Re: Man Charged Over Gorge Bridge Swing Death

Postby Friendly Llama on Wed 18/Mar/09 4:15pm

Up until this I always thought bridge jumping was entirely illegal. Does anyone know what is required to do it legally? Would take some of the excitement out though :lol:

I really feel sorry for everyone involved in this...
Friendly Llama
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Jim on Wed 18/Mar/09 5:43pm

Tama wrote:
JumpR wrote:
Dazzle wrote:
Tama wrote:It's a release direct from the police - I put it up as I think it's an interesting part of a broader story of outdoor activities and who is held responsible when things go terribly wrong. Keep in mind that many riding areas/ events only exist because land owners/ event organisers/ volunteers aren't in fear of litigation/ legal action.

Privatise ACC and make events take on full liability cover. :thumbsup:

Are you serious :ib: The implications would be massive if this occured - clubs too scared to run events for fear of being sued or inability to pay for (or secure) liability cover.

I'm hoping Dazzle's being ironic as that scenario gives me the shits. If New Zealand ever turns towards a legal framework/ culture of litigation lots of cool stuff we currently take for granted will get hammered.

If I got to help draft the "Constitution of New Zealand" I'd make sure that pretty close to the top there was something that said "The citizens of New Zealand understand that sometimes shit happens and no one is to blame."

I agree with Tama, if NZ were to change I would be very scared, I moved here to get away from that stlye of thinking. :crazy:
Jim
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby j2hyde on Wed 18/Mar/09 8:30pm

It's true, the occassional accidental death and low payouts for debilitating injury are a small price to pay when you consider the benifits the vast majority of people enjoy as a result.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby ants06 on Wed 18/Mar/09 9:01pm

Dazzle wrote:
Tama wrote:It's a release direct from the police - I put it up as I think it's an interesting part of a broader story of outdoor activities and who is held responsible when things go terribly wrong. Keep in mind that many riding areas/ events only exist because land owners/ event organisers/ volunteers aren't in fear of litigation/ legal action.

Fucken aye!! Ive been a builder for 10years so pay huge acc bills and ive only every had 1 xray on them , id save s*** loads if i could go private
ants06
"Google first muppet"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby sidlomavpa on Wed 18/Mar/09 9:23pm

ants06 wrote:
Dazzle wrote:

Fucken aye!! Ive been a builder for 10years so pay huge acc bills and ive only every had 1 xray on them , id save s*** loads if i could go private

Yeah sure you would... right up to if you had an accident that the insurance was able to weasel out of on a technicality and you were left to shell out of your own pocket for the medical bill, no comp for loss of earnings either..
sidlomavpa
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby ants06 on Wed 18/Mar/09 9:34pm

sidlomavpa wrote:
ants06 wrote:
Dazzle wrote:

Yeah sure you would... right up to if you had an accident that the insurance was able to weasel out of on a technicality and you were left to shell out of your own pocket for the medical bill, no comp for loss of earnings either..

LOL , like acc . Acc dont give you shit when you self employed they check last 5 years and then give you 80% of the worst year ... if your lucky.
ants06
"Google first muppet"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby nostromo on Wed 18/Mar/09 9:39pm

Dazzle wrote:

Yeah, we'd pay only $400 each to do a Karapoti or similar
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Fraser on Thu 19/Mar/09 12:36am

But you don't make money off throwing people off a bridge without knowing that if you don't rig them right they will die. Alot of people assume alot of climbing equipment is bullet proof and lasts a lifetime as you paid alot of money for that Petzl stuff years ago.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby danose on Fri 20/Mar/09 2:16pm

Fraser wrote:Alot of people assume alot of climbing equipment is bullet proof and lasts a lifetime as you paid alot of money for that Petzl stuff years ago.

you mean I shouldn't be leading on a 10 year old rope and wearing an even older harness! :o

I'm waiting to hear what the actual accident analysis is - my bet is a really simple rigging error (failed to double back harness buckle or similar would be #1 pick)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Fri 20/Mar/09 2:44pm

sidlomavpa wrote:
ants06 wrote:
Dazzle wrote:

Hello, my name is Henry and I will be your lawyer today.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Fri 20/Mar/09 2:48pm

danose wrote:
Fraser wrote:Alot of people assume alot of climbing equipment is bullet proof and lasts a lifetime as you paid alot of money for that Petzl stuff years ago.

you mean I shouldn't be leading on a 10 year old rope and wearing an even older harness! :o

I'm waiting to hear what the actual accident analysis is - my bet is a really simple rigging error (failed to double back harness buckle or similar would be #1 pick)

thats the problem of trusting that stuff to professionals. The very first thing that was ever said to me when putting on a harness was "Its you that is going to be hanging on to the end of this, you need to be comfortable that if you need to swing on it, you've done what is necessary to be safe"

Sure it won't stop stuff like other shit happening: gear breakage, but the personal responsibility point is such that YOU do what YOU can because its YOUR life. Same with paddling, mountainbiking, motorcycling or really anything. What all of these things involve is risk assessment, risk mitgation, and acknowledgment that there is risk remaining which is why we do these things.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby j2hyde on Fri 20/Mar/09 3:09pm

nostromo wrote:
Dazzle wrote:

Yeah, we'd pay only $400 each to do a Karapoti or similar

Negatory. About $70 a year for all your races should cover it.
j2hyde

Postby happybaboon on Fri 20/Mar/09 3:21pm

danose wrote:I'm waiting to hear what the actual accident analysis is - my bet is a really simple rigging error (failed to double back harness buckle or similar would be #1 pick)

I study at Massey, and thus I've heard about five totally different explainations of what MUST have gone wrong :D
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby j2hyde on Fri 20/Mar/09 3:30pm

I heard it was a combination of the global financial crisis, something the previous government did and climate change.
j2hyde

Postby sifter on Fri 20/Mar/09 3:53pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
danose wrote:

thats the problem of trusting that stuff to professionals. The very first thing that was ever said to me when putting on a harness was "Its you that is going to be hanging on to the end of this, you need to be comfortable that if you need to swing on it, you've done what is necessary to be safe"

Sure it won't stop stuff like other shit happening: gear breakage, but the personal responsibility point is such that YOU do what YOU can because its YOUR life. Same with paddling, mountainbiking, motorcycling or really anything. What all of these things involve is risk assessment, risk mitgation, and acknowledgment that there is risk remaining which is why we do these things.

this reminds me a lot of a lecture I'd often give my kid sister... (e.g. when Mum had not signed a form saying she could go on a school trip, sis would blame Mum...) The person with the ultimate responsibility has to be the one who MOST cares about the outcome...
sifter
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Climbing | Crime | Lower North Island | Manawatu | New Zealand | Palmerston North | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts