Meggie Bichard & Raewyn Morrison Make Megavalanche Podium

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Tue 14/Jul/15 1:13pm

Kiwi mountainbikers Meg Bichard and Raewyn Morrison raid the podium in 2nd and 3rd at Megavalanche at the Alpe d'huez.

It's literally one of the biggest mountain biking events on the planet and two Nelson ladies not only conquered it, they nearly ended up winning it.

Meggie Bichard and Raewyn Morrison, two of the region's best enduro mountain bike riders, competed in Megavalanche in Alpe d'Huez, an event which sees riders descend through the French Alps from an altitude of 3300 metres.

Bichard finished second behind French rider Cecile Ravanel, while Morrison -- who was competing in the event for the first time -- finished third.

Nelson's Meggie Bichard and Raewyn Morrison finished second and third at the Megavalanche, an event which sees mountain bike riders descend through the French Alps from an altitude of 3300 metres.

Bichard was just 1min 46sec off Ravanel's race winning time of 48min 16.960sec.

She was runner-up last year as well.

The event is contested by more than 2500 riders each year, who descend from the summit of Pic Blanc all the way down to the valley below the village of Allemont, a drop of more than 2000m.

The race covers 32km, most of which is on snow, takes the elite riders just under an hour to complete and is contested by riders from around the world.

Morrison, who was 4min 8sec behind the winner, was stoked with her performance, posting on Facebook that she took a calculated risk in her race run and it paid off.

"I made a risky move at the start to make up for my poor seeding run/starting position and dropped down a small icy cliff to take a wild and rocky line ...it paid off," she posted.

"Hitting over 67km/hr on the snow I lead the field for most of the snow section. Managed to get down with no more broken wheels or punctures. Stoked with my result being my first ‪#‎megavalanche‬ race and first time riding on snow."

Video here :http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/sport/70193557/nelson-riders-meggie-bichard-and-raewyn-morrison-make-megavalanche-podium
1436824236885.jpg
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Meggie Bichard & Raewyn Morrison Make Megavalanche Podium

Postby MadAndrew on Tue 14/Jul/15 7:41pm

Well done Rae!!! Proud Dad! :D
MadAndrew
Member for: 7 years 0 months

Postby MadAndrew on Wed 15/Jul/15 8:21pm

Raewyn's race report: http://www.kram.co.nz/
MadAndrew

Postby mfw on Wed 15/Jul/15 10:11pm

Great writeup :thumbsup:
I just watched the video, the start is insane!
I'm sure the aerial video doesn't do justice to the speeds they're riding :crazy:
mfw
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby MadAndrew on Thu 16/Jul/15 8:18pm

mfw wrote:I'm sure the aerial video doesn't do justice to the speeds they're riding :crazy:

Have a look at this one mfw. The guy led the race down the snow and was well up until something happened to his drive-chain. Still came 28th overall. Fast as! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW2lPrUZp4s
MadAndrew

Postby mfw on Thu 16/Jul/15 9:58pm

MadAndrew wrote:
mfw wrote:I'm sure the aerial video doesn't do justice to the speeds they're riding :crazy:

Have a look at this one mfw. The guy led the race down the snow and was well up until something happened to his drive-chain. Still came 28th overall. Fast as! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW2lPrUZp4s

Wow, having watched the chaos in the main video, the on board video of the fast guys make it look too easy, must have laser sharp reactions and balance!
They're not running snow tyres either by the look of it :crazy:
mfw
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Cycling | News - Latest Posts