Re: Miramar Track Project

Postby Grant on Fri 23/Jan/09 2:14pm

cam wrote:That's great news!

This was a great little track to ride before the tress cut it in half. I'd be keen to help restore it to it's former glory.

Cheers Cam,

It would be great to have some people involved with knowledge of what these trails were like ;)
Grant
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby ahinui on Sat 24/Jan/09 12:35pm

Never done any track work, but keen to help out tomorrow. I'll be trying to head up middayish with huxster in tow.
ahinui
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby benw on Sat 24/Jan/09 2:23pm

ahinui wrote:Never done any track work, but keen to help out tomorrow. I'll be trying to head up middayish with huxster in tow.

Great, look forward to meeting you both tomorrow. We've got a special hat that first time trackies need to wear but don't let that put you off, it's quite flattering.
benw
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby benw on Sun 25/Jan/09 3:30pm

Great turn out today, thanks to everyone who made it along. We got a stunning amount of track cleared and cut including a couple of switch-backs we added per Slacky's suggestion. I didn't measure it myself but will get some distance facts and figures up before too long. We certainly did several hundred meters of track at least.

Thanks to Steven, Grant & his nephew Jacob, Mike H, Ed & Al Crossling, Kevin, Guy & Hew, John, Steve, Wim & Antony, Ben + Brynn & Owen & Sasha, Slacky, Ahinui, Huxter and Mike the Hippy who joined for the late shift and is still out there finishing some benching as I type this. Sorry if I missed someone!

Special mention of the top effort from Steven Peter's, WCC head-ranger, who used his hand-saw tirelessly.

Thanks too to Liz for baking the scones and to Pauline, Bronya, Alex and every other partner who got food / beer or held down the fort at home.

We'll do it again soon, possibly in another month, and perhaps a smaller affair mid-week in Feb to clear the entry at the top (onto Nevay) to make it easier for the WCC Tree Team to get in there and deal with the fallen pines,

ben
Last edited by benw on Tue 27/Jan/09 5:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
benw

Postby Oli on Sun 25/Jan/09 10:29pm

Good stuff, folks! Thanks heaps for your labours. :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Grant on Sun 25/Jan/09 11:36pm

Great Day, Thanks to all those who made it over.

I managed to sneak out and have a test ride this evening :love:
Grant

Postby alanmc on Mon 26/Jan/09 9:41am

Just been alerted to this thread ..

This is great news - I'm on Miramar Nth Road so this is a real find ... Will keep my eyes and ears open for new round of work and pop along. Let us know if any tools or post work beverages are required since I'm close I may be able to help provide.

Cheers,
Alan
alanmc
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Mon 26/Jan/09 10:09am

yea good day for it , i got that corner done and removed the root prior,
also did a couple runs of what was done so far and checked out some of the lines further up.
Thats definatly one nasty ass tree that need to be removed further up:0
Mike_the_Hippy
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby benw on Mon 26/Jan/09 10:44am

alanmc wrote:Just been alerted to this thread ..

This is great news - I'm on Miramar Nth Road so this is a real find ... Will keep my eyes and ears open for new round of work and pop along. Let us know if any tools or post work beverages are required since I'm close I may be able to help provide.

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks Alan, we hope to do another one in a month or so but we need to work it around Karapoti...if you send me an email at ben dot r dot wilde at gmail dot com then I'll add you to the email list. We'll likely do an evening work party sometime in the next few weeks to open up the entrance on Nevay Road so that WCC tree team can get in to remove the fallen pines.

In the meantime, wander over and have a look at what has been done so far, if you follow your nose pretty much straight in at the entrance at the grass area at the end of Darlington you'll pick up the trail.
benw

Postby benw on Mon 26/Jan/09 10:47am

Mike_the_Hippy wrote:yea good day for it , i got that corner done and removed the root prior,
also did a couple runs of what was done so far and checked out some of the lines further up.
Thats definitely one nasty ass tree that need to be removed further up:0

Thanks Mike - that stump would have broken my soul and back so late in the day. Those big ass trees (there is two of them!) are quite something are they not, I am hoping the WCC tree team doesn't turn tail and run when they visit this week.
benw

Postby sifter on Mon 26/Jan/09 11:16am

benw wrote:
Mike_the_Hippy wrote:yea good day for it , i got that corner done and removed the root prior,
Thats definitely one nasty ass tree that need to be removed further up:0

Thanks Mike - that stump would have broken my soul and back so late in the day. Those big ass trees (there is two of them!) are quite something are they not, I am hoping the WCC tree team doesn't turn tail and run when they visit this week.

