Calendar Event: October 26, 2014

Milk And Honey Race 2014

Postby tanadog on Wed 25/Jun/14 2:13pm

Hi folks, the Golden Bays Mountain Bike Club's NBS Milk and Honey Race is on again for 2014.

For those yet to enjoy this epic event, you've got to ride up the Takaka Hill by road, and down agin via the Rameka Track. All the action takes place on Labour Weekend, Sunday 26 October 2014.

Watch the movie, enter and find out more about this iconic event at http://milkandhoneyrace.com/.

A few new treats for this year include;
- fun ride for families/ kids on Saturday (tbc)
- skate/ bmx jam during race day for thos e that like small wheels
AND
- a post race Helibike on the Kill Devil on Labour Day (Monday)...

All good fun, see you there.
tanadog
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Re: Milk And Honey Race 2014

Postby tanadog on Wed 23/Jul/14 8:57pm

The good news is that the helibike on the Kill Devil on Labour Weekend Monday is all on, definitely worth staying over for. If you're keen on this drop us a line through the Milk & Honey website.

Also, hoping local hero of the moment Jack Bauer will be attendance again this year. Last year some lucky rider picked up some of Jack's kit as a spot prize....
tanadog

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 23/Jul/14 9:53pm

heh heh, what's the record time for the full lap???
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby thelivo on Wed 23/Jul/14 10:36pm

swtchbckr wrote:heh heh, what's the record time for the full lap???

About 2 hours faster than I'm gonna manage it I expect.

Edited to add - fastest time I could find in the available results was 2.46.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby mfw on Wed 23/Jul/14 10:48pm

I've done lots of events and never done a repeat, until this one. I raced this the last two years, it's a cracker, great race and very well run by the organisers, highly recommended :thumbsup:
mfw
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 24/Jul/14 9:24am

thelivo wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:heh heh, what's the record time for the full lap???

About 2 hours faster than I'm gonna manage it I expect.

Edited to add - fastest time I could find in the available results was 2.46.

which is about what it usually takes me from Canaan Rd turn off through to Pohara... and they climbed all the way up as well! Legendary.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 30/Jul/14 10:47am

Local trail builder on last nights Highway Cops but not for being a naughty boy. :)
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby tanadog on Thu 7/Aug/14 11:25am

As mentioned above, there's the option of a helicopter ride up to the Kill Devil Track on Monday, the day after the Milk & Honey Race. If you enter the race, there's a spot prize of a free flight....

Entries here at: http://www.milkandhoneyrace.com/enter.htm
tanadog

Re: Milk And Honey Race 2014- Prizes

Postby deezal on Fri 5/Sep/14 9:10pm

Just starting to compile Prize list for this year's race. The usual $100 cash prizes for the Upper Takaka Sprint and the Takaka Hill King of the Mountains are up for grabs. Also some wicked spot prizes including, Cash from Cactus, Ratanui Lodge Accommodation, a Voucher towards a flight (with bikes) with Golden Bay Air, as well as Bike stuff from Coppins, to name but a few.
If you're in to win, you'll have a tough fight on your hands trying to wrestle the awesome 'Iceman' Trophy off Brent Miller who returns this year to defend his title....... :racer:
deezal
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby tanadog on Fri 26/Sep/14 8:57am

Entries are rolling in nicely for the Milk & Honey Race.

Grab a mate, get to Golden Bay (that's top left hand corner of the South Island if yr geographically challenged) and ride two iconic NZ rides - roady up the Takaka Hill, mtb down the Rameka....

next day there is a helibike on the Kill Devil to top it off. Not bad for a Labour Weekend holiday I reckon....
tanadog

Postby tanadog on Fri 17/Oct/14 1:53pm

Ok, last bump before entries close midnight Monday 20 October for the Milk & Honey. Late entries accepted until 22 October, but it will cost you bit more....

Long range weather forecast is looking good, got all sorts entering, including a few celebs. You'll have to turn up to find out who they are, but lets just say they are Golden Bay locals...

Cash prizes, trophies and some good spot prizes and the opportunity to get on a helibike the next day on the Kill Devil has the making of a good weekend....
tanadog

Postby snr_merv on Fri 17/Oct/14 2:09pm

Looking forward to a solo lap on the singlespeed this year. Great event, don't hesitate if you're thinking about it. Epic climb, epic descent!
snr_merv
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby deezal on Fri 17/Oct/14 2:17pm

Good on you snr_merv ! Singlespeed Bob did the race a couple of years ago on hers!
Give me a shout out on the day, I will be roaming around with the Camera.
Awesome turnout this year including winners from last two years, Henry Jaine, and Brent Miller, not to mention Todd Blackadder. ENTRIES AT EARLY BIRD PRICE CLOSE ON MONDAY.
Bring it on.........
deezal

Postby mfw on Fri 17/Oct/14 9:15pm

deezal wrote:Singlespeed Bob did the race a couple of years ago on hers!

Actually she used a fixie roadbike (running 38 / 19) for the road section up Takaka hill and down the first descent the other side, and then transitioned to a singlespeed MTB for the off road. HARDCORE!
She said the hardest bit was the Takaka descent on the fixie :crazy:
mfw
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby deezal on Sat 18/Oct/14 11:57am

Yes, sorry, it was a bit of a generalisation on my part. Are you riding this year Mr MFW?
deezal

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Events | Mountain Biking | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts