Maungatapu Saddle To Dun Mountain?

Postby sifter on Tue 13/Dec/11 8:56am

Howdy!

Next Thursday I'm heading from Canvastown to Nelson, and am wondering if I can get across from the Maungatapu Saddle to Dun Mountain. An old topo map shows a tramping track (at least) along the ridge. Has anyone been through there recently? Worth doing?

Chur :)
sifter
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Re: Maungatapu Saddle To Dun Mountain?

Postby onyabike on Tue 13/Dec/11 9:13am

Push your bike from top of Maungatapu over to top of Little Twin (up to top Dun mountain if you are really really keen). Then come back down and out via Rush Pool to the Maitai Dam. Technical Nelson riding at it's best. Especially back down off Little Twin. Well all of it really.
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Owen on Tue 13/Dec/11 9:45am

Went through there loads as a kid, quite a rugged track with a fair amount of pushing and so forth required. I am told by my father who walked through a couple of months back that it is quite overgrown but still navigable. I second Onyabike's suggestion, awesome ride down from Rush Pool :)
Owen
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby sifter on Tue 13/Dec/11 12:11pm

Owen wrote:Went through there loads as a kid, quite a rugged track with a fair amount of pushing and so forth required. I am told by my father who walked through a couple of months back that it is quite overgrown but still navigable. I second Onyabike's suggestion, awesome ride down from Rush Pool :)

Cheers fellas.

Anyone have any idea what sort of time it might take?
sifter
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby richardg on Tue 13/Dec/11 12:21pm

I rode / pushed through there a few years ago, before the windstorm I think, it was pretty long slow and ackward. I guess we rode the opposite way about 10 years ago and it wasn't so good then either, but I'd rather walk singletrack than ride the road, and down the maungatapu is a road, so I'd have another go. Once you get to Dew lakes it is mint down to the dam.
richardg
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Trail on Tue 13/Dec/11 6:08pm

I have ridden up the Maungatapu from Nelson side over past dew lakes and down past rush pools. Was 3 or 4 years ago and from memory the round trip took about 3 hours (starting and finishing at Maitai dam) so from the other side it might be something similar?? Quite a technical downhill up near the top, gets faster and more flowy as you get further down.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby j2hyde on Tue 13/Dec/11 7:46pm

It's a fantastic piece of track, and is well worth the bit of pushing you will have to do. But unless you have Sam Hill-like levels of technical ability I'd recommend avoiding it if it's wet.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Tramping - Latest Posts