnight wrote:argyle's are basically a pike with chromoly stanchions and without the travel adjust, the STP's used to come with a pike and they run perfectly fine on the 95mm travel function, you'd be doing extremely well to break the travel adjust function
(i've also heard a lot of argyles bend the steerer tube easily)

I hadn't heard of bent steerers before. Might have to look into pikes, see what's what with the travel adjust. TBH i doubt i am going to break any of the forks mentioned thus far, but it's nice to know what has been broken on them.

cheers
isnowi

Postby isnowi on Sat 23/May/09 8:15pm

chalky wrote:I rate the argyle very highly, awesome fork that is sooooo stiff and strong, I give mine hell with flat landings and footjams and it just takes it in it's stride, never had a problem with it, and when I got mine the price was very respectable

Do you have the 302 or the 318?

cheers
isnowi

Postby chalky on Sat 23/May/09 8:20pm

isnowi wrote:
chalky wrote:I rate the argyle very highly, awesome fork that is sooooo stiff and strong, I give mine hell with flat landings and footjams and it just takes it in it's stride, never had a problem with it, and when I got mine the price was very respectable

Do you have the 302 or the 318?
cheers

Got the 302, no need for the 318, but thats up to the rider I guess
chalky

Postby chalky on Sat 23/May/09 8:23pm

Pikes get bent steerers not argyles
chalky

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 23/May/09 8:29pm

argyles are pike lowers on tora uppers, solid as fuck. the marzo dj series, solid as fuck. you guys are talking about the most basic of basic forks and really there isn't that much difference between them all.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby wachtourak on Sat 23/May/09 8:43pm

chalky wrote:Pikes get bent steerers not argyles

Funny, because they have the same steerer.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby isnowi on Sat 23/May/09 8:43pm

Yeah, thinking i'll try track down a dj2 2nd hand or else go for a BN argyle (if the dood can still do me a good deal)

cheers for all the opinions.
isnowi

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 23/May/09 8:48pm

wachtourak wrote:
chalky wrote:Pikes get bent steerers not argyles

Funny, because they have the same steerer.

i thought that pikes had aluminum steerer and stanchions?
shmoodiver

Cycling | Dirt Jumping (MTB) | Freeriding (MTB) | Mountain Biking | Urban + Park (MTB) - Latest Posts