North shore skinnies anyone?!
sifter
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Mike_the_Hippy on Mon 26/Jan/09 12:03pm

i carried my bike up and over each way and the holes left behind from the root ball would make a nice extra large staircase effect in the darlington road direction if you need to build around them.
a ladder thingy could work but i couldnt help but wonder if the council would make you install handrails.

I also noticed the turnoff going up the the track i used to use has been opened up ,is there any plans to open that up to the top? or were you aiming to join it to the higher horozontial track to the watertanks?
Mike_the_Hippy
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby Grant on Mon 26/Jan/09 12:29pm

Mike_the_Hippy wrote:
I also noticed the turnoff going up the the track i used to use has been opened up ,is there any plans to open that up to the top? or were you aiming to join it to the higher horozontial track to the watertanks?

Assuming we are talking about the same spot...

That section is intended to take you up the ridge where you get a good view out and over the reserve and off towards the coast. In initial talks with WCC it had been considered a trail to a lookout point but not continuing further. However the track clearly continues past that point and no doubt transforms quickly into 'techy' switchback goodness.
I'm not sure what their (WCC) position is with respect to opening up the old ridgeline trail. (it looks like a goodie though :) )
Grant

Postby benw on Mon 26/Jan/09 1:56pm

Grant wrote:
Mike_the_Hippy wrote:
I also noticed the turnoff going up the the track i used to use has been opened up ,is there any plans to open that up to the top? or were you aiming to join it to the higher horizontal track to the water tanks?

Assuming we are talking about the same spot...

That section is intended to take you up the ridge where you get a good view out and over the reserve and off towards the coast. In initial talks with WCC it had been considered a trail to a lookout point but not continuing further. However the track clearly continues past that point and no doubt transforms quickly into 'techy' switchback goodness.
I'm not sure what their (WCC) position is with respect to opening up the old ridgeline trail. (it looks like a goodie though :) )

Dave Halliday (The Boss) wants us to open it up only as a look-out at this point. Even for that it needs some more work to make it ride able (up).

In terms of linking to the top from there (as a down primarily)...there are several really big trees down at the top of that ridge where the old Hippy Line used to be - haven't gone through there yet to see if there is a path that could be cleared with a handsaw or small chain saw. I did think that it would add a nice little loop if you could climb up the main track to the summit, sidle around to the ridge, drop down to the look out using the old Hippy Line and then back down onto the main track via the bit we have cleared that Mike is talking about (rather than taking it off the front of the ridge as it used to, although that could be added later).
benw

Postby benw on Mon 26/Jan/09 2:06pm

For what it is worth, here are the proposed tracks as they stand at the moment. This is still being discussed but we hope to get it included in the MoU that we are putting together with WCC (I've sent my changes back). If it gets approved then the goal is to get the Green (with the look-out connector in Blue) done as Phase 1.

Then after we have finished off the Green the next step would be to negotiate the design and sign off for the Yellow sidle track and then something along the lines of the Red as the descent track (very approximate positioning!). The Brown circles show areas where we need to (or have) built single track to connect existing benching.

We'll also likely require some single track around where you see the number '6022' is in the image as the existing track there is too straight and steep, and could be more fun and more sustainable if we put some switch backs in. But first things first, the focus for now is on opening it up and removing as few plants as possible to do that. I'd like to put in some kids tracks at the bottom too as I think there is room for that (using some of the green track and then doubling back and putting some switch backs in ala the new tracks at Karori Park.

All this leaves more options to the West still - another whole valley although shorter and steeper (from directly below the water towers) and also part of the "Hippy Line" (ridge line descent from the sidle track down to the Blue track). That line used to continue straight down from there which is probably not going to fly with the WCC (considering as Mike has mentioned it is more like snowboarding when it is wet than riding).

It isn't going to be huge, but it should be fun :-)
MaupuiaReserveProposedTracks.jpg
benw

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Trail Building | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts