Re: Marzocchi Is Shutting Up Shop

Postby Dougal on Fri 24/Jul/15 10:10am

Chickenman wrote:
NickCW wrote:
Back then was putting in a steerer tube a DIY ball peen situation?!

Would like to buy but I forsee the crown interface interfacing with my face


Nah they're a true triple clamp. IE the steerer and both stancions have pinch bolt clamps.


Back before everyone realised that split clamps had truely woeful torsional stiffness!

Was the DH3 a 1994 model year? It was just before the first Z1.
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Marzocchi Is Shutting Up Shop

Postby Scotty on Fri 24/Jul/15 10:19am

Wow. They could have worded that initial release a bit better couldn't they?
Capture.JPG
Scotty
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Re: Marzocchi Is Shutting Up Shop

Postby Dougal on Fri 24/Jul/15 10:35am

Scotty wrote:Wow. They could have worded that initial release a bit better couldn't they?


Yeah this is a real mess, I'm guessing they'll save some redunancy payouts by sacking some people over this.

Tenneco is a publicly listed company. Throwing out confusing and contradictory statements like this, with a disclaimer that they're not official, can have consequences.
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Marzocchi Is Shutting Up Shop

Postby phunk on Fri 24/Jul/15 10:39am

Velocipedestrian wrote:
Trail wrote:I have a couple of pairs of 55 Ti RC3s... Stancions on one on the way out... but at least one pair of good forks there.


If you decide to turn your two iffys into one functional fork, I'd be interested in the spare spring assembly - assuming I can retrofit it to my 55cr for some coil plushness.


I have a pair of 55's that you are welcome to experiment with.
phunk
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Re: Marzocchi Is Shutting Up Shop

Postby dwgknz on Fri 24/Jul/15 11:17am

Scotty wrote:Wow. They could have worded that initial release a bit better couldn't they?


Windwave are the UK distribution agent, they're possibly painting things in a light that allows them to shift the rest of their stock. Where's the Wide Open view.....??

Tenneco are the owners, I'm inclined to take their word until an alternative buyer can be found. There are lots of secondhand accounts of various bits of info if you Czech out the pinkboard comments. I was only there for the puns but saw heaps of different views.
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 5 years 9 months

Re: Marzocchi Is Shutting Up Shop

Postby Chickenman on Fri 24/Jul/15 11:19am

Dougal wrote:
Chickenman wrote:
NickCW wrote:
Back then was putting in a steerer tube a DIY ball peen situation?!

Would like to buy but I forsee the crown interface interfacing with my face


Nah they're a true triple clamp. IE the steerer and both stancions have pinch bolt clamps.


Back before everyone realised that split clamps had truely woeful torsional stiffness!

Was the DH3 a 1994 model year? It was just before the first Z1.


The truth was though, the split clamps wasn't the major reason for torsional stiffness, the spindly legs put paid to that! My old XC 400's flexed like a wet noodle.

My memory is fuzzy at best, but I think they were a '95 model designed to compete with Judy, there was the XC 600 for a lightweight XC fork, and the DH3 for DH with 3" of travel. Then in '96, the first steel stancioned Z1 was released at 4" with completely changed what we wanted/expected in a suspension fork.

edit.

Although, Rik could give us the casting marks off the lower legs to confirm.

Dougal wrote:
Scotty wrote:Wow. They could have worded that initial release a bit better couldn't they?


Yeah this is a real mess, I'm guessing they'll save some redunancy payouts by sacking some people over this.

Tenneco is a publicly listed company. Throwing out confusing and contradictory statements like this, with a disclaimer that they're not official, can have consequences.


Yeah, pretty much this. With Marzocchi being in the trouble they have been in, this really doesn't instil confidence.
Chickenman
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Re: Marzocchi Is Shutting Up Shop

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 24/Jul/15 11:32am

phunk wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:
Trail wrote:I have a couple of pairs of 55 Ti RC3s... Stancions on one on the way out... but at least one pair of good forks there.


If you decide to turn your two iffys into one functional fork, I'd be interested in the spare spring assembly - assuming I can retrofit it to my 55cr for some coil plushness.


I have a pair of 55's that you are welcome to experiment with.


Keen, I do love me some coil forkness. Coil 55s? Or a spare / dead CR?
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Marzocchi Is Shutting Up Shop

Postby Scotty on Fri 24/Jul/15 11:37am

Chickenman wrote:My memory is fuzzy at best, but I think they were a '95 model designed to compete with Judy, there was the XC 600 for a lightweight XC fork, and the DH3 for DH with 3" of travel. Then in '96, the first steel stancioned Z1 was released at 4" with completely changed what we wanted/expected in a suspension fork.

Correct.

Judy's were insanely expensive at the time, but I always wanted the DH's. :love:
Scotty
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Re: Marzocchi Is Shutting Up Shop

Postby Chickenman on Fri 24/Jul/15 11:43am

Scotty wrote:
Chickenman wrote:My memory is fuzzy at best, but I think they were a '95 model designed to compete with Judy, there was the XC 600 for a lightweight XC fork, and the DH3 for DH with 3" of travel. Then in '96, the first steel stancioned Z1 was released at 4" with completely changed what we wanted/expected in a suspension fork.

