Lyrik Servicing - Am I Doing It Wrong

Postby cep32 on Mon 12/Jun/17 1:17pm

So I've been keeping up the servicing of my Lyrik fork every 50 hours or less but finding that by about hour 20 or so it has started to feel harsh. As soon as I do a lowers service it returns to being super plush and amazing. One thing I have noticed is that there is no sign of any sram butter on the seals when I open it up. How much do people use? I don't think I'm being stingy with it.

Any other tips for keeping the fork feeling pleush all the way to the 50 hour mark?
cep32
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Re: Lyrik Servicing - Am I Doing It Wrong

Postby phunk on Mon 12/Jun/17 2:20pm

Does air rush out when you pop the lower bolts? Might be sucking in air and making it harsh?
Do you use the zip tie in the seals and a few drops of oil trick? Can help to keep the seals lubed and release air.
phunk
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Dougal on Mon 12/Jun/17 5:22pm

What are you using for oil and grease? How much lower leg oil?

RS is particularly stingy with bath oil volumes. You can run more without issues. Exactly how much more depends on your fork configuration.
Dougal
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 12/Jun/17 7:24pm

Recommended interval is 25hrs
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 12/Jun/17 8:44pm

shmoodiver wrote:Recommended interval is 25hrs

Unless it's an OG Lyrik like mine... Plushtastic coil goodness.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby cep32 on Mon 12/Jun/17 9:04pm

I've just been basing the service intervals on this https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/farfuture/W3QwdYeMa67gRXnATU1TtkrO7wpd4yN3EahXwqXZPJw/mtime:1493915065/sites/default/files/techdocs/gen.0000000005295_2018_lyrik_yari_service_manual_english_rev_b.pdf.

But the 25hr interval seems to keep things running nicer.

I have noticed this time though that when I empty all of the air out, the fork sits at around 40mm and requires quite a bit of force to compress it all the way. Even with the fork fully compressed there is no more air coming out. Is this normal? I'm running two bottomless tokens.

I figured undoing the bolts on the bottom of the fork and equalising the pressure in the lowers that way would reduce the risk of damaging the seals compared to the zip-tie option. Now that I've got this far though I might as well service it.
cep32

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 12/Jun/17 9:39pm

cep32 wrote:I figured undoing the bolts on the bottom of the fork and equalising the pressure in the lowers that way would reduce the risk of damaging the seals compared to the zip-tie option. Now that I've got this far though I might as well service it.

If the bottom bolts are the same type as older RS forks, the plastic crush washers are designed to be single use.
The zip tie is probably the safer option.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby cep32 on Mon 12/Jun/17 10:32pm

So bolts reinstalled and the fork is again sitting about 10-15% into its travel with only the weight of the bike. I can pull it to full extention but it "sucks" straight back down to 10-15% again.

I have always done the lower bolts up with no air pressure in the fork. Is there a chance this is resulting in a slight vacuum when the fork extends when I put air in it again? I might try pumping it up to the right pressure before installing the lower bolts and see if that makes a difference.
cep32

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 13/Jun/17 7:39am

Just enough pressure to get full extension would be fine.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Dougal on Tue 13/Jun/17 10:24am

cep32 wrote:I've just been basing the service intervals on this https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/farfuture/W3QwdYeMa67gRXnATU1TtkrO7wpd4yN3EahXwqXZPJw/mtime:1493915065/sites/default/files/techdocs/gen.0000000005295_2018_lyrik_yari_service_manual_english_rev_b.pdf.

But the 25hr interval seems to keep things running nicer.

I have noticed this time though that when I empty all of the air out, the fork sits at around 40mm and requires quite a bit of force to compress it all the way. Even with the fork fully compressed there is no more air coming out. Is this normal? I'm running two bottomless tokens.

I figured undoing the bolts on the bottom of the fork and equalising the pressure in the lowers that way would reduce the risk of damaging the seals compared to the zip-tie option. Now that I've got this far though I might as well service it.

Even with a fork at zero pressure, it still builds pressure in the positive and pulls vacuum in the negative when compressed. About 50kg is required to fully compress many healthy forks with zero pressure.

It should always be installed with the shafts at full length. It sounds like yours is stuck-down (air trapped in negative chamber) or has a vacuum in the lower legs from being installed with the shafts compressed.

Stuck down means your air seals are worn and allowing air to vent from positive to negative chambers.
Dougal

Postby cep32 on Tue 13/Jun/17 8:43pm

I've just undone the bolts and released the lowers. I then put air in to extend them to full travel. I figured this would be around 40-50psi but instead it took 110psi just to get the full extension before I could put the bolts on to have a neutral air pressure in the lowers. This seems way too high and sure enough when I dropped it back to 90psi where I normally have it the fork was sitting at 15% into its travel without my weight on it.

I'm over it. Time for a real mechanic.

Can anyone recommend a good fork that doesn't require all this faffing about?
cep32

Postby Dougal on Tue 13/Jun/17 8:52pm

cep32 wrote:Can anyone recommend a good fork that doesn't require all this faffing about?

What's your budget and fitment (travel, steerer, wheel and axle size)?

Your current fork is stuck-down. It needs an overhaul.
Dougal

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 13/Jun/17 8:53pm

cep32 wrote:I've just undone the bolts and released the lowers. I then put air in to extend them to full travel. I figured this would be around 40-50psi but instead it took 110psi just to get the full extension before I could put the bolts on to have a neutral air pressure in the lowers. This seems way too high and sure enough when I dropped it back to 90psi where I normally have it the fork was sitting at 15% into its travel without my weight on it.

I'm over it. Time for a real mechanic.

Can anyone recommend a good fork that doesn't require all this faffing about?

Where are you based?
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Conners on Tue 13/Jun/17 8:54pm

Dougal wrote:You need a Mattoc

:rolleyes:
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby cep32 on Tue 13/Jun/17 8:55pm

Budget - $1500