Living Under High Voltage Lines??

Postby ShoreBoy on Tue 14/Sep/10 11:11pm

Ok, so the wife and I are in the market for our first house. We've found one that's damn near perfect in every way, except it's under some high voltage lines. The house is about 70m away from the pylon itself, but the lines run pretty much right over the master bedroom. I know there's a stigma about living under lines like that, but I don't know if there's any truth to the myriad rumours floating around the interweb.

After looking around the net, there seems to be alot of conjecture and panic about it causing all kinds of afflictions, but very little of it is backed up with any conclusive evidence. So what does the Vorb Massive think? I'll take all opinions into consideration, but I'd be very interested in those who might work in the electricity field.

Oh, and we're aware that the lines might cause issues with resale, but we're more wanting to know about the health side of it.
ShoreBoy
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Living Under High Voltage Lines??

Postby bubbaa on Tue 14/Sep/10 11:12pm

right now i'd be looking for fault lines not power lines! :hmmm:
bubbaa
"bite me"
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby ShoreBoy on Tue 14/Sep/10 11:14pm

True. Don't think there are any fault lines in Massey!
ShoreBoy
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 14/Sep/10 11:14pm

Think of it as free birth control :thumbsup:
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby bubbaa on Tue 14/Sep/10 11:16pm

True. Don't think there are any fault lines in Massey!

10 days ago I would have said that about chch!! :crazy:
Last edited by bubbaa on Tue 14/Sep/10 11:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubbaa
"bite me"

Postby Oli on Tue 14/Sep/10 11:19pm

Many years ago I flatted in a house under power lines for a year and a bit - I can't speak about health issues (although it might explain a few current issues :hmmm: ) but the biggest drag was the crackle/hum in even slightly damp air, and I swear there was a constant feeling of being slightly on edge, which I put down to the ionised air.

Personally, never again.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby cruiser on Tue 14/Sep/10 11:20pm

I'd look elsewhere. There's a very good reason why these houses are so cheap. Plenty of journal and anecdotal information on the health effects; often prevalent with children.

There was a doco about them recently, a neighbourhood of uncanny cancers and leukemia etc.

Do your due diligence, I've had the wife point out similarly ridiculous cheap sections under cables. Remember the brain and nervous system is an electrical network.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby bubbaa on Tue 14/Sep/10 11:24pm

Do NOT quote me on this cos its probably wrong
but
i undestand there is a definite increased risk in childhood leukemia associated with living in close proximity to HV lines.
Making this up as i go along
I also understand that it makes no-sense at all that this relationship should exist and is probably spurious association because the magnetic field present around a line degrades as the inverse square of teh distance from the line so is pretty extermely weak at the level of a bungalow.

enter engineers and epidemiologists stage right . . .

I wouldn't live under them by choice
Last edited by bubbaa on Tue 14/Sep/10 11:38pm, edited 2 times in total.
bubbaa
"bite me"

Postby Crashed on Tue 14/Sep/10 11:25pm

Try to get Insurance, if a line drops on the house or a lines mans tools (yes it has happened ,ended in big shit fight) ,this put me off buying a house that was perfact ,bought the same style house in the Bays and all our power is underground .
Last edited by Crashed on Wed 15/Sep/10 5:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crashed
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby cruiser on Tue 14/Sep/10 11:33pm

:crazy: try a google scholar search on "high voltage health". I just did a medical database search, there's plenty of guff about them. You should be able to see google scholar abstracts.

Heaps on kids, but what is immediate in kids, is sure to affect adults too.
cruiser

Postby Crashed on Tue 14/Sep/10 11:38pm

Now shore boy get back on the right side of the bridge you dont know where those westies have been you might catch something .
There's a very good reason why the houses are so cheap .....there in Massey :D
And one last reason you dont look like a Westie Boy and it just sounds wrong for you :D
Crashed

Postby bubbaa on Tue 14/Sep/10 11:39pm

ShoreBoy wrote:Ok, so the wife and I are in the market for our first house. We've found one that's damn near perfect in every way, except it's under some high voltage lines. The house is about 70m away from the pylon itself, but the lines run pretty much right over the master bedroom. I know there's a stigma about living under lines like that, but I don't know if there's any truth to the myriad rumours floating around the interweb.

After looking around the net, there seems to be alot of conjecture and panic about it causing all kinds of afflictions, but very little of it is backed up with any conclusive evidence. So what does the Vorb Massive think? I'll take all opinions into consideration, but I'd be very interested in those who might work in the electricity field.

Oh, and we're aware that the lines might cause issues with resale, but we're more wanting to know about the health side of it.

possible benefits to go with those risks??
bubbaa
"bite me"

Postby cruiser on Tue 14/Sep/10 11:50pm

at least the buzzzzzzz would keep them awake for other things ???
cruiser

Postby Crashed on Tue 14/Sep/10 11:53pm

bubba your not thinking about 11000 volt hard wired sex toys again are you?
Crashed

Postby bubbaa on Tue 14/Sep/10 11:53pm

could just think of it as a"biomag" - in the whole house - surely must improve health (and sex life) :blink:
bubbaa
"bite me"

Health | Sifting - Latest Posts