Calendar Event: December 9, 2007

XC: Makara Peak Rally 2007

Postby benw on Tue 29/May/07 9:43am

UPDATE: Entry forms are now available! Download your form by [CLICKING HERE] (PDF file, right click, save target as)

* NEW INFORMATION NOW ON THE MAKARA PEAK WEBSITE =} [CLICK HERE]l

And a huge thanks to all our sponsors for supporting the event!

Our most excellent pool of spot prizes has been provided by Active Kiwi, Bike Barn, Burkes Cycles, Cactus Climbing, Crankworks, Cycle Science, Embrace, Ground Effect, J'Ville Cycles, Kennett Bros, Maxxis, Mud Cycles, On Yer Bike, Penny Farthing Cycles, Revolution Cycles, Roadworks and Rocket Bikes.

Gabby has also thrown some Mountain Bike Skills Clinics vouchers in the mail which was very kind :) and I am sure they will be sought after.

And the Makara Peak Rally doesn't happen without the support of Copy NZ who cover all our printing costs along with Bark Limited, Brumbies and Hire Pool who help us throughout the year. A big thanks to Tama & Vorb for helping us get the word out and our partners at the Wellington City Council for their on going support and support of track development at Makara Peak.

Anyway, after a low key approach to promoting the Rally the last couple of years, we are going to make sure that there is much more awareness and even more participation in the event in 2007! Last year we had about 150 riders but we know we can do a lot better than that, and it is really important that we do as it is one of our major funding sources for continuing to develop and maintain all that lovely single track!

If you haven't been along to a Rally, there are very social, heaps of fun and there is always something to watch when you are not doing something else. Last year's stand out performances were from the Kennett twins sliding out their tandem and Sifter's storming performance both with Katy and without.

If you don't know what event to enter or don't understand the format, email us or post a question! There is something for everyone in there!

In terms of the event format, as with previous years there will be the Creek to Peak relay in the morning where teams of two do a lap each of the 'Grand Loop' (minus Upper Ridgeline). Then in the afternoon it is onto the Tour de Peak. We now have the Open (Everything), Duo (everything shared between two), Super Sport (Everything except Trickle Falls and Vertigo) and Rec (the Lower Trails except Live Wires!).

New trails being used this year include Lazy Fern and the Possum Track, which really change both the AM & PM events.

So pencil it in (and clicky clicky on the attend button!), December the 9th, we have tried to avoid clashes (e.g. the mid-north Island XC series race is the week before and there is one after too :-) and we will have something for the weekend warrior as well as the whippets. If your legs are not up to something big, check out the Rec class for a bit of fun and a much appreciated donation to the Park :-)

Questions? supporters@makarapeak.org.nz

See you all on the 9th :cool:
Last edited by benw on Sat 1/Dec/07 9:19am, edited 3 times in total.
benw
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Nick_K on Tue 29/May/07 11:03am

I've penciled it in. I've had to miss it every year through work.
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby ryda on Tue 29/May/07 11:06am

9th of December don't think I forget that date somehow
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby wgtngrl on Tue 29/May/07 11:06am

I have a feeling it will clash with something up north. But if not, I'll be there in one capacity or another...
wgtngrl
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby benw on Tue 29/May/07 11:09am

wgtngrl wrote: I have a feeling it will clash with something up north. But if not, I'll be there in one capacity or another...

If it is the North Island Series race in Vegas you are thinking of, that is the week before (the 2nd I believe).
benw

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Tue 29/May/07 11:09am

Will most likely be directing traffic again this year (if we are around that weekend) :)
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby benw on Tue 29/May/07 11:09am

ryda wrote: 9th of December don't think I forget that date somehow

We can supply cake and candles if necessary
benw

Postby ryda on Tue 29/May/07 11:11am

wgtngrl wrote: I have a feeling it will clash with something up north. But if not, I'll be there in one capacity or another...

one of the mid nth island champs rounds maybe ?
ryda
"WTF"

Postby benw on Tue 29/May/07 11:12am

Scaredy_Cat wrote: Will most likely be directing traffic again this year (if we are around that weekend) :)

Yeah - great team effort out on ML last year from you and Ryda, much appreciated and we will be needing a good number of folks again this year. That said, it would be good to see you tearing it up in either the AM or the PM
benw

Postby ryda on Tue 29/May/07 11:13am

benw wrote:
ryda wrote: 9th of December don't think I forget that date somehow

We can supply cake and candles if necessary
you might have trouble finding enough candles thou :thumbsup:
Last edited by ryda on Tue 29/May/07 11:13am, edited 1 time in total.
ryda
"WTF"

Postby wgtngrl on Tue 29/May/07 11:13am

benw wrote:

If it is the North Island Series race in Vegas you are thinking of, that is the week before (the 2nd I believe).

Ah, good stuff :) Thanks for that. And I can safely assume the Napier race is 2 weeks later on the 16th.

I now officially have 2 non-race weekends from mid-August through to the end of the year *gulp*
wgtngrl

Postby benw on Tue 29/May/07 11:19am

wgtngrl wrote:
benw wrote:

Ah, good stuff :) Thanks for that. And I can safely assume the Napier race is 2 weeks later on the 16th.

Yup - although I qualify all statements with "Marco says..." as I can't find anything official yet.

wgtngrl wrote:I now officially have 2 non-race weekends from mid-August through to the end of the year *gulp*

Plenty of time to get those filled in.
benw

Postby Hawkesbaymtb on Tue 29/May/07 1:23pm

2007 M-NIC (XC) Series dates are as follows:

#1 : Taupo - Sunday 28 October (single lap 30+km)
#2 : Tokoroa - Sunday 18 November (multi-lap)
#3 : Rotorua - Sunday 2 December (multi-lap)
#4 : Napier - Sunday 16 December (double lap, approx 22km lap)

Other events that I know of 'up north'

Auckland XC Series:
#1 : Sept 23
#2 : Oct 14
#3 : Nov 11
#4 : Dec 9
Last edited by Hawkesbaymtb on Wed 30/May/07 9:41am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkesbaymtb
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby Hawkesbaymtb on Tue 29/May/07 1:30pm

An extra side note for the Napier Final of the MNIC.

For the females, only the Open category will compete over the 2 laps, all other female categories will be just one lap.

We set a different course every year, aiming at approx 2hrs 30min winning time for the double lap.
Hawkesbaymtb
Member for: 17 years 4 months

Postby wgtngrl on Tue 29/May/07 3:45pm

Thanks for that.

And Ben - no, I don't think I'll be filling those weekends in. I have a wedding for one of them and think I will just savour the the other one (or more likely spend a few hours on the roadie).
wgtngrl

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Events | Mountain Biking | News - Latest Posts