Mavic Slr

Postby danh. on Mon 16/Feb/15 10:51pm

Hi all.

I upgraded the wheels on my 29er xc bike to Mavic SlRs recently.

They are stiff and light and look cool.

I am running them tubeless with TR Icons on them.

However, as I'm getting fitter and riding more aggressively through corners I am finding that the front tire is coming off the rim. I've had it happen 3 times in two months. I tried a different tire (an ardent race) and running the pressure a bit higher (50psi) but that came off too, and besides, I thought one of the big advantages of tubeless is being able to run a lower tire pressure!

Has anyone else had issues with tires coming off Mavic rims under hard cornering?
I'm wondering if I need to buy a wheel with a wider rim??
Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks, Dan.
danh.
Member for: 2 years 9 months

Re: Mavic Slr

Postby dwgknz on Mon 16/Feb/15 11:55pm

Crossmax slrs? Are the rims TR or UST? If the rims are UST then maybe the bead on the TRs aren't locking in properly. Just a guess.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby wachtourak on Tue 17/Feb/15 6:32am

All the high end tubeless Mavic rims are UST.

When I had Mavic rims I never ran UST tyres on them, at one point I used normal folding bead Maxxis, then I switched to TR Schwalbe, and found I had less/no burping with the TR Schwalbes. I never ran anything even close to those sort of pressures (mid-high 20's I guess). My rims were 823's though, so a fair bit wider than the Crossmax SLR's.

Supposedly UST and TR is a bit of a no-no because of the different bead shape or something though? I know Astoria Paranoia rolled a tyre or two off his Mavic 819's back when he was running them. Again, narrower rim...
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Slim on Tue 17/Feb/15 6:48am

I ran a bunch of different maxxis rubber (mostly non ust folding) on some crossmax on my old bike, never over 35psi, never had a problem.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 17/Feb/15 6:51am

wachtourak wrote:I know Astoria Paranoia rolled a tyre or two off his Mavic 819's back when he was running them. Again, narrower rim...

Yeah that wasn't all too fun but at least it was the rear.
Can't bring back whips :blush:
27psi fixed it.
Ran regular EXO Ardents.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby danh. on Wed 18/Feb/15 7:33am

Thanks for your replies.
danh.
Member for: 2 years 9 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Tyres | Wheels - Latest Posts