Re: Looking For Tips - Holidaying And Potential Move, South Nz

Postby Conners on Wed 4th Sep 11:17am

AgrAde wrote:Yeah it's hard to have a hot or a frozen day in Wellington when the rainfall is over double Christchurch. And generally traveling sideways.

:p

That's interesting - I didn't actually know that.
And Welly is surprisingly close to Auckland in terms of average annual rainfall - I'd have expected Auckland to be a lot higher rainfall, given that it always seems to be raining there.
Living in Welly I've never thought of it as an issue, perhaps its like Nelson where the locals claim "it only ever rains at night"?

On the plus side, Welly trails drain and aren't built on clay so we can ride in the winter. Whereas in Chch the Port Hills tend to get shut down when it gets too wet?
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby philstar on Wed 4th Sep 1:49pm

Conners wrote:
AgrAde wrote:Yeah it's hard to have a hot or a frozen day in Wellington when the rainfall is over double Christchurch. And generally traveling sideways.

:p

And Welly is surprisingly close to Auckland in terms of average annual rainfall - I'd have expected Auckland to be a lot higher rainfall, given that it always seems to be raining there.

it is all raining in Auckland (but only a little bit), but when it rains in wellington it is a good rain. days (w159 a185 ) of rain vs amount of rain (w1249 mm A1284 mm)
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Wed 4th Sep 3:33pm

Wellington rain blows mostly through pretty quick . The crappy days are those ones with little wind. The best rainy ones are those from significant and immediate wind shifts. wind windy wind
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 5th Sep 7:04am

Needs moar pole.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby MattV on Thu 5th Sep 8:09pm

linus wrote:
Any good riding around Tauranga & Kati kati?

Any thoughts about bike rental/buying? We're not travelling via the US, so bringing my bike on the plane is likely to be too expensive. Rental is an option, but maybe I'm better off just buying a bike in the BOP when we first arrive, and selling it before flying home via Chch. Looks like there's a decent selection on Trademe.

My inlaws are in Tauranga so when we visit and I do take my bike I usually shoot off down to Rotorua. Ive ridden the trails in Oropi (which is only a few minutes away from their house) but, with no disrespect, it's too small and I get bored pretty quickly.
MattV
"If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Regions - Latest Posts