Mfw Vs Car, Again :(

Postby mfw on Thu 3/Nov/11 10:37pm

just got back from A&E :(

I was riding home from work tonight (on Lyttleton st, in Chch) in busy traffic, going at a fair lick in the tailwind, and bam, a woman coming the other way decides to swing right through a gap in the traffic and into her driveway.
what she didn't see or misjudged was me in the cycle lane, there was no time to react and I went straight into the side of her car, bounced over the car and hit the deck hard.

amazingly no broken bones this time, some pretty deep gauges on my LHS, especially left hand which tore a vein and started pissing blood like no ones business. bike is bent up pretty bad (luckily the old commuter). ambulance and police came fairly quickly, she didn't do a runner this time (she was turning into her driveway lol) so the insurance should be more straightforward.

off to A&E and a whole bunch of stitches. pretty sore now but it could have been worse. starting to think this commuting is bad for my health :hmmm:
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Re: Mfw Vs Car, Again :(

Postby znomit on Thu 3/Nov/11 10:43pm

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Glad you're not too badly bashed.

Post gory photos of self and bike when able please.
znomit
Member for: 6 years 1 month

Postby Wobbler on Thu 3/Nov/11 10:45pm

:crazy: :angry: not nice

which direction/approx place on lyttleton street?
Wobbler
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby Colin on Thu 3/Nov/11 10:54pm

guts
Colin
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Thu 3/Nov/11 10:55pm

bad luck - hope you heal well and fast.
If you need to borrow a bike PM me

but dont waorry
according to someone or other, cycling is quite safe. you'll only get killed once in a life of commuting . . .. :thumbsup:
great uncle bulgaria
User avatarMedal
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 3 years 8 months

Postby Mat_the_w on Thu 3/Nov/11 10:56pm

Biking past stopped traffic is the single most fun time to be on the bike, unfortunately it is also the most dangerous. Get well soon, and hopefully everyone who see's this can learn a lesson.
Mat_the_w
Member for: 5 years 8 months

Postby slidecontrol on Thu 3/Nov/11 10:59pm

commuting isn't bad for you, cars are.

heal up soon and enjoy the new steed madame knievels insurance will be buying you.
slidecontrol
"I'll never drive a drift car, but at least I'm literate."
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Thu 3/Nov/11 11:23pm

:( :( All the best.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 5 years 9 months

Postby Ahad on Thu 3/Nov/11 11:32pm

Sorry to hear that mfw :( Sounds nasty, but like you say you're lucky it wasn't quite a bit worse. Heal up quick and keep to those hills eh? :thumbsup:
Ahad
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 4/Nov/11 7:49am

I wonder if it’s worth people commuting with bright coloured helmets and helmet mounted lights flashing :ib: Then what’s on their heads will be visable above the cars.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 5 years 9 months

Postby malcs on Fri 4/Nov/11 8:18am

sucks man
malcs
"if you don't puke, you're not trying hard enough"

Postby Klarkash-ton on Fri 4/Nov/11 8:19am

good you're not hurt worse; bad you got hit at all :(

interesting you were in the cycle lane. there shouldn't be the ambiguity about fault there is in similar cases where there is no cycle lane.

hope you heal well
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 5 years 11 months

Postby Slapheid on Fri 4/Nov/11 8:45am

Nightmare Mfw. Get well soon and don't pick the scabs either. :)
Slapheid
Member for: 4 years 4 months

Postby RussS on Fri 4/Nov/11 9:18am

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:I wonder if it’s worth people commuting with bright coloured helmets and helmet mounted lights flashing :ib: Then what’s on their heads will be visable above the cars.

People still cross in front of trains and those things have farking BIG lights on the front .... noise makers too :crazy:
RussS
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby Rik on Fri 4/Nov/11 9:34am

mate, mate, mate! Bummer.

Heal fast.

RussS wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:I wonder if it’s worth people commuting with bright coloured helmets and helmet mounted lights flashing :ib: Then what’s on their heads will be visable above the cars.

People still cross in front of trains and those things have farking BIG lights on the front .... noise makers too :crazy:

If anyones been following that 'how the brain works thingy programme (can't remember its name - shows how well my brains working)' they explain it as the brain will not see a bike because it is not looking for a bike. You could dress up as a pink penguin and most people wouldn't see you, they proved it.
Rik
User avatarMedal
"Yeah, Vintage Baby!"

Canterbury | Christchurch | Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling - Latest Posts