Calendar Event: November 27, 2011

Longbeach Coastal Challenge

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Tue 6/Sep/11 6:29pm

Come and experience the spectacular Mid Canterbury coastline on the historic Longbeach Estate with a great range of events to suit all levels of fitness. Three different course options take you from farm tracks, through stream crossings, onto the beach, up and down gullies, all with a view of the Pacific Ocean from atop the soaring cliffs. This fabulous event in rural Canterbury is a great day out with good ol’ fashioned country hospitality to make you feel at home.

With over $5000 in prizes - including cash prizemoney for the Classic Mountainbike races and the 23km Off-Road Run there is plenty on the line to win.

Register online http://www.longbeachcoastalchallenge.com , watch the video on the race info tab
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Longbeach Coastal Challenge

Postby Jonesy39 on Sun 9/Oct/11 5:03pm

A good event, orgainsed locally, lotsa fun.

Last year, there was a glitch where a number of mtn bikers in the main event took an (inadvertent) shortcut and those of us who didn't are still hurting. Hopefully, this loophole is closed off for this years event.
Jonesy39
Member for: 7 years 0 months

Postby hinds biker on Tue 11/Oct/11 7:17pm

Thanks for your comments, we have taken measures to avoid a repeat of the shortcut. There is some new track this year so hopefully we will see you there.
hinds biker
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby noel_whiteside on Sun 13/Nov/11 9:26am

What grade is going to be more suitable, the 35km classic or 23km recreational.
At the chch singletrack clubs short track racing I was averaging 3:30 per lap.
Thanks
noel_whiteside
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby hinds biker on Thu 17/Nov/11 8:10pm

Hi

I have only ridden McLeans & the plantation so I cannot compare the track you mentioned to Longbeach, however I can give you some approx averages.
35k track
Anton Cooper flew around this 2 years ago in 1 hour 9 min, the slowest was 2 hours 45, the majority of our Mid Canterbury Mountainbike Club ridders would expect to finish between 1.45 and 2.15 hours. This would involve solid riding as there are no downhills there is no coasting. The great thing about the event is the different surfaces and your speed increases or reduces accordingly. I did the 35k a couple of years ago ( then aged 48) and found it challenging however I would be classed as a weekend warrior.
23k track
Average finishing time for the same club members mentioned above would be around 1 hour, this distance is quite comfortable for the weekend warrior, we use this distance for the teams event and get a mixture of fitness levels, all finish the distance and enjoy themselves emmensly.

If you are out 3 -4 times a week ( on the bike )and can spend 2.5 hours in the saddle without any problems I would recommend the 35k course.

This is an event where you can go hard out, however if its not your day and things are not going well you can still finish and enjoy it.

Hope this helps, look forward to seeing you.
hinds biker

Postby hinds biker on Thu 17/Nov/11 8:11pm

Hi

I have only ridden McLeans & the plantation so I cannot compare the track you mentioned to Longbeach, however I can give you some approx averages.
35k track
Anton Cooper flew around this 2 years ago in 1 hour 9 min, the slowest was 2 hours 45, the majority of our Mid Canterbury Mountainbike Club ridders would expect to finish between 1.45 and 2.15 hours. This would involve solid riding as there are no downhills there is no coasting. The great thing about the event is the different surfaces and your speed increases or reduces accordingly. I did the 35k a couple of years ago ( then aged 48) and found it challenging however I would be classed as a weekend warrior.
23k track
Average finishing time for the same club members mentioned above would be around 1 hour, this distance is quite comfortable for the weekend warrior, we use this distance for the teams event and get a mixture of fitness levels, all finish the distance and enjoy themselves emmensly.

If you are out 3 -4 times a week ( on the bike )and can spend 2.5 hours in the saddle without any problems I would recommend the 35k course.

This is an event where you can go hard out, however if its not your day and things are not going well you can still finish and enjoy it.

Hope this helps, look forward to seeing you.
hinds biker

Postby harry1 on Sat 19/Nov/11 9:48pm

please could somebody tell me if the longbeach coastal challenge course is suitable to be raced on a cyclocross bike?
harry1
Member for: 6 years 0 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Sat 19/Nov/11 10:06pm

yes, its not a challenging course its mainly flat. there is a short beach section which you might run but its a good fun flat out blast.
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby harry1 on Sat 19/Nov/11 10:15pm

thanks for that info,don't have disc braking on CX,still unsure.
harry1
Member for: 6 years 0 months

Postby hinds biker on Sun 20/Nov/11 11:26am

Hi all

I was down at the Timaru 12 hour ride yesterday, fantastic track and the weather was great .A rider mentioned there were some considerable delays in getting times up last year. To prevent this occurring again we have introduced electronic timing and designed our own website. The intention is to produce times and results on the day and have the results up on our website very quickly.
hinds biker

Canterbury MTB Club | Canterbury University MTB Club | Clubs | Cycling | Featured Events | Mountain Biking | Nelson MTB Club | News | Public Notices | Running - Latest Posts