Re: Living Under High Voltage Lines??

Postby happybaboon on Wed 15/Sep/10 9:43am

znomit wrote:If the house is cheap then you could use the money saved to keep the family supplied with tinfoil hats.

I heard that balled up tinfoil suppositories work better.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 15/Sep/10 9:46am

you used to be able to work out the type of line from the number of insulators (useless info from a previous life): one big round pie-plate insulator (glass or ceramic) =11kv: 3 = 33kV, 6=66 and so on. they do string them (look at the big 110kV and 220kV main distro grid: though I think the 220 kV and up (and 500kV DC line from the south island dams to the north island) use bigger insulators.

Dont take that as gospel though: I am reaching a loooooong way back into a previous life and I may not be remembering it right.
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby phunk on Wed 15/Sep/10 9:47am

Free powered garden lights though! Just plant some fluro tubes in the ground and the lines will power them. Schweet.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby JumpR on Wed 15/Sep/10 9:56am

ShoreBoy wrote:Yeah, you all seem to be saying more or less what we're thinking. I just had another look on google earth, and it seems like they're some kind of smaller lines. They're still attached to pylons, but there are some bigger ones further over. don't know if that makes a difference or not.

While the lines across the site may be small at the moment, bear in mind there is the potential for the lines to be upgraded (increase voltage, increase the size or number of lines etc. Such changes are subject to these standards: http://www.mfe.govt.nz/publications/rma ... l#overview)
JumpR

Postby jo on Wed 15/Sep/10 10:02am

ShoreBoy wrote:Yeah, you all seem to be saying more or less what we're thinking. I just had another look on google earth, and it seems like they're some kind of smaller lines. They're still attached to pylons, but there are some bigger ones further over. don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Still looks like an elec pylon to me.
I probably wouldnt want to live near a 220kV pylon. Having said that, we have surprisingly few 220kV lines. I bet if you walked up to the pylon it would have a nameplate of some kind to tell you what line its on. It may be 110kV.
Its not the pylon itself that I'd be concerned about, but the distance to the loaded line above you.

Transpower have some stuff here. http://www.gridnewzealand.co.nz/f63,576 ... 5-2009.pdf
They rightly point out that its carcinogenic potential is kinda on par with coffee.

All that aside, the pain you will more likely feel is difficulty selling. But having said that, you're in Massey. Depending on the part of massey, its less likely to be an issue.

The lines are not likely to increase in voltage or size of lines - there are specific pylon structures for each voltage, specific clearance heights for the lines. Increase in voltage or size would be a major PITA for the system operator.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 15/Sep/10 10:05am

jo wrote:Transpower have some stuff here. http://www.gridnewzealand.co.nz/f63,576 ... 5-2009.pdf
They rightly point out that its carcinogenic potential is kinda on par with coffee.

That's a very retarded comparison for them to make :blink:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"

Postby Spyder on Wed 15/Sep/10 10:06am

If Shoreboy and his wife are considering buying then that surely means that when it comes time to sell that others will also consider it. It just needs to be discounted to an appropriate price.
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Rik on Wed 15/Sep/10 10:19am

jo wrote:Transpower have some stuff here. http://www.gridnewzealand.co.nz/f63,576 ... 5-2009.pdf

Splurrg - Coffees carcinogenic :ib: :cry:
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby cruiser on Wed 15/Sep/10 10:23am

I tink everything is carcinogenic these days. Everything in moderation, even powerlines

Some studies show an effect <600m of lines and definitely within 200m of lines. Pylons themselves pose greater issues with ion emmisions, I'd hate to think what the effect of 2 side-by-side is, near 2 pylons :crazy: :crazy:

The studies will struggle to prove anything officially, but that doesn't mean they're untrue. There are ethical and funding limits to studies, plus the guys (powerco's/ govt) with the really big bucks can keep the status quo by squashing findings with jargon.

Don't even go there, Look elsewhere. Money isn't everything, neither is a friggen house.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby pissface on Wed 15/Sep/10 10:23am

My mate Igor says he's "thearched high and low for thomewhere jutht like it" and wants to know if you'd rent out the shed.
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby philstar on Wed 15/Sep/10 10:56am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
ShoreBoy wrote:Oh, and we're aware that the lines might cause issues with resale, but we're more wanting to know about the health side of it.

my 2c:
dont buy it. . I'm guessing, but say you had a pool of 100 people looking for that type of house, in that price range, in that location. What do you think the negative publicity/hype/bullshit will do to your buyer pool?.

like I say, one mans opinion.

but if the price is already low because of this then you just get a cheep house, that you have to sell for the same discount as your brought it for. all you have to do is decide if the discount for being under power lines is sufficient.

as for health effects from my memory there was one meta study in the UK the found and increased risk of childhood leukaemia, but the increase is of the order of the uncertainty in the study.

The main argument against any effects from high-tension lines is that there is no correlation with proximity, you would expect people living directly under lines to be effected significantly more than people 2 doors down.

The only mechanism that has held up to scrutiny for the effects of power lines is that close (within 300mm I think) to the power lines it is possible to ionise particles in the air and those particles may migrate down to where they have direct contact with people. But it seams a bit improbable to me.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby feddydafish on Wed 15/Sep/10 11:02am

If you look closely at the left hand side of that second image, you can clearly see that the radiation from those high voltage wires has caused a little white car to undergo cytokinesis. That can't be good...
feddydafish
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby ShoreBoy on Wed 15/Sep/10 11:09am

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
my 2c:

dont buy it. NOt for any specious reason about "oooh it might give you cancer" or any crap like that, because fairly clearly that is not the case. The issue is that a lot of people are a lot more stupid than you or I, and the problem will be when you come to sell it. I'm guessing, but say you had a pool of 100 people looking for that type of house, in that price range, in that location. What do you think the negative publicity/hype/bullshit will do to your buyer pool?. I know its impossible to say (and there are a myriad of factors influencing what punters do and don't buy) but why reduce your pool of potential on-purchasers any more than you have to? a percentage of otherwise qualified buyers will drive by and go "Oooooh Gerard, look how close the high tension lines are. I wont have little Tarquin growing up in that house, drive on....."

Stuff like all the holes in the walls and floor from where you had your love swing and dungeon can be plastered over, your chartreuse master bedroom can be repainted, but great big fuck off powerlines are hard to hide. Though I bet the ad you responded to had photos that carefully didnt show them.

like I say, one mans opinion.

To be honest, I reckon that's more of a concern than the possible health effects, especially given how much electronic shit that emits ELFs we already surround ourselves with.
We're doing our research, but there's an awful lot of morons in the world that will probably just discount it straight away. Interestingly, we saw the place at night, and I didn't see the lines straight away, the photos on the net don't show them, the agent didn't mention them and he also said there hasn't been much interest...
ShoreBoy
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby kona.stinky. on Wed 15/Sep/10 11:31am

Personally I wouldn't do it, might just be rumors about people getting cancer etc, but I probably wouldn't risk it any way.
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby phunk on Wed 15/Sep/10 11:36am

We purchased a house next to the rail line knowing that we would have paid more for the same elsewhere, but with the knowledge that the rail line was being electrified in the future and hence much quieter and hopefully hold or improve the value of our place, I cant see any mitigating factors being under power lines though, unless its really really cheap.

Friends of ours rent a place under HV lines and hate it.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Health | Sifting - Latest Posts