Miramar Track Project

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Sat 10/Jan/09 10:49am

Happy New Year Everyone,

There's a new track building project going on out in the Eastern Suburbs of Welly Town. With permission and assistance from the good people at Wellington City Council Parks & Gardens (we've had Ranger Stu and his hand-saw of doom out already) local Miramar trouble makers grant, xcmph (mike) and myself have started to restore an old track in the Maupuia Reserve that dates back to when the area was a farm. Thanks too to iodi for his GPSing last year that we used to help document the proposal to WCC.

Our goal is to create a recreational area for running, walking and of course, mountain biking that could eventually link into a wider track network should other parts of the head-lands be opened up for recreation over time. Within the Reserve itself there is good potential for at least a couple of great descents along with connecting tracks and the climb itself.

So we're working the climb first, it is going to be an above average gut buster for now and starts from the end of Darlington Road and climbs to Nevay Road just above the bus shelter. Part of the reason that the gradient is a little steep in places is that we don't have a mandate is to cut a lot of new track in that particular area of the reserve but rather we are restoring what is / was already there. So we will open that up first and then see what areas might need some improvement.

And while we've got a couple of phases proposed to WCC all we have agreement on so far is the climbing track to Nevay, with agreement in principle that more can follow should things go well.

After the climb is in place (it will be up / down for a while) what is really needed is to extend the climb closer to the top and then put in a sidle track on the edge of the Reserve around to the Prison Road gate and then new track down from there...but that's going to be longer term and require more negotiation. We've lined up fellow Miramar dweller Slackboy to help design the down section when we get to that point (sometime later in the year we hope). The climbing track we are building currently will be dual use, TBD whether that will have to be the case on the descent ;)

If you live out this way, or even if you don't, and you're interested in helping out, we are going to create a email list to keep people informed so drop me an email.... ben.r.wilde [at] gmail.com. The plan is to run one or two work parties at some suitable time within the next couple of months. We'll also try to keep this thread up to date with progress.

One last thing, come check it out some time but please no track building without talking to Grant, xcmph (Mike H) or myself. Also, the track isn't currently rideable as two massive pines are blocking a key section and we need to plot a line through some rocky sections near the bottom...but with luck the WCC tree-team will be in there within a month or two to assess what can be done about the pines (and whether we need to be building some track around them or not) and we will have the rest of the track marked out and rideable before then...

ciao

ben
Last edited by benw on Sun 16/Aug/09 5:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Re: Miramar Track Project

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Sun 11/Jan/09 8:42am

hey cool to see atrack going :thumbsup:

for what its worth i done a whole heap of work up on the the track by the jail.
used to be my tec singletrack DH training track some years ago.

i could be keen to be part of this if i can find some time outside my other digging commitments.
Mike_the_Hippy
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby Grant on Sun 11/Jan/09 11:41am

Cheers Mike,

We are making some good progress on this first track, and hope that we can push on and open up some more of these unused trails. The more the merrier :)

I might try and sneak out this arvo and take some pics to give you all a better idea on our progress...
Last edited by Grant on Fri 23/Jan/09 1:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby one_uknw on Sun 11/Jan/09 12:02pm

Fricken sweet. Nice work!
one_uknw
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Grant on Sun 11/Jan/09 4:45pm

A few pictures of the track so far...

These are taken in order from about midway up towards the top (we haven't done too much on the bottom third yet)

Hard to photograph but you may be able to make out the substantial amount that was excavated years ago when these tracks were built. (Pictures 3 & 5)

G.
MP_00.jpg
MP_01.jpg
MP_02.jpg
MP_03.jpg
MP_04.jpg
Fallen trees that need some WCC attention
MP_05.jpg
MP_06.jpg
View from the top...
Last edited by Grant on Sun 11/Jan/09 8:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant

Postby wachtourak on Sun 11/Jan/09 4:52pm

Needs more rooty bits that I can take a shitty line down and crash on
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby Grant on Sun 11/Jan/09 5:05pm

wachtourak wrote:Needs more rooty bits that I can take a shitty line down and crash on

....noted
Grant

Postby benw on Sun 11/Jan/09 5:35pm

Here's a photo that Grant sourced that shows the area (circa 1938). You can see some of the existing tracks on there (most are over grown but there is a fair bit of benching in there, some of which will be useful).

miramar 1938.jpg
benw
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Oli on Sun 11/Jan/09 7:31pm

This looks wicked, boys! Me, Ket and Harry are keen to do some digging - any talk of a loose trail building schedule, or too soon for that?
Oli
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Grant on Sun 11/Jan/09 7:59pm

Oli wrote:This looks wicked, boys! Me, Ket and Harry are keen to do some digging - any talk of a loose trail building schedule, or too soon for that?

Hi Oli :)

Till now it has been a case of whenever we're allowed out, and is usually only an hour or two in the evenings, once the kids are strapped in bed :paranoid:

So if an evening suits better than a weekend, let us now and I'll make time to join you.

Alternatively we'll pick a couple of dates that don't clash with our M(akara)PS schedule and get the chain gang going...
Grant

Postby Oli on Sun 11/Jan/09 8:04pm

Cheers, Grant! Will keep in touch with you and Big Ben then for some dirty action... ;)
Oli
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Stickman on Mon 12/Jan/09 10:54am

Hi Guys,

I live localy in Miramar and would be keen to help out, anytime after works suites as im only about 2mins away.

Cheers,
Jared
Stickman
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby benw on Mon 12/Jan/09 11:11am

Stickman wrote:Hi Guys,

I live localy in Miramar and would be keen to help out, anytime after works suites as im only about 2mins away.

Cheers,
Jared

Cheers Jared, Grant is talking about a working bee on the weekend of the 24th / 25th (weekend after next and on the 'alternate' weekend from the Makara Peak work parties to avoid accusations of mutiny :) ). Also, if you flick me your email address we'll also ping you when someone is planning to head up during an week day evening...
benw
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Stickman on Mon 12/Jan/09 12:01pm

Cheers Ben,

I wont be available oin the weekend of 24/25 as i will be away but other than that im available. my email is stickman2480@hotmail.com or jared.price@iag.co.nz
Stickman
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby huxster on Mon 12/Jan/09 1:49pm

Great to hear some work happening on this side of the airport. I'd be keen to help turn some dirt to the berm. (When small child duty allows)

nige'at'huxster.com
huxster
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Building | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts