Looking For Ss Cx With Discs

Postby Luke on Thu 23/Aug/12 1:54pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for a CX bike that can run as a SS and has discs. Want it for a general purpose commuter/roadracer/redwood-forest-hack. Not interested in high performance bling just after something dependable. Must be steel.

All I've been able to find so far aren't available in NZ
http://www.raleighusa.com/archive/2012- ... furley-12/
http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cro ... ay-01-disc

If I give up on the discs I'm going to look at a
http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=paddy_wagon

Any other suggestions around the 1k or less mark? (and no, anything ti, carbon or otherwise generally expensive would be of interest)
Luke
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Re: Looking For Ss Cx With Discs

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Thu 23/Aug/12 2:39pm

I think you're being too picky with such a small budget. Last resort that mmight work: consider buying a second hand steel road bike and getting disc brake tabs welded on and the drop-outs changed. I wouldn't trust the end result enough to ride it though.

Or get a bigger budget, or lose the need for the bike to be fashionably steel + discs + ss.
Aluminium canti bikes are very able. Especially with gears.

The paddywagon's brakes will clog up very quickly off road

[edit - also look at the range of on-one and planet x bikes, but good luck finding one in NZ]
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Thu 23/Aug/12 5:23pm

Luke wrote:Hi all,

Any other suggestions around the 1k or less mark? (and no, anything ti, carbon or otherwise generally expensive would be of interest)

Hey dude, if it's any help, I've got an older paddy wagon (08 I think) which I've been running in "cross" (if you'd call it that?!) mode for the past year. The frame will take 35c tyres (I've been using Maxxis Raze, or Schwalbe CX) comfortably, as does the fork. I ran it fixed for a fair while, before changing it to single speed this winter. I haven't had any dramas with it, and have taken it along a few MTB trails without any hassles - if you can flag the disc brakes, it's a great budget option.

I use it as my rainy day bike, and take it on the trails in both directions on my commute with no brake problems. :thumbsup:
sscx.JPG
and yes, I've replaced the saddle with a black one... sheesh!
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Postby dented on Thu 23/Aug/12 6:10pm

Or for your budget you should be looking at a 2nd hand 29er, the likes of GT Peace 9r, Raleigh XXIX, Avanti Kiss, Haro Mary. Once you bung on some skinny tyres and some drop bars they will tick all your boxes.
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby JUANGEAR on Thu 23/Aug/12 7:40pm

I raced last CX season on My Singular Peregrine. SS and disc. Fits your brief nicely.

http://www.singularcycles.com/shop/inde ... grine.html
JUANGEAR
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Thu 23/Aug/12 8:19pm

Dr. Fuentes wrote:
Luke wrote:Hi all,

Hey dude, if it's any help, I've got an older paddy wagon (08 I think) which I've been running in "cross" (if you'd call it that?!) mode for the past year. The frame will take 35c tyres (I've been using Maxxis Raze, or Schwalbe CX) comfortably, as does the fork. I ran it fixed for a fair while, before changing it to single speed this winter. I haven't had any dramas with it, and have taken it along a few MTB trails without any hassles - if you can flag the disc brakes, it's a great budget option.

That's one cool bike :thumbsup: - in a dark and spooky way :crazy:

I use it as my rainy day bike, and take it on the trails in both directions on my commute with no brake problems. :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Ohskidths on Thu 23/Aug/12 9:00pm

I went on a similar search not too long ago, ended up buying a specialized crux. No steel or single speed but is a nice bike has been good fun so far. Don't expect miracles out of the cable discs though if that's what your holding out for as the definitely ack when compared to hydraulic ones on a mtb. The sram reds on my roadie definitely feel like the have more bite.
Ohskidths
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby dragon_style on Thu 23/Aug/12 9:21pm

I'm about to put my brother's hardly used medium Avanti Kiss on TradeMe - put some Salsa Woodchippers on that and you'd have pretty much what you want. You'd also need some of the Cane Creek or Tektro long pull levers but you'd come in for your budget with something that was about the same weight as a steel cross bike (unless you spend a lot) but be mtb tough.

I'm currently building up a steel rigid mtb with Surly Open bars (which have 40mm drop and more a mostache bar bars shape compared to Woodchippers etc) but take normal mtb brake levers and importantly my Rohloff shifter - single speeding being for other people now that I have two young kids and Wellington hills haven't been eroding down anywhere near as quickly as my energy and fitness.
dragon_style
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Luke on Sat 25/Aug/12 3:57pm

Dr. Fuentes wrote:

I'm used to mtb disc's and just wondering how you found the braking in the wet?
Luke

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Sat 25/Aug/12 5:35pm

I used to do a lot of MTBing, and definitely appreciate hydraulic discs on MTB trails - but riding a cross bike, you're often travelling a little slower (due to any number of reasons - smaller tyres with greater risk of puncturing, riding position, etc). Because of this, brakes aren't as much of an issue. My commute often involves a descent of "Snail Trail" (probably an "intermediate" grade trail) in Wainui, and even in pouring rain the bike handles fine.

I also had a drop bar 29er, with cable discs. I liked the bike, as it was super versatile - although the frame/fork alone would cost more than a cheaper SS (like a Paddy Wagon).
gryphon1.JPG
Dr. Fuentes

Postby Luke on Mon 27/Aug/12 3:24pm

Dr. Fuentes wrote:I used to do a lot of MTBing, and definitely appreciate hydraulic discs on MTB trails - but riding a cross bike, you're often travelling a little slower (due to any number of reasons - smaller tyres with greater risk of puncturing, riding position, etc). Because of this, brakes aren't as much of an issue. My commute often involves a descent of "Snail Trail" (probably an "intermediate" grade trail) in Wainui, and even in pouring rain the bike handles fine.

I also had a drop bar 29er, with cable discs. I liked the bike, as it was super versatile - although the frame/fork alone would cost more than a cheaper SS (like a Paddy Wagon).

I presume the paddy wagon is a bit lighter than the singular?

As suggested above a cheap option would be to be a 2nd hand 29er and put on a drop bar and some lighter wheels but I'm thinking that I can live without discs and go for the paddy wagon if it means I can save the extra weight a 29er would bring. Especially as mostly I want it for onroad with the odd gravel road/singletrack duties (probably put touring type tyres on, schwable marathons?).
Luke

Postby Cabin on Mon 27/Aug/12 5:50pm

FYI

For 2013 Avanti has upgraded the Circa. New frame with new geometry. And.... Comes spec'd with Disc brakes.

The Avanti+ dealers will have all just recieved the specs/pics/prices so pop in and have a chat with the nearest if interested in knowing more
Cabin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby dented on Mon 27/Aug/12 6:41pm

Cabin wrote:FYI

For 2013 Avanti has upgraded the Circa. New frame with new geometry. And.... Comes spec'd with Disc brakes.

The Avanti+ dealers will have all just recieved the specs/pics/prices so pop in and have a chat with the nearest if interested in knowing more

Great to know these will be coming in at $1000 retail. Great news, thanks!
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Mon 27/Aug/12 7:10pm

Luke wrote:
Dr. Fuentes wrote:I used to do a lot of MTBing, and definitely appreciate hydraulic discs on MTB trails - but riding a cross bike, you're often travelling a little slower (due to any number of reasons - smaller tyres with greater risk of puncturing, riding position, etc). Because of this, brakes aren't as much of an issue. My commute often involves a descent of "Snail Trail" (probably an "intermediate" grade trail) in Wainui, and even in pouring rain the bike handles fine.

I presume the paddy wagon is a bit lighter than the singular?

As suggested above a cheap option would be to be a 2nd hand 29er and put on a drop bar and some lighter wheels but I'm thinking that I can live without discs and go for the paddy wagon if it means I can save the extra weight a 29er would bring. Especially as mostly I want it for onroad with the odd gravel road/singletrack duties (probably put touring type tyres on, schwable marathons?).

The paddy wagon is a little heavier - the Singular was 8.5kg as pictured. The paddy wagon frame is made from old bridges, and has heavy wheels and components, and is consequently rather portly - but probably tough as nails. I've had touring style tyres too for a while, and they were fine for light off-road stuff, just not great in mud/gravel.
Dr. Fuentes

Postby Cabin on Mon 27/Aug/12 8:28pm

dented wrote:
Cabin wrote:FYI

Great to know these will be coming in at $1000 retail. Great news, thanks!

Dented.... I don't know what the pricing is. I only saw the spec's and pictures. Imagine the Disc braked one will likely be more like a $2k bracket bike. So they may not fit the original poster's 1k criteria. I just threw those thoughts up here as those looking at the thread may be interested to know those models are on the way.

Cheers
Cabin
Cabin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Cycling | Cyclocross - Latest Posts