Correct.

Judy's were insanely expensive at the time, but I always wanted the DH's. :love:


I had the original Judy DH 75mm fork with the plastic cartridge. It was awesome.









At blowing the cartridge apart.
Chickenman
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Re: Marzocchi Is Shutting Up Shop (...or Maybe Not)

Postby Scotty on Fri 24/Jul/15 11:46am

I has the Mountain Speed springs in mine after doing a snow race...
Scotty
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Re: Marzocchi Is Shutting Up Shop

Postby Dougal on Fri 24/Jul/15 11:54am

Scotty wrote:
Chickenman wrote:My memory is fuzzy at best, but I think they were a '95 model designed to compete with Judy, there was the XC 600 for a lightweight XC fork, and the DH3 for DH with 3" of travel. Then in '96, the first steel stancioned Z1 was released at 4" with completely changed what we wanted/expected in a suspension fork.

Correct.

Judy's were insanely expensive at the time, but I always wanted the DH's. :love:


Chickenman wrote:I had the original Judy DH 75mm fork with the plastic cartridge. It was awesome.

At blowing the cartridge apart.


Place your bids Gentlemen. I have a 97 Era Judy DH dual cartridge here which is for sale. :sneaky:

I instead have 95 Manitou EFC's in excellent condition, with aftermarket coil springs and recently rebuilt. I bought mine out of Germany. Just can't decide which bike to put them on.

First world problems!
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Marzocchi Is Shutting Up Shop

Postby Chickenman on Fri 24/Jul/15 12:05pm

Dougal wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Chickenman wrote:My memory is fuzzy at best, but I think they were a '95 model designed to compete with Judy, there was the XC 600 for a lightweight XC fork, and the DH3 for DH with 3" of travel. Then in '96, the first steel stancioned Z1 was released at 4" with completely changed what we wanted/expected in a suspension fork.

Correct.

Judy's were insanely expensive at the time, but I always wanted the DH's. :love:


Chickenman wrote:I had the original Judy DH 75mm fork with the plastic cartridge. It was awesome.

At blowing the cartridge apart.


Place your bids Gentlemen. I have a 97 Era Judy DH dual cartridge here which is for sale. :sneaky:

I instead have 95 Manitou EFC's in excellent condition, with aftermarket coil springs and recently rebuilt. I bought mine out of Germany. Just can't decide which bike to put them on.

First world problems!


Hmm. I might have to sign in on my computer and have a bit of a search. I can feel the makings of a thread.
Chickenman
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Re: Marzocchi Is Shutting Up Shop

Postby phunk on Fri 24/Jul/15 12:12pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
phunk wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:
Trail wrote:I have a couple of pairs of 55 Ti RC3s... Stancions on one on the way out... but at least one pair of good forks there.


If you decide to turn your two iffys into one functional fork, I'd be interested in the spare spring assembly - assuming I can retrofit it to my 55cr for some coil plushness.


I have a pair of 55's that you are welcome to experiment with.


Keen, I do love me some coil forkness. Coil 55s? Or a spare / dead CR?


Coil 55 rc3 ti. The coating on the legs has gone, but the guts are still ok.
phunk
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Re: Marzocchi Is Shutting Up Shop

Postby phunk on Fri 24/Jul/15 12:13pm

Chickenman wrote:
Dougal wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Chickenman wrote:My memory is fuzzy at best, but I think they were a '95 model designed to compete with Judy, there was the XC 600 for a lightweight XC fork, and the DH3 for DH with 3" of travel. Then in '96, the first steel stancioned Z1 was released at 4" with completely changed what we wanted/expected in a suspension fork.

Correct.

Judy's were insanely expensive at the time, but I always wanted the DH's. :love:


Chickenman wrote:I had the original Judy DH 75mm fork with the plastic cartridge. It was awesome.

At blowing the cartridge apart.


Place your bids Gentlemen. I have a 97 Era Judy DH dual cartridge here which is for sale. :sneaky:

I instead have 95 Manitou EFC's in excellent condition, with aftermarket coil springs and recently rebuilt. I bought mine out of Germany. Just can't decide which bike to put them on.

First world problems!


Hmm. I might have to sign in on my computer and have a bit of a search. I can feel the makings of a thread.


I have a bunch of NOS Judy springs and a damper cartridge sitting in my spares bin.
phunk
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Re: Marzocchi Is Shutting Up Shop

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 24/Jul/15 12:25pm

phunk wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:
phunk wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:
Trail wrote:I have a couple of pairs of 55 Ti RC3s... Stancions on one on the way out... but at least one pair of good forks there.


If you decide to turn your two iffys into one functional fork, I'd be interested in the spare spring assembly - assuming I can retrofit it to my 55cr for some coil plushness.


I have a pair of 55's that you are welcome to experiment with.


Keen, I do love me some coil forkness. Coil 55s? Or a spare / dead CR?


Coil 55 rc3 ti. The coating on the legs has gone, but the guts are still ok.

PM sent.
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Cycling | Forks | News | Suspension Forks - Latest Posts

Who is online

47 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot] and 46 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop