Postby Muz on Fri 9/May/08 5:02pm

Thanks everyone for the good suggestions - just what I was looking for :thumbsup:
Muz
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Gracie on Fri 9/May/08 5:10pm

Don't get me wrong Inzane, I am all for riders challenging themselves on these tracks. I'd just hate to think we are heading towards a total ban by riding tracks that we are not allowed on!! If you have the strength and the ability to ride these tracks then thats awesome and I would encourage you wholeheartedly - as long as we are not doing irreparable damage.

The sign at the top of Mt Grey is long gone - I assume someone knocked it down. Have read somewhere that the 4wd track is the only legal track in Mt Grey.

I coach a group of children who tramp the 4 Peaks - Grey, Thomas, Richardson & Oxford. Every time we go up Oxford I see mtb tracks. The children are totally in awe of anybody who would bike down there!!

I will talk to this guy and see what I can find out. I totally agree about the singletrack. I ride in Ashley Forest etc about twice a week and find it frustrating that there is not alot of singletrack for me to ride on. Can't get better at it if I don't practice. It's not like these tracks are going to be mobbed like the Port Hills!
Gracie
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby Gracie on Fri 9/May/08 5:12pm

Muz wrote: Thanks everyone for the good suggestions - just what I was looking for :thumbsup:

Sorry for hijacking your thread!! :0
Gracie
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby inzane on Fri 9/May/08 5:26pm

Gracie wrote: . I'd just hate to think we are heading towards a total ban by riding tracks that we are not allowed on!!

go for it - as long as we are not doing irreparable damage.

I totally agree. I dont ride tracks that I think will be damaged or ride where I know we are not allowed to bike.

Have read somewhere that the 4wd track is the only legal track in Mt Grey.
Yep, it says this on the DOC website, I found it today...

I will talk to this guy and see what I can find out. I totally agree about the singletrack. I ride in Ashley Forest etc about twice a week and find it frustrating that there is not alot of singletrack for me to ride on. Can't get better at it if I don't practice. It's not like these tracks are going to be mobbed like the Port Hills!

You need to get some people building out your way! The amount of building going on around the port hills is impressive with Living Springs, Haven and Port Hills track builds going on. This is definitely the time of year for building... the earth is soft enough to dig and many of the tracks are getting too wet to ride without damaging them!

Yep. Sorry for the Hijack Muz!!
inzane
"Ride better, ride faster"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby JohnnyC on Fri 9/May/08 7:09pm

Mt. Hutt rules, I've only got to ride it properly twice :( Last time it was suuuuuper dark, pitch black by about half way down and we only had one little light between 3 of us :lol:

Awesome track though, lots of roots and tight switchbacks which I'm not really used to so its a good challenge :thumbsup:
JohnnyC
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Muz on Fri 9/May/08 7:39pm

inzane wrote: Gracie, as far as I know there are no signs out at Mt Oxford that either say "bikes allowed" or "no bikes", so I figure it is all free game!...

To be honest though, the Warfedale is enough of a challenge for most people and so any other tracks like the Mt Oxford track are going to be ridden very rarely. It is only the very occasionaly looney who decides to push for a couple of hours to get to the top with a bike!!

I like the sound of Mt Oxford - I'll look into that one a bit closer as it sounds like that sort of thing that I'm looking for.

Slim wrote: there is a couple of good long tech descents in Hanmer but you'll need to find a local prepared to guide you.

Cheers - I've got a suitable guide lined up already! I haven't been to Hanmer in years - it'd be cool to get back and check it out again....I've got good memories of some forest trails there.

JohnnyC wrote: Mt. Hutt rules, I've only got to ride it properly twice :( Last time it was suuuuuper dark, pitch black by about half way down and we only had one little light between 3 of us :lol:

Awesome track though, lots of roots and tight switchbacks which I'm not really used to so its a good challenge :thumbsup:

That sounds damn good too!
(the light comment makes me think of a couple of funny rides in Wellington I've had and a particularly good ride home from a pub in CHCH years ago - but that's another story).
Muz
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Hub on Fri 9/May/08 7:49pm

jesus Muz i'm sure your Bro will have a few hook ups for you! :D
Hub
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby Hub on Fri 9/May/08 7:50pm

Infact i'll ask him for you tomorrow if you like!
Hub
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby mtb_sloth on Fri 9/May/08 9:20pm

Scotts saddle at Mt Hutt is a must. Technically a waliking track but so worthy.
mtb_sloth
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Canterbury | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts