Re: Miramar Track Project

Postby Grant on Thu 12/Feb/09 10:12pm

OK, the next piece of work that needs attention is the entrance from Nevay Rd.

We're thinking that a couple of evening sessions will do the trick and then possibly a weekend work party a little later on (this would most likely be a combination of fine tuning the current track and/or progressing with stage 2 if aproved by then)

So Monday 16th @ 6pm... with Tuesday as a back up in case the weather is naff.

The plan is to open up the top of the track to give the WCC tree team good access down to the area where the trees are covering the track. Thanks to Machuca's good work ;) that section is in primed and ready for some chainsaw action! Fingers crossed it gets done soon.

Will email (and post here) with a few more details over the next day or so.
Grant
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby SteveWallace on Fri 13/Feb/09 10:00am

Sounds gut, will try to make it :thumbsup:
SteveWallace
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby benw on Fri 13/Feb/09 7:42pm

I'll be there as well with the lads. It will be best if you can BYO tools although we have a couple of spares. Yeah thanks Machuca for all the clearing, Stu was going to see if he could put a reminder into the Tree Team today...will follow up again with council next week.
benw
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Grant on Mon 16/Feb/09 8:37am

The forecast looks less than ideal with rain expected this afternoon...

So tonight's work party is postponed till tomorrow :) (Tuesday 6pm)
Grant

Postby Grant on Tue 17/Feb/09 8:23am

Bump

Work party tonight - 6pm Bring a friend!

"x" marks the spot
Meeting-Point-Tues.jpg
Grant

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Tue 17/Feb/09 10:49am

Im possibly going to have some time on sunday arvo , if you point me in the right direction i'll chip away a bit more.
Mike_the_Hippy
Member for: 17 years 1 month

Postby Colin on Tue 17/Feb/09 12:23pm

I planning on pedalling over after work, as long as no-one hijacks my afternoon.
Colin
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby Grant on Tue 17/Feb/09 1:25pm

Mike_the_Hippy wrote:Im possibly going to have some time on sunday arvo , if you point me in the right direction i'll chip away a bit more.

Cheers Mike,
Will let you know how far we get tonight and what's next on the to-do list, I haven't had a chance to get up there for a week or so, and expect that some areas will be showing the effects of the recent weather we've had. Might be a good chance to identify and improve any weak spots.

Colin wrote:I planning on pedalling over after work, as long as no-one hijacks my afternoon.

Great stuff Colin, hopefully see you there.
Grant

Postby benw on Thu 19/Feb/09 9:31pm

Thanks everyone who was able to make it along on Monday night for a quick bit of work on the top of the track. Sorry again for the last minute notice which meant that more of you couldn't make it. We'll do better on the next one!

Thanks to the efforts of Bron, Colin, Guy, Ricky, Mike, Grant and Ben along with additional 'little helpers' from Ben & Grant we managed to get the entrance sorted out from Nevay Road down onto the track.

Plenty of people stopped by and said hi too, reaction to the project is overwhelmingly positive thus far which is great.

Still more tweaking to do on the track (if anyone is keen the switch backs about 1/3 of the way up some more tweaking, the tools are right near there...although a pick axe would be recommended) and plenty of broken glass that needs to be removed from the top section that drops in from Nevay Road. But aside from all that, once the WCC tree team are able to get in it will be possible to ride from Darlington Road up to Nevay and back down again.

Next 'major' piece of work is likely to be the two stream crossings that we need to sort out.

Some photos from the dig, cracker evening it was and as per all the MTP work parties to date (two from two) there was beer.

View from the top of the track.JPG

Entrance - work in progress.JPG

There be hobbits in there.JPG

And when they got bored with 'helping' with the track building my boys went on a tour of the local correctional facilities.

The Wall.JPG
benw

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Fri 20/Feb/09 1:01pm

If you need water there is a tap connected to the wooden building at the south end of that wall in the picture above (assuming that wall is facing the nevay road side).

i ranout last time i was there and it took me a bit longer than expected to find a tap :)
Mike_the_Hippy

Postby benw on Thu 26/Feb/09 10:52am

Congrats to Grant, and a big thanks to Ground Effect and their Slush Fund. Grant has secured the Miramar Track Project some funding for tools, we've got a fire rake and some grubbers on the way and will get ourselves a fancy saw. We'll still need to beg and borrow for bigger work parties but for after hours / after work sessions we should be sorted.

Cheers Ground Effect and thanks for putting together the proposal Grant.

PS I am off into the Park today with Dave Halliday from Parks and Gardens to survey where Gravel might be in order on the lower sections :)
benw

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Thu 26/Feb/09 4:05pm

i went up last sunday expecting to carry on with some tree sawing but it seems stage2 hadnt started so i figured id better leave it.

Gathered abunch of rocks to aid in the river crossing but i think it really needs the trolly to be taken away/picked out first.
Also there are some railway tracks in the river that could make grouse bearers for a bridge if someone can get in there with a grinder to cut them down to size.

At some stage if someone can mark the direction the track goes with tape then i can get in there without guidance.

also at some point it was mentioned opening up existing trails only ,is there any chance of a margin of error of say 3-4m where the existing trail could be concidered too steep and unsustainable?
Mike_the_Hippy

Postby Grant on Thu 26/Feb/09 5:18pm

Hi Mike,

Yep stage 2 is imminent, but we need to mark out and walk the proposed route with WCC beforehand and get the OK. In principle deviations around unsustainable sections should not be a problem (as we did with the cabbage tree in stage 1).

Should see a bit more progress on all this post Karapoti (next weekend)...been busy learning to ride up hills :(
Grant

Postby iodi on Thu 26/Feb/09 5:21pm

How are things progressing in terms of the fallen trees?
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby benw on Fri 27/Feb/09 9:41am

Grant wrote:Hi Mike,

Yep stage 2 is imminent, but we need to mark out and walk the proposed route with WCC beforehand and get the OK. In principle deviations around unsustainable sections should not be a problem (as we did with the cabbage tree in stage 1).

Should see a bit more progress on all this post Karapoti (next weekend)...been busy learning to ride up hills :(

Agree on the deviations, if you want to meet up sometime Mike just ping me on my cell 021 845 991 and I can pop down / over. But it is small and doesn't involve taking out too much veg then just give us a description ahead of time and then use your judgment...we trust your design skills more than our own.

I am going to be meeting Dave H in there next week to review the gravel requirements (got my Thursdays mixed up :huh: ) and I will also talk him through the idea of putting some switch backs to replace the first steep straight climb up from the bottom. Now that I have been reminded about it I will also re-walk the top route with Dave to talk about that with him.

Ian - the trees are scheduled to be removed in the next 4-5 weeks. Feel free to GPS the track anytime you like but mind those sharp branches, I'd hate you to poke out an eye this time...

Finally, I have also put in our order for new trees for planting this winter (provided by WCC). Have asked for the full 500 plants, although not sure if we will get them all. Some will be for entrances, some for putting through the bush. Our experience at Makara Peak has been that it is a great way to get broader community involvement and support (i.e. fewer complaints) and it makes the whole experience a whole lot better, although in the case of Miramar there is already a lot of established Bush...and so the focus is on sprinkling in Climax species like Rimu, Totara etc. which are almost non-existent in the Reserve.

So pencil in June 21st as a Planting Day with June 28th as a back up / spill over day. Will likely try to get some 'volunteer' labor from Miramar North School to assist with getting some of the plants into the ground around the lower entrance(s).

ben
benw

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Building | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts