12%
Yes, we need to create jobs/income in those areas
9%
I'm still waiting for all the facts before making a decision
22%

Total voters : 74

Re: Mining Conservation Land

Postby Oli on Tue 20/Jul/10 7:36pm

We're talking about the picture above that one. ;)
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby albeer on Tue 20/Jul/10 8:38pm

Food for thought is your bike made of ali,is that wedding ring on your finger made of gold,your flash golf club made of titanium, I spent 5 years in oz working in the mines got in to a lot of heated debates over it. You will never please everyone
albeer
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby mudguard on Tue 20/Jul/10 8:53pm

My driver has titanium and carbon! But it's the only one :(
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby bubbaa on Tue 20/Jul/10 9:55pm

albeer wrote:Food for thought is your bike made of ali,is that wedding ring on your finger made of gold,your flash golf club made of titanium, I spent 5 years in oz working in the mines got in to a lot of heated debates over it. You will never please everyone

Respectfully - that's not really food for thought.

the debate is not about the validity of extracting via mining, but about where it is appropriate and about the true intentions of the Nat Government in proposing mining/exploration in schedule four lands, which in my opinion is a classic straw man tactic to try to ease the way for exploration in less controversial areas of the country.
As a green party rep said - 'we are no better off than we were a year ago' (approximately).
In my opinion we are worse off because many people have fallen for the straw man :(

Just sayin :butbut:
bubbaa
"bite me"
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 21/Jul/10 9:13am

Oli wrote:We're talking about the picture above that one. ;)

d'oh! :blink:
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Derryn Hinch on Wed 21/Jul/10 10:35am

bubbaa wrote:
albeer wrote:Food for thought is your bike made of ali,is that wedding ring on your finger made of gold,your flash golf club made of titanium, I spent 5 years in oz working in the mines got in to a lot of heated debates over it. You will never please everyone

Respectfully - that's not really food for thought.

the debate is not about the validity of extracting via mining, but about where it is appropriate and about the true intentions of the Nat Government in proposing mining/exploration in schedule four lands, which in my opinion is a classic straw man tactic to try to ease the way for exploration in less controversial areas of the country.
As a green party rep said - 'we are no better off than we were a year ago' (approximately).
In my opinion we are worse off because many people have fallen for the straw man :(

Just sayin :butbut:

True, but unfortunately there is a lot of overlap between the DOC estate and those rocks most likely to contain mineable deposits; hence the debate.

It's all very well to say that mining is permissible in other areas, but if there is nothing to mine in the other areas then that is a rather pointless statement.

The mining photos look ugly because mining generally is ugly. But you need to bear in mind that mining produces 1000's of times more economic activity than comparable rural activities. In other words, a 2km2 mine and 1998km2 of undisturbed land have the same economic benefit to the economy as about 2000km2 of farmland. Or alternatively, consider a 2km2 mine that produces large amounts of money for say 10 years (most of Otago's infrastructure was paid for by gold) and is then allowed to revert to a natural state such that after 100 years it is in a near natural state. Remember that most of the southern Coromandel peninsular was mined 100 years ago with tailings disposed directly into rivers and no rehabilitation, and yet this land is now of sufficiently high conservation value to be in schedule 4 land!

All that was proposed was to allow exploration / mining projects in the areas. Any such proposed project would still have to go through the RMA and other permitting processes.

If you don't like mining the best things you can do are reduce your consumption of metals and recycle as much as possible.
Derryn Hinch
User avatarMedal
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Environment | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts