Re: Man Charged Over Gorge Bridge Swing Death

Postby witchwoman on Fri 20/Mar/09 5:24pm

The guy running the bridge swing has been doing it for years, not just for Massey but for school groups and loads of others. The most dangerous thing when I did it last year was having heaps of people on a bridge that hasn't got much of a footpath and it's a public road.

It's tragic what's happened but it also sucks that someone who spends all of his time introducing people to sports like bridge swinging and climbing and sharing his passion and knowledge should pretty much have his life as he knew it ruined by this. He does heaps of great stuff in the community around Palmy and I hope thats all taken into account in the court process.
witchwoman
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby Fraser on Fri 20/Mar/09 7:36pm

So even thou if even if you have no knowledge of how a harness works or how to rig something, the magical words of 'if you are not happy or comfortable with this then tell me' means that it is the punters responsibility obligation free?
So are you wanting to be the lawyer for Josef Fritzl or something.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby sidlomavpa on Fri 20/Mar/09 7:46pm

Fraser, You wanna try writing that again? Sorry it's not making any sense for me...

Wait I'll have another beer then try again.
sidlomavpa
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 20/Mar/09 7:58pm

sidlomavpa wrote:Fraser, You wanna try writing that again? Sorry it's not making any sense for me...

look back on the previous page, it makes sense as a response to HDC, rather than a response to the above post
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby sidlomavpa on Fri 20/Mar/09 8:46pm

Fraser wrote:So even thou if even if you have no knowledge of how a harness works or how to rig something, the magical words of 'if you are not happy or comfortable with this then tell me' means that it is the punters responsibility obligation free?
So are you wanting to be the lawyer for Josef Fritzl or something.

It's a hard one, I can see HDCs point and I agree in a lot of ways but yeah as you point out in this case where someone is purely at the consumer end of "adrenalin" sport they do need to be protected from "arcane" knowledge requirements.

I personally feel fairly negative towards the "adventure" tourism mindset, All fun, no investment of time or skill to learn how to do what it is you want to experience... Pay your money get your thrill and blame someone if they make a mistake, FFS it's an "extreme adrenalin adventure" or so it says on the glossy brochure... Go prune the roses if you didn't want to roll the dice or learn how to load them in your favour.
sidlomavpa

Postby j2hyde on Fri 20/Mar/09 9:00pm

Adventure tourism sells the perception of risk. Not risk itself.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby sidlomavpa on Fri 20/Mar/09 9:08pm

No it doesn't that's just industry jargon to mollify those who are wringing their hands umming and aahing about whether to put their money down...

They are selling risk that they are mitigating to an acceptable level for punters who are unwilling to take the time to figure it out for themselves.
sidlomavpa

Postby Fraser on Sat 21/Mar/09 2:51am

pushbikerider wrote:
sidlomavpa wrote:Fraser, You wanna try writing that again? Sorry it's not making any sense for me...

look back on the previous page, it makes sense as a response to HDC, rather than a response to the above post

No I can't be arsed

I will speak slower this time... Mine's a pint.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby sircrashalot on Sat 21/Mar/09 12:17pm

that was my mates dad thats been charged, but hes a cool guy and would never do it on perpose and i dnt think he would use folty gear nowing him, sence he is a rock climber an all.
:(
sircrashalot
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby sidlomavpa on Sat 21/Mar/09 12:33pm

Well it will be interesting to find out the cause of this failure, being a climber doesn't make him less likely to cut corners though, less than bomber anchors are something of a specialty of mine :paranoid: ... Sucks that he's been charged with manslaughter! Puts him in the same bucket as that stupid shit who helped beat Michael Choy to death and that is, IMHO, just wrong..
sidlomavpa

Postby slowMTB on Sat 21/Mar/09 12:54pm

Well, it has been an interesting read so far.

For me, I saw the news on telly, looked over at my two daughters and shed a tear or two or three or.............. This shit is just plain tragic and personally very upsetting. I feel for the family and gentlemen responsible, what a sad event. There are no winners here :(

Privatising accident insurance - I sat next to a gentlemen form the US of A the other day while my children played at a local park. We got into a conversation and he was in awe that we had such wonderful facilities. He explained that with the threat of being sued if someone was hurt that in his state they did not have playgrounds. He was clearly enjoying the experience, personally I found the thought unimaginable :eh: . It was enlightening to say the least.
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby sidlomavpa on Sat 21/Mar/09 1:10pm

Yeah the benefits of our system, whilst not being perfect, far out weigh the negatives.
sidlomavpa

Postby happybaboon on Sat 21/Mar/09 1:12pm

slowMTB wrote:Well, it has been an interesting read so far.

For me, I saw the news on telly, looked over at my two daughters and shed a tear or two or three or.............. This shit is just plain tragic and personally very upsetting. I feel for the family and gentlemen responsible, what a sad event. There are no winners here :(

Privatising accident insurance - I sat next to a gentlemen form the US of A the other day while my children played at a local park. We got into a conversation and he was in awe that we had such wonderful facilities. He explained that with the threat of being sued if someone was hurt that in his state they did not have playgrounds. He was clearly enjoying the experience, personally I found the thought unimaginable :eh: . It was enlightening to say the least.

You should hear Americans bitch and moan about ACC when they get injured though :lol:

The "she'll probably be right, we'll just keep an eye on it for a bit" policy of NZ medicine doesn't wash with the Xrays and Morphine and Surgery and Antibiotics for ALL! philosophy of the US.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby sidlomavpa on Sat 21/Mar/09 1:16pm

Yeah but that's ok! cos they can't sue....

The idea that we would take such a backward step as privatising ACC in the face of such overwhelming evidence as to privatisations failings is too horrible to contemplate!
sidlomavpa

Postby magicstunts on Tue 20/Oct/09 6:12am

Tragic is damn right, for everyone involved and there's no way to fix that.

I've been running a Bridge swing in South Africa for more than 10 years now and from what i've gathered from what i've read in the media it sounds like the rope wasn't re-set (as in pulled shorter) before the poor girl jumped. If that was the case she would've fell directly to the ground. On a big day when you've got a lot of people jumping it's easy to get tired towards the end of the day and forget stuff. That's why we run with a minimum crew of 3 and we all check on each other before each jump. It's no insult to say "hey you prick you forgot to set/tighten this or that", whether it's a knot or not doubling back the harness buckles/whatever. There are no laws governing extreme sports, only those of trespass, etc. That's why people perceive bridge swinging/abseiling/base jumping etc. to be illegal but the sport itself isn't. Associations trying to govern the sports need more teeth, or laws passed to regulate them legally so this kind of thing can be avoided.

My sympathy goes out to everyone involved, especially friends and family of Catherine Peters. Let's not forget a family is tragically broken now
magicstunts
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Climbing | Crime | Lower North Island | Manawatu | New Zealand | Palmerston North | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts