Manuka Honey: A Question About The Good Bits

Postby Scotty on Fri 2/May/14 6:40pm

So scalding hot water kills bugs, right?

Say if I want to use manuka honey to sweeten my cup of tea, does the boiling water kill the good stuff in the manuka honey?
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Manuka Honey: A Question About The Good Bits

Postby happybaboon on Fri 2/May/14 7:17pm

UMF's promoted as being very stable.
Whether or not it does anything (particularly when diluted, then ingested) is unclear. You might just be eating plain old super-expensive honey.

Manuka honey is excellent for healing external wounds. But don't put the eatin' stuff on sores; gotta be the medicinal stuff, else it might have botulism spores innit what'll kill you dead. A lot of the wound cleaning properties are due to the huge amounts of sugar killing bugs, and the peroxide (which is in all honey) killing bugs, not necessarily the UMF.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Trail on Fri 2/May/14 7:45pm

time and temperature kills bugs. 100 deg for 15 min will kill a lot of bugs.

All honey is a bit anti bacterial due to hydrogen peroxide being present. This anti bacterial effect is probably gone by the time you stir a teaspoon of honey into a cup of hot water.

The UMF in Manuka honey is something different - interwebs provide this:

You can add Active Manuka to hot drinks such as tea and Coffee (unlike other honeys with hydrogen peroxide, which is easily destroyed by heat and light, Active Manuka still retains most of its anti bacterial properties, even after boiling or moderate dilution)

I have no idea what "moderate dilution" is.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Fri 2/May/14 10:12pm

according to the best available evidence - cochrane systematic review - says this about honey in general - "Honey may improve healing times in mild to moderate superficial and partial thickness burns compared with some conventional dressings. Honey dressings as an adjuvant to compression do not significantly increase leg ulcer healing at 12 weeks. There is insufficient evidence to guide clinical practice in other areas."
the UMF = Unique Manuka Factor sounds suspiciously like a marketing tool to me. I had a quick look at doe of the studies since 2012 and found nothing convincing with the possible exception of bacterial infections in radiation induced mucositis - but it didm't test it against "normal" honey. To be fair i didn't look too hard
I am very sceptical
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 2/May/14 10:43pm

Why would one want to ingest an antibacterial in the first place? Randomly attacking one's own gut flora doesn't sound like a smart idea.

And if such a war on oneself were found to be a good idea, wouldn't alcohol do a better job? Or mouthwash?

Or urine, for those who insist on a locally sourced natural product?
Scrub that, piss makes toast soggy.

Manuka honey wins then, by logical elimination. I fucking love science.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby Trail on Sat 3/May/14 9:12am

There was some research suggesting that the umf was active against the bacteria that cause stomach ulcers (helico pylori) and that eating manuka honey may be beneficial for those with stomach ulcers...

They have isolated what the compound is that gives the UMF its antibacterial properties - and it is now called some other acronym because you can call it "Unidentified Manuka Factor" once you have identified what it is...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby RugbySucks on Sat 3/May/14 9:46am

Unidentified Marketing Factor
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Sat 3/May/14 10:00am

:D
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby philstar on Sat 3/May/14 11:51am

Simonius_Titius wrote: Randomly attacking one's own gut flora doesn't sound like a smart idea.

Antibiotics are sometimes a good Idea, determining that it's not a virus is sometimes hard.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby happybaboon on Sat 3/May/14 5:56pm

Trail wrote:There was some research suggesting that the umf was active against the bacteria that cause stomach ulcers (helico pylori) and that eating manuka honey may be beneficial for those with stomach ulcers...

They have isolated what the compound is that gives the UMF its antibacterial properties - and it is now called some other acronym because you can call it "Unidentified Manuka Factor" once you have identified what it is...

It's now UNIQUE manuka factor :)

For what it's worth, manuka honey is the business for wounds. It's totally awesome. But I can't compare it to regular honey because that isn't produced in a medicinal form. I suspect that regular honey would be just about as good.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Purple_Helmet on Sat 3/May/14 6:10pm

I would like to punch Comvita in the face for trebling the price of manuka honey, and every other manufacturer that followed suit. Bastards.
Purple_Helmet
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Scotty on Sat 3/May/14 7:21pm

Excellent. This is quite possibly the most informative bunch of replies I've had here for a while.

Kudos, gents. :)
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby jo on Sat 3/May/14 7:26pm

Honey is also most excellent with peanut butter on toast.

Just wanted to lower the informative:useless ratio of this thread. :paranoid:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby chuckie34 on Sat 3/May/14 7:33pm

I was recently given an ice cream container full of the manuka stuff by a friend. I stir a big tablespoon full into my oats in the morning. delish.
chuckie34
"I had an idea - - - - -"
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby znomit on Sat 3/May/14 8:04pm

Make sure your Manuka dealer is legit. There's a lot of fakes around. Also make sure it's 100% honey too as a lot of it gets cut with sugar.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Health | Sifting - Latest Posts