Postby Jono on Thu 31/Jan/02 11:00am

I've been a ceramics abuser for several years now (at least since 95), and they're damned fine. The mavic rims that they bother to put ceramic coating on tend to be pretty bombproof...

...and I never really found that they chewed through pads that fast. Certainly, ceramic specific pads last ages (mine go for anywhere between 4 and 6 months with a lot of riding) - maybe it's because I'm a light boy  :sneaky:

Ah bobs track - I actually (thinking about it) have fonder memories for the pylon track (the one that started at the middle "flat" section on the roller coaster, and ran down the right hand side of the dam - there was a section with a large tree leaning out over the track, and a big root in the middle of the track, and if you went in towards the tree, you could rail the dirt at it's base while leaned over, miss the root and the tree, get really close, and it would feel well fine. And then at the end (right next to the dam), there was a tricky switchback with a 2m drop off the side if you didn't do it right.

Bastards!  :angry:

Mind you, no point in getting worked up about it. Just go out and recreate the tracks in other places (that was (from my perspective) what deliverance was all about). Still got some plans for a deliverance extension when I get back...even got the name sorted out (natures revenge (tama will know where it comes from))
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Tama on Thu 31/Jan/02 11:46am

Nature's Revenge

weather turning towards a storm broken down road continue on coexistance imitating paradise unlike any seen moist has been dancing crazy overcast ash grey wording constantly pushing pulling pushes away drew back a rusty knife guilt ladle pour it understand i burn inside how to get out of here how do you get out of this natures revenge nature cage craving wonder the worth of it scream at the top of your lungs so many times tried not to wonder
:music:
Good call Mr B.

P.S. However, it does make me realise that I was quite a fucked up little monkey when I was 18 and used to sit on the floor between two large five way speakers and listen to stuff like this...
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"

Postby Nathan on Fri 1/Feb/02 8:36am

The only difference now Tama is that your speakers are in the Stigma and you tend to have captive listeners with you :crazy:
Nathan

Postby Jono on Fri 1/Feb/02 10:38am

Nathan - it's not inflicting the music on you, it's a public service :)

Besides, you didn't get my skinny puppy or godflesh  ;)
Jono

Postby Nathan on Fri 1/Feb/02 11:19am

Well the SPCA will be interested in your Skinny Puppy :hmmm: and I have not tried Godflesh :eh: what do you serve it with :dontgetit:
Nathan

Postby bugle on Thu 2/May/02 4:56pm

Ceramics suck, once the coating wears off you have a perfectly good rim with a coating of whatever they use to keep the ceramic bit on the alloy NIL STOPPING POWER IN THE WET!! :crazy:
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Jono on Thu 2/May/02 8:42pm

I dunno about that - i've got a pair of 6 year old ceramics that I'm still using (used all throughout the recent UK winter, because my damned crossmax freehub cracked)...I would definitely buy another ceramic rim...
Jono

Postby Vinnie on Tue 2/Jul/02 2:06pm

Mmmm, I agree, Ceramic Rims Rock.  I picked up a Mavic D521 Ceramic, 2nd hand, hardly used for $120, on a Shimano LX Hub :):)

Real mint rim, absolutely love it, although I tend to agree that it is eating the brake pads i've got (but they aren't ceramic specific, so herein the problem lies).  The only prob I've had with it was when I went riding in the weekend.  It was reasonabley wet (that fine as shit rain that gets into everything).  I didn't have a huge amount of stopping potential  to start with, and when you are racing down a 4WD drive track (after biking up a ruddy great hill!) it is a bit disconcerting knowing you will be entering single track with big hills to roll down if you go off a corner, or a bloody fence to crash into :crazy:. Ne1 got suggestions for better braking in the wet???
Vinnie

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 2/Jul/02 8:00pm

:D (Hope)Disk brakes dude,only way to go,only things more effective at stopping you from speed are the aforementioned trees!! :crazy:  :0  :cry:  :angry:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"

Postby Spacemonkey on Wed 3/Jul/02 4:42pm

Percy Pig wrote::D (Hope)Disk brakes dude,only way to go,only things more effective at stopping you from speed are the aforementioned trees!! :crazy:  :0  :cry:  :angry:

Yes this has my vote .  :thumbsup:
I'd never go back to rim brakes.  :D
Spacemonkey

Postby michael on Wed 3/Jul/02 7:48pm

hey how much do you guys know about cermaic rims?
i was reading some where (cant remember where) that when the cermaic goes all shiny they need to be cleaned, but u know how full of rubish people can be and it was american (hope im not offending anyone :eh:) does teh shiny stuff need to be cleaned off, if it does how do u ?
michael
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Jono on Wed 10/Jul/02 5:04am

Yep - they do go all shiny, but I've found that riding through everything (and thus chipping off bits of ceramic) manages to keep the shiny stuff away for longer :sly:
Anyway, it's not advertised anywhere by mavic, but someone I ride with here asked the mavic people at the redbull 24 hour race. Apparently, they have a "soft stone" pad that you can use to get the glazing off. And after that, you can use normal (not ceramic) pads. Not sure if the NZ distributer will know about it though....
Jono

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts