Ay Up Lights

Postby WayneG on Sun 26/Aug/12 10:12pm

Ok I'm after a good set of lights and with the Thriller coming up I better get my a in to g. I am looking at getting the Ay Up's V4, is it worth getting the 40% higher power set or just stick with normal power lights. I can see good and bad points with both ways. I am currently using a DX magicshine 900lum light or what ever they are called. I want something a bit better and want to run a light on the bars as well as the helmet. Any advice would be great, thanks.
WayneG
"Look mum I can fly"
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Re: Ay Up Lights

Postby Germinator on Sun 26/Aug/12 10:37pm

Hi, you can get some Ay-Up's really cheaply on trademe: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =507830931

OR you can get a light that I think is even better, the X2 Gloworm: http://www.glowormlites.co.nz/products?product_id=24315

Whatever you buy: Happy riding.

G
Germinator
"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle. Err, bicycle!"
Member for: 5 years 7 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Sun 26/Aug/12 10:39pm

Buy another DX 900 for your 'bars - I doubt shelling out hundreds on Ayups will provide any more light than two of them...
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 27/Aug/12 7:08am

Dr. Fuentes wrote:Buy another DX 900 for your 'bars - I doubt shelling out hundreds on Ayups will provide any more light than two of them...

+1

i run a 900 on my bars and a 1200 mini on my helmet... works mint bol
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby PeloNZ on Mon 27/Aug/12 10:30am

the light weight of the Ayups on your helmet makes a difference when doing lap, after lap, after lap... at the Thriller
PeloNZ
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Mon 27/Aug/12 12:36pm

PeloNZ wrote:the light weight of the Ayups on your helmet makes a difference when doing lap, after lap, after lap... at the Thriller

Do you mean the combined weight of lights and battery, or just the light unit? I've used Ay-ups for several years of 12 & 24 events and can't say I really notice the weight of the light unit... I use an extension cord and carry the battery in my pocket.

WayneG: The 40% upgrade was well worth it for me in terms of lighting... but it does cut down on your battery life, which is something you'll need to consider.

Having said that - can you borrow another light the same as yours for your bars and try that out? If it's only for the DNT that you need more lighting, I wouldn't go spending truckloads :thumbsup:
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby jo on Mon 27/Aug/12 12:50pm

Scaredy_Cat wrote: I use an extension cord and carry the battery in my pocket.

I should probably do this. :thumbsup: I find the weight rocks my helmet around when I'm riding down stairs and such things. Good idea. :)
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby WayneG on Mon 27/Aug/12 6:31pm

I have tried my light on my bars and another one on the helmet and the light kept dropping as the band could not hold it, than the battery came off and ended up in bits on a high speed down hill. So am wanting something better for the bars and something light for the helmet for long rides. I'm leaning towards standard power so I get the longer battery life. The 2 lights will still be brighter than my 1 light so should get away with it.
WayneG
"Look mum I can fly"
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby Dr. Fuentes on Mon 27/Aug/12 7:14pm

Get a standard powered ayup. :thumbsup:
Dr. Fuentes
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Postby MasCam on Mon 27/Aug/12 7:54pm

If you get the high powered ay-ups the dim mode is about the same as the standard ones as far as I am aware. So you can have the extra light when you want it and still get good runtimes. Of course if you get the standard ones then you can get even longer runtimes on the dim mode.

I have the high power ay-ups and if I were buying again now would have to give some serious consideration to a pair of the glowworm X2's

Chris.
MasCam
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby Germinator on Tue 28/Aug/12 4:49pm

Yep, I agree with the Ay-Up versus Gloworm comment. A whole bunch of us did a "light shoot out" a couple of months ago with all sorts of lights. The Gloworm was much brighter than the Ay-Up's, about the same weight and it is significantly cheaper.

I also never have batteries on my helmet. Minimising weight on your head is good if you crash, etc, That's why they keep making helmets lighter and lighter. That plus the chi-chi factor for the weight weenies amongst us. I also don't like the battery hanging around the frame so I just stick to one strong light on the helmet and that is all I need.

Cheers.
Germinator

Postby pushbikerider on Tue 28/Aug/12 8:24pm

Germinator wrote:Yep, I agree with the Ay-Up versus Gloworm comment. A whole bunch of us did a "light shoot out" a couple of months ago with all sorts of lights. The Gloworm was much brighter than the Ay-Up's, about the same weight and it is significantly cheaper.

What age and output type was the ay-up? as over time the ay-up lights have got brighter

and the nice thing with the ay-ups is that you can send them back for upgrades if and when required / desired

at the start of this winter I sent my 3 year old ones back for an upgrade, so that I had light output at a similar or better level than most people on the trails / or competeing at the likes of day-night thriller (as there is nothing worse than riding in your own shaddow when someone is behyind oyu with a brighter light)
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Germinator on Thu 30/Aug/12 10:28am

"What age and output type was the ay-up? as over time the ay-up lights have got brighter"

Good question. There were a variety and I think some of them were pretty new, maybe 1-2 year's old?

Some of the others had other lights that claim to be "1,200 lumen"... There is a very entertaining thread re this on Vorb one but let's just say that certain companies have "lumen inflation", whereas the Gloworm 1,200 seems to be real, not just theoretical.

Up-gradeability is nice (and proably more sustainable too) but at the end of the day you have to compare:
1. Purchase price plus up-grade price of Brand A X years later VERSUS
2. Purchase price plus (if needed) re-purchase price of Brand B X year's later

Crickey, it's getting mathematical and probabilistic!
Germinator

Postby jo on Thu 30/Aug/12 11:46am

I've got older ayups, but I can say uncategorically that modern lights are brighter than mine. Having my own shadow in front of me is a touch annoying. I've had my lightsets since 2007. Replaced the batteries, but not the set.

However, I like a two-lights setup. And the ayups are small and easy to pack. As SC said, you can get the batt off your head with the extension cable. I note that my previous gloworm sat way higher on my head than my ayups. Last night one of our riders didnt have sufficient light so we simply swapped helmets and rocked on.

I like the ayup setup, wouldnt hesitate to replace them with the same, but I know that they're not the brightest on the market.

Maybe I should sent them away like pbr said. But maybe I'lll wait for daylight savings.... :paranoid:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Thu 30/Aug/12 1:16pm

Compare them to mine sometime and see what you think?
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts