Re: Looking For Tips - Holidaying And Potential Move, South Nz

Postby Conners on Wed 4/Sep/19 11:17am

AgrAde wrote:Yeah it's hard to have a hot or a frozen day in Wellington when the rainfall is over double Christchurch. And generally traveling sideways.

:p

That's interesting - I didn't actually know that.
And Welly is surprisingly close to Auckland in terms of average annual rainfall - I'd have expected Auckland to be a lot higher rainfall, given that it always seems to be raining there.
Living in Welly I've never thought of it as an issue, perhaps its like Nelson where the locals claim "it only ever rains at night"?

On the plus side, Welly trails drain and aren't built on clay so we can ride in the winter. Whereas in Chch the Port Hills tend to get shut down when it gets too wet?
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby philstar on Wed 4/Sep/19 1:49pm

Conners wrote:
AgrAde wrote:Yeah it's hard to have a hot or a frozen day in Wellington when the rainfall is over double Christchurch. And generally traveling sideways.

:p

And Welly is surprisingly close to Auckland in terms of average annual rainfall - I'd have expected Auckland to be a lot higher rainfall, given that it always seems to be raining there.

it is all raining in Auckland (but only a little bit), but when it rains in wellington it is a good rain. days (w159 a185 ) of rain vs amount of rain (w1249 mm A1284 mm)
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Wed 4/Sep/19 3:33pm

Wellington rain blows mostly through pretty quick . The crappy days are those ones with little wind. The best rainy ones are those from significant and immediate wind shifts. wind windy wind
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 5/Sep/19 7:04am

Needs moar pole.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby MattV on Thu 5/Sep/19 8:09pm

linus wrote:
Any good riding around Tauranga & Kati kati?

Any thoughts about bike rental/buying? We're not travelling via the US, so bringing my bike on the plane is likely to be too expensive. Rental is an option, but maybe I'm better off just buying a bike in the BOP when we first arrive, and selling it before flying home via Chch. Looks like there's a decent selection on Trademe.

My inlaws are in Tauranga so when we visit and I do take my bike I usually shoot off down to Rotorua. Ive ridden the trails in Oropi (which is only a few minutes away from their house) but, with no disrespect, it's too small and I get bored pretty quickly.
MattV
"If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby linus on Fri 26th Feb 11:43pm

Wow, I really messed up, didn't I?

I apparently missed turning on email notifications for replies, and didn't realise that I actually got some really good input here.

Until now, that is... I came back onto the site since we've now decided that we're moving to NZ this year, probably in July. Christchurch is the target, and we're leaning towards living somewhere near the Port Hills, rather than living outside of town.

We're currently talking to estate agents and moving companies, waiting on MIQ dates being released for July, etc.

We had a good time with a fair bit of cycling on our holiday last year. One of my favourites was Kaiteriteri, but also had a good time in Rotorua and Wellington. We stayed for a while with my brother in law in Christchurch, but there was no time to get a rental bike for proper riding. I did borrow a hardtrail "MTB" for working up a sweat on the Rapaki Track a few times, and also took it down some of the trails in the bike park (please don't tell the bike owner). I think I'll enjoy the CHCH area, and I'm also looking forward to spending some time in the proper mountains. Already thinking of getting a split board so I can go and play in the snow.

I'm sure I'll have a million more questions, and this appears to be one of the more "alive" places for kiwi MTB riders.

I'm thinking that I'll ship my 140mm trail bike over, but for the park trails in CHCH, I might want something a bit more beefy. I'm guessing that a reasonably pedalling efficient enduro bike is the way to go?

What's the used/new bike market like in NZ at the moment? Here in Europe, lead times on new bikes are very long, which has also affected the second hand market, and decent bikes are hard to find. Is there a surplus of ex-rental bikes, due to the drop in tourism, or am I too late for that?

How do I meet riding buddies once I've arrived? Just awkwardly start talking to people while pedaling up the Rapaki Track? : :D
Last edited by linus on Tue 2nd Mar 3:20am, edited 1 time in total.
linus
Member for: 1 year 7 months

Postby Rik on Mon 1st Mar 8:58am

Hah, you think lead times are bad in Europe, lead times for spares and new bike are worse here. Still a good selection of second hand bikes on the market though.

Plenty of local clubs/ race series to join. Nothing beats the bond formed racing some one for half and hour odd over 87th place :p

Christchurch Single Track Club =} http://www.singletrack.org.nz/
Gravity Canterbury =} http://www.gravitycanterbury.org.nz
to name but a few.

Or if you just want to casually meet people, I find local MTBers a pretty mellow bunch, happy to chat at trial heads. And you can 't really aviod chatting to somebody when you stuck on the chairlift with a complete stranger at the adventure park.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby linus on Tue 2nd Mar 3:54am

Maybe I would be best off starting negotiations for a new bike or two, so I don't have to wait too long once I make my mind up ;)

For the first few weeks after arriving, I won't have my bike, but I assume there's some good trail running to be had around the Port Hills?

Thanks for the pointers to the clubs, joining one of them will probably be a good way of getting to know some like minded people.

When we arrive in July, I guess conditions will be good for winter sports, as well? I'll take my Snowboard, and might even stick it on the plane so that I don't have to wait 6-8 weeks or however long we'll have to wait for shipping. I assume there must be some good spots for ski touring, too? Maybe best to find a guide for any off-piste activities, since I've no idea what the conditions are like. I'm assuming that a few people on here ski or snowboard as well, but sorry for going off topic. Any hints about starting points would be much appreciated.

I'm generally struggling finding information online, and maybe Kiwis are just out actually doing stuff, instead of sitting at their desks chatting about it on forums, as us Swedes :D
linus

Postby linus on Thu 11th Mar 9:31pm

I got the CPV visa approved, w00t!
linus

Postby Rik on Tue 16th Mar 8:22am

Cool, all you need now is to find a space in MIQ
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby linus on Tue 16th Mar 10:08pm

Rik wrote:Cool, all you need now is to find a space in MIQ

MIQ has been reserved and flights have been paid, so now it's just the minor question of selling the house.

It looks like container shipping will be 9-12 weeks, so that's going to be a long time without a bike. I might just have to pick up something second hand when we arrive.
linus

Regions - Latest Posts