Postby Tama on Wed 16/Jan/02 12:28pm

Had the first ride with my new rear wheel last night...

WTB hub, Mavic 618 ceramic - lovingly built by Wheels. It was quite interesting having a hydraulic disc on the front and Avid Arch brakes on the rear...

With a ceramic rim the rear brakes are easily as powerful as the disc. Sort of WHAM stopping power - have to relearn modulation on the back again - great for pulling skids though.

From memory when things get wet the ceramic rim will start to collect water - but in the mean time... utterly impressive. :)
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Jono on Wed 16/Jan/02 10:46pm

As a loving user of ceramic rims for the last 6 or so years, I agree - they rock. Of course, from time to time you'll get a massive smack from a rock and chip them, but they still work fine...

...and in the wet, I didn't find that they collected that much water...sometimes water would get caught between the double layers of the rim, but that would happen with any old rim with two layers...

So...tama...are the 618s nice rims then?
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Postby Nathan on Tue 22/Jan/02 12:55pm

Yes the Mavic 618 ceramic rims are the business and paired up with my new HS 33 Magura's the package is complete. You can stop on a dime. 10/10   :)
Nathan
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Jono on Tue 22/Jan/02 9:31pm

Ok - so you can stop on a dime, but can you do it without throwing yourself over the bars?  :eh:  (this is more of a "are you a lemon" question than a product query, I guess :)  )
Jono

Postby Nathan on Mon 28/Jan/02 11:35am

Me in complete control :eh: Dimes can be spread all around the stopping zone and I am bound to hit one right :p
Nathan

Postby Jono on Tue 29/Jan/02 8:09am

With practice like that, you would be heading for the wookie school of stopping (front wheel drop)?  :crazy:
Jono

Postby Tama on Tue 29/Jan/02 9:04am

The Wookie school of stopping goes a little something like this...

1. Ride fast on gravel
2. Ride faster on gravel
3. See the dangerous corner / obstacle approach
4. Realize that big boy + big bike = shitloads of momentum
5. Yank on brakes
6. Let front wheel turn sideways on loose gravel
7. Put weight forward to let rear wheel unweight
8. As your centre of gravity passes over the stem, let go of the handlebars.
9. Un clipping your feet probably a good idea too
10. Tuck you chin in and a roll your shoulder outwards
11. Apply downward shoulder and knee to gravel
12. Allow schmaving action of gravel to slow down sliding body
13. Get hit by incoming bike
14. Slide to stop in cloud of dust.

Kids - don't try this at home (Long Gully or the Wainuiomata firebreaks are ideal)  ;)
Tama

Postby Nathan on Tue 29/Jan/02 3:17pm

Well lately I have been practicing hitting trees with my right shoulder. Twice in 5 days :thumbsup: I do not recommend getting up close and personal with a 20 year old Pine Tree. :blush:
Nathan

Postby Tama on Tue 29/Jan/02 3:24pm

So what are you suggesting? Getting up close and personal with younger pine trees or older pine trees? I mean sure the younger ones are soft and flexible, but sometimes you need something to hang onto, and that's where older pine trees rock (or is that root?) :eh:

But remember kids - stay away from whitewoods - they may look loveable, but they're just not up to the punishing embrace of a hot lusty mountain biker. ;)
Tama

Postby Nathan on Tue 29/Jan/02 3:32pm

Bark is Bark, Wood is Wood, they are all fairly hard and don't say "sorry Jack Ass" when you fly into them. Although there was this one time back in band camp.... :crazy:
Nathan

Postby Jono on Tue 29/Jan/02 11:11pm

I remember a particular tree stump on bobs track that I kept on smashing my hip into. It was on the inside of a tight corner, and there was a nice 5-6m bank to fall down if you hit it hard enough...  :paranoid:
Jono

Postby Nathan on Wed 30/Jan/02 8:49am

Oh jono you poor boy hehe :love: let me kiss it better :eh:
Nathan

Postby Jono on Wed 30/Jan/02 9:08am

No need - it's all healed. And besides, bobs track is but a fond memory ever since the flippers caged up the valley so that they could have a private zoo...

:hmmm:
Jono

Postby Nathan on Wed 30/Jan/02 10:27am

Helping to stay on topic :rolleyes:  I just had to replace my first set of Pads on the Maguras :butbut: due to all the wet, half wet and damn hot riding over the Welly weekend I found that the standard rubber pads are gobbled up by My new Mavic 618 ceramic rims :cry: $45 dollars later for two sets of ceramic rim pads and it is all sweet. :)

If you need any parts for your Maguras I recommend www.groundzero.co.nz  :thumbsup:

now for more important things..... :sleeping:
Nathan

Postby Hoz on Wed 30/Jan/02 6:53pm

ahh, Bob's track........the memories, the memories

:crazy: think i recall that tree as well Jono :paranoid:  :huh:  :upsidedown: ....and the smashed rear der that resulted from the ensuing crash :dontgetit:

last I recall, ceramic rims cost a whole wad of the good stuff.......enough to put off a frequent rim muncher like myself from ever wasting precious coin on them :eh:

still, for v-brakes those Avid AR50's are pretty damn strong.....better than the xtr's on my other rig....even without ceramics :crazy:

ahh, Bob's track...those were the days(sorry) :rolleyes:
Hoz

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts