Mansell Says F1 Sucks!

Postby jeremyb on Tue 6/Jul/04 2:57pm

F1's Become A Turn Off: Mansell
06/07/2004 10:14 AM - Reuters

Former world champion Nigel Mansell says Formula One has become a turn off, even for him.

"I'm sick of people coming up to me and saying what a load of rubbish Formula One is now," the Briton said in the Times newspaper.

"I've tried to defend it because it meant such a lot to me for so many years but even I can no longer go on defending the indefensible. How can you when there is virtually no overtaking on the track and little genuine excitement?

"It saddens me to say it but I'm just appalled at how the regulations are ruining Formula One," the former Williams and Ferrari driver added.

Mansell, world champion with Williams in 1992 when he won nine races, has recently turned his hand to golf and on Sunday fired his first below-par round in a professional tournament, shooting a three-under 66 in the Ryder Cup Wales Seniors Open.

"I still keep in touch with what's happening in Formula One and I'll usually sit down to watch the start of a grand prix, but after a few laps I find I can't watch any more and switch off. It's that bad," he said.

"Even a couple of team owners have told me Formula One is in a mess and they hate it. They don't enjoy going to grands prix any more."

Ferrari's Michael Schumacher has won nine out of 10 races this season and Sunday's French Grand Prix, while a strategic masterpiece for the Italian team, had barely an overtaking manoeuvre in it.

"A fundamental problem is that the cars are too easy to drive," the 50-year-old told the Times. "The most inexperienced young driver can climb into a Formula One car and drive it competently."
jeremyb
"www.derailled.co.nz - New Zealand Cycling Forum"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby jeremyb on Tue 6/Jul/04 2:59pm

:lol: @ Too easy to drive!
jeremyb

Postby thorg on Tue 6/Jul/04 3:01pm

So we should all watch the WRC instead?

IRL?

MotoGP?

GTP cup?

plenty of other good motorsports out there, I've given up on F1.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby jeremyb on Tue 6/Jul/04 3:09pm

V8 Supercars!
jeremyb

Postby Stun on Tue 6/Jul/04 3:11pm

Take the traction control off like they do on the warm-up laps!
That'll make for some great racing!!!
Stun

Postby Spacemonkey on Tue 6/Jul/04 3:12pm

He's right. :(
the european touring cars are far more fun to watch.

WRC isn't too bad either... but the lower classes are more fun to watch. :)
Spacemonkey
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 6/Jul/04 3:13pm

jeremyb wrote:V8 Supercars!

bah humbug....dont you mean V8 shopping cars??

WRC, on the other hand....
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Naff on Tue 6/Jul/04 3:13pm

V8's are :cool:

F1 is boring.... :huh:

ASP world tour on sunday afternoons is BRILLIANT! :)
Naff
"3 times the fun!"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby ryguy on Tue 6/Jul/04 3:15pm

Last time i watched moto GP i noticed that there was almost a constant battle for any podium position, compared to F1 it is action packed. I suppose some people don't really dig motorbikes though.......
ryguy
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby thorg on Tue 6/Jul/04 3:21pm

Rally of rotorua this weekend, part of the national series, all good at the moment.

chance to come along and see good motor sport AND get some good mountainbiking in. :thumbsup:

I'll be there :D
thorg
"what blog?"

Postby thorg on Tue 6/Jul/04 3:24pm

The 2004 event will incorporate a new two day format beginning with a ceremonial start from City Focus in the heart of Rotorua on the evening of Thursday 8th July. The competitive action begins the following morning as crews head towards Opotiki via a new stage at Matahuru and then onto the traditional stages at Rotoehu and Manawahe.

After service at Opotiki the demanding Motu Road stage awaits. Previously contested as two stages in past years, this year, crews will complete the twisty gorge pass as one 47km test. Service at Matawai is then followed by the classic Whakarau and Raukaroa stages before returning to the overnight parc ferme on the Rotorua Lakefront.

Saturday’s leg two begins in the Waiotapu Forest with a further group of public road stages before a final loop of stages in the Kaingaroa Forest. A central service park will be based at Kawerau throughout the day. The surviving crews will then return to City Focus in Rotorua for the ceremonial finish and traditional victory spraying of champagne.
thorg
"what blog?"

Postby happybaboon on Tue 6/Jul/04 3:32pm

I think they should have a random NOS system in place, whereby their cars can, at the whims of the race director perhaps, suddenly have 20% more power, leading to hilarious accidents and outrageous overtaking.

Mansell has got it right - Past the start of the race, most GPs are numbingly boring. Especially with Williams and McLaren so uncompetitive at the moment. *Maybe* if this new McLaren works out a bit better, it'll get exciting again. Maybe.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby jeremyb on Tue 6/Jul/04 3:48pm

happybaboon wrote:I think they should have a random NOS system in place, whereby their cars can, at the whims of the race director perhaps, suddenly have 20% more power, leading to hilarious accidents and outrageous overtaking.

They already have an adjustable rev limiter so you can get a momentary boost :)
jeremyb

Postby happybaboon on Tue 6/Jul/04 3:51pm

They should set a minimum alcoholic volume on all drinking fluids held in the car too. I'm pretty sure most of them take in several litres during a race. If it was several litres of beer, things could get more interesting.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Colin on Tue 6/Jul/04 4:02pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
jeremyb wrote:V8 Supercars!

bah humbug....dont you mean V8 shopping cars??

WRC, on the other hand....

WRC - old ladies hatchbacks (307, Xzara, Focus)

Mansell was a whining whinger when he raced and still is.

The cars are too easy to drive - that's rich from someone who was only any good when there were more driver aids in the car than at any other time in the history of F1. When he came back from USofA to race for McLaren the eletronics had been removed and he sucked big time - didn't last out the season. And he was to big/fat to fit comfortably in the car - they had to make a special Big Mac car for him.

When he won his championship the Williams eletonics and the the Renault engine were superior to any other car out there (sort of like Ferrari today) yet Mansell never acknowledged the part the car or the team played in his magnificent victories.

He was never an overly smart guy - possibly he doesn't understand what is happening on the track after the pit stops start and the car first on the road isn't necessarily going to win the race.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Motoring | Motorsport | Sifting - Latest Posts