Re: 7 Months With A Shimano Alfine Hub

Postby mjc on Wed 20/May/09 9:23am

Rode one of these at Glentress last year...
http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/io_id

Was fun, nice agile frame. Gears shifted sweetly (one or two were slightly slower than the rest) even when clogged with snow (it was december in scotland!). Took a while to get used to the silence, but I guess thats the same with SSing! Seemed to handle the off-road alright, but was pretty new so who knows.

Was wicked for the missus as she always forgets to down-shift in time for the hills!!
mjc
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Chopperyee on Fri 22/May/09 10:26pm

My ratios give me a equivalent low of 26 front and 30 rear =22.5 gear inches, low enough for bridal path, worsleys and K2 (vic park)
My top ratio is a equivalent 46 front and 17/16 rear =73 gear inches good enough for flat road with head wind but too easy for tail wind.
So all in all about perfect for most trail riding, the gearing gaps will take a bit to get used to as there is no one perfect gear as a casette would give you but its no dram really.
I don't think I would go 2 front chainrings because it adds complexity to a something we are trying to make simple and low maintenance.
I did a proper bike weigh in today and 26.2 lbs so pretty happy.
IMG_1433.JPG
Chopperyee
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby jimmi on Sat 23/May/09 4:13pm

jimmi wrote:
james wrote:Nice, hope to be alfining on my new bike in a few months.

Ditto. Ive gotta do some 5:00am road training this winter but cant bring myself to get a real road bike. The answer? Evil Resident 700c chromo with alfine. Cant wait for it to arrive.....

Here's my new bike - arriving June sometime (hopefully) Will change the saddle and possibly bars for a bit more win.
!cid_03063503-5B29-4F2A-98D8-21A7D27C63FE@superbigcreative.jpg
jimmi
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby Datsane on Sat 23/May/09 7:07pm

Mint what is it?
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby SlackBoy on Sat 23/May/09 7:09pm

Datsane wrote:Mint what is it?
Evil resident 700c chromo with afline. Can't you read
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Datsane on Sat 23/May/09 9:40pm

SlackBoy wrote:
Datsane wrote:Mint what is it?
Evil resident 700c chromo with afline. Can't you read

No, What was the give away.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby yak71 on Mon 19/Apr/10 10:40pm

Thread dredge....
I thought I'd give an update on my Alfine seeing as it has had a fair bit of use in different guises lately.
It's built to a mavic tn719(29er) to make it super versatile.

Currently set up on my roadrat 44x18. Running 23mm tyres so it goes pretty well. Easiest gear is good for seated pedaling up the gorge, and top gear is big enough for going down again. Almost too big in most situations in welli on the flat, but great with a tail wind.

Previously it was on my rat 34x18 with 35mm commuter tyres. Goes great in this format too. Much easier gearing for the slower & heavier tyres. Prob would be better with a 36 or a 38 up front.

It has also spent time on my peace 9r, 34x18 with big nobbies. I've taken it round makara a few times and think this is where it really shines. Treat it like a single speed with extras. Silent, no chain slap, but with instant shifting when required - well mostly instant. Sometimes you need to back off a teeny bit, but this is usually when changing to a bigger gear not an easier one. The opposite of a DR. Nice.

Overall I'm very happy with it. Silent, no maintenance, changes gears at traffic lights standing still, good range, very versatile laced to the right rim.

Downsides - There is a slight drag in the easier gears( 1-4) which tends to make me go for an even easier gear. But that might also just be me not used to seated climbing. It is fairly heavy, but off road that's not noticeable. Shifter not compatible with road bars - although apparently you can get them now. Shifting is reverse, ie like rapid rise - catches me every time I get back on a DR geared bike - not really a downside though.

I like it so much I'd get another one so I didnt have to share it between bikes, but for the cost that one.

hmmmm..... did someone say 10spd alfine????
yak71
"yeah definitely"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby znomit on Mon 19/Apr/10 10:50pm

yak71 wrote:hmmmm..... did someone say 10spd alfine????

Nope, 11...
http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/2010/ ... m-shimano/
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby ringo on Tue 20/Apr/10 8:29pm

yak71 wrote:Thread dredge....
I thought I'd give an update on my Alfine seeing as it has had a fair bit of use in different guises lately.

I may as well add my 10c worth on the Alfine I am running...

Mine is built up with a Mavic 823, making it a boat anchor, but indestructible. Being run on an On One 456, as part of an all purpose offroad commuter/winter maintenance free bike. Am running 32 chainring and a 23 sprocket (because I have to climb a mother of a hill on the way home). This is probably at the upper end of the torque that the hub can handle, by all accounts. This ratio gets me around most places, but spins out on the flat, and wouldn't quite get me up Tip Track (but I am not a machine). The 11spd will offer a wider range when it is released.

Positives: silent, no chainslap, nice chainline, low maintenance, shifting when stationery. Shifts reasonably smoother but have to ease off a bit as said above - this takes a bit of getting used to. So far it has held up well to all manner of riding, including Makara. But I need to do some long term testing and abuse to really decide on its durability.

Negatives: little bit of drag, the engagement isn't instantaneous - in some gears I can turn the cranks at least an eighth of the way around before it engages, which isn't ideal. It is noticeably heavier and this affects the way the bike handles - not a fatal flaw, just different and not as agile.

Overall for my purpose it is ideal. I am running it on my only bike at the moment, but due to weight and engagement issues it wouldn't be my only option in the long run. No doubt more demand and competition between manufacturers and R&D will make this sort of product get better and better in the long run.
ringo
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Datsane on Wed 21/Apr/10 2:26pm

ringo wrote:Am running 32 chainring and a 23 sprocket (because I have to climb a mother of a hill on the way home). This is probably at the upper end of the torque that the hub can handle, by all accounts.

What is the max torque value one can handle?
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby ringo on Wed 21/Apr/10 4:49pm

Datsane wrote:
ringo wrote:Am running 32 chainring and a 23 sprocket (because I have to climb a mother of a hill on the way home). This is probably at the upper end of the torque that the hub can handle, by all accounts.

What is the max torque value one can handle?

Um, don't know, and I am not that technical. Some folks on the IGH forum at mtbr.com seemed to think that around 32/18 was what it was optimised for and with this combo a sprocket into the mid-20s would be starting to push it towards the limit. But I don't really understand the physics or engineering involved so I don't know whether they are right or not! :p

I will know if the hub explodes but it seems to be OK under a fair bit of load. I am careful not to change under load
ringo
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Mel on Fri 23/Apr/10 5:01pm

znomit wrote:

Nope, 11...

Awesome. I wonder what the Australasian release date is? And what price?? :crazy: And can I wait that long?? :paranoid:
Mel
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Fri 23/Apr/10 5:09pm

Sketchy details on the interwebbies = out towards the end of 2010, and cost was indicated at about $400 or $500 US...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Datsane on Fri 23/Apr/10 5:23pm

Mel wrote:
znomit wrote:

Nope, 11...

Awesome. I wonder what the Australasian release date is? And what price?? :crazy: And can I wait that long?? :paranoid:

Discount for two then :lol:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"

Postby rst on Sun 2/May/10 8:07pm

"I read that it can be a nightmare to reattach the gear cable."

that may be.

i just turned my bike over ( http://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Mountain-Me ... B00267VN4M )

and removed the tire and tube from the rim and then loosened the lock nuts and lifted the tire from the bike leaving the gear cable attatched and slid the tube and tire out and replaced in reverse.

i never undid the gear cable and the shifting worked as it had been...with no problems.
rst
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Features | